Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What sight or scope? (Read 3510 times)
Bulley

What sight or scope?
Nov 21st, 2016 at 1:38am
Print Post  
Hi folks. I was hoping I may be able to get some advice from you all. I'll have to hold my hands up and admit to not knowing much about rifles in general. So apologies in advance for lack of knowledge. My brother, however, is a rifle owner and owns a number of single shot rifles. He has a landmark birthday coming up and his wife has suggested to me that a scope or a sight for one of his rifles would be a gift that he would be over the moon with. But here's my problem, I understand enough to realise that a single shot rifle and a bolt-action hunting rifle are to totally different beasts, so I am not sure what kind of sight would be appropriate for an SSR. I have searched on all the usual websites such as ebay.com, amazon.com and (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and found plenty of examples of sights, scopes and even laser dots! But I am really fishing the dark unless I know what would be suitable for this particular style of rifle. Could anybody help me out? Thanks in advance. 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2016 at 9:37pm by Bulley »  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: What sight or scope?
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 2:36am
Print Post  
What caliber of single shot?  What will it be used for? Price range? Modern or traditional?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Bulley

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 3:25am
Print Post  
Apologies Schuetzenmiester. I have no idea. So I need to take those factors into account, ok. Maybe I can get the info from his wife. Thanks for replying.

IP Logged

Travelor

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 9:09am
Print Post  
It will help us help you if we know what the rifle is and the intended use of it is.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 11:29am
Print Post  
     It is a nice thought, but buying shooting accessories for someone else is likely to result in disappointment.   It'd be like buying shoes & clothes for someone without knowing if he is going hunting or going dancing. Or even what KIND of hunting or dancing.   I think you have to involve him in the selection, even if it means ruining a surprise.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Might consider getting him a gift certificate at some place like MVA. They sell both sights and scopes for fine single shot rifles, so he could use the gift certificate to get exactly what he needs, and not have to return something that wasn't correct.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
This is probably where the friends wife could do a good bit of detective work and drop questions to narrow down which particular iron sight or scope, and for which particular rifle, is at the top of the friends wish list.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Nov 21st, 2016 at 11:34am:
Might consider getting him a gift certificate at some place like MVA. 

Or a gift certificate to Buffalo Arms and a gift membership to the ASSRA!

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

Bulley

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the pointers guys. I think you are right in saying that it could turn out to be a bit of a disaster trying to second guess what exactly to buy him when there are so many variable. A gift certificate is the obvious solution. I will take a look at MVA and Buffalo arms. A gift membership to ASSRA is also an excellent idea. I will pass this on to his wife so she can suggest it to other family members. Cheers folks!

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2016 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
don't we all wish we had friends and family like he obviously does. Cheesy

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint