Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Vintage Page-Lewis .22LR Model C (Read 12688 times)
Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Vintage Page-Lewis .22LR Model C
Reply #15 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Page and Lewis were "downsized" from the Stevens Company when Savage took over, in exactly the manner that modern mid- to upper-level managers are dumped today in the merger&acquisition game.  No "golden parachutes" back then, so they formed their own company and started doing what they knew best, making Single Shot rifles.  I've seen an ad for the Page-Lewis rifle that said "Before the War prices, better than before the war quality."  They were not wrong; the little rifle is as sound as a Favorite, at least, and as well put together.

Too bad Page died so untimely; the company might have gotten a solid foothold before the Depression started.  In any case, Savage was nervous enough to buy them out.  It could truthfully be said that the Page-Lewis was the last of the Stevens Boy's Rifles.

I have a Model A that needs a reline, a working Model B, most of the actions for a couple of others, including a Model C, and a Model D that's missing the bolt.  (Anybody got a bolt they want to sell?)  Smiley

A friend had a Model C in great shape but missing the unique stamped metal tang sight.  Incredibly, I found one at the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show and gave it to him.  Every once in a while, lightning strikes; it's great to be there when it happens.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly wrote on Dec 2nd, 2016 at 7:59am:
Correction: George S. Lewis of Page Lewis was NOT the designer of the Lewis machine gun. This was one of those internet "facts" that needed to be checked out. I'm sorry for any confusion.

Whew !    Grin

<div class=

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Dec 2nd, 2016 at 9:40am:
Page and Lewis were "downsized" from the Stevens Company when Savage took over, in exactly the manner that modern mid- to upper-level managers are dumped today in the merger&acquisition game.  No "golden parachutes" back then, so they formed their own company and started doing what they knew best, making Single Shot rifles.  I've seen an ad for the Page-Lewis rifle that said "Before the War prices, better than before the war quality."  They were not wrong; the little rifle is as sound as a Favorite, at least, and as well put together.

Too bad Page died so untimely; the company might have gotten a solid foothold before the Depression started.  In any case, Savage was nervous enough to buy them out.  It could truthfully be said that the Page-Lewis was the last of the Stevens Boy's Rifles.

I have a Model A that needs a reline, a working Model B, most of the actions for a couple of others, including a Model C, and a Model D that's missing the bolt.  (Anybody got a bolt they want to sell?)  Smiley

A friend had a Model C in great shape but missing the unique stamped metal tang sight.  Incredibly, I found one at the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show and gave it to him.  Every once in a while, lightning strikes; it's great to be there when it happens.

So Page was kept on after the Westinghouse takeover?  That I didn't know.   But sources on the whole affair are so sketchy.

<div class=

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
There's a pretty good writeup on the Page-Lewis Company and its rifles in Jim Perkins' American Boy's Rifles 1890-1945.

The advertisement I mentioned is reproduced there.

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
This is Great guys ! Need more Pictures of these great little shooters!  ............Ol Deuce Grin

Do The Best With What You Got !!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint