Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Haenel/Aydt disassembly (Read 5767 times)
sharps4590

Haenel/Aydt disassembly
Nov 7th, 2016 at 7:55am
Print Post  
I have a first iteration of an "Original Haenel/Aydt".  Occasionally I am getting a failure to fire and the firing pin strike has always been light.  Whether spring, crud or firing pin difficulties I have no idea.  I want to take it down and give it a thorough cleaning and at least look at the internals but I have precious little idea where to start.  Is there a take down description or exploded view available some where or is it possible someone could explain the process?  I've been dinking with rifles for 50 years and while definitely not remotely close to being a gunsmith I am quite mechanically inclined, handy, patient and cautious.  

Thanks!!

Vic

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Haenel/Aydt disassembly
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Unlatch and remove the trigger plate. Rotate the takedown lever clockwise until it just clears the extractor (the shaft the block pivots on is keyed and the slot will line up just after the extractor is cleared). Push or pull out the shaft. remove the extractor and the block assembly will drop out. At least that is the way I remember it.

IP Logged

sharps4590

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
one, does the trigger assembly simply lift out?  It appears so.

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Yes it does. Make sure the trigger assembly clears the wood around it. When you get the trigger out , you can't help but marvel at the workmanship that went into the making of it.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Yeah, it is hooked on the forward end so just lift the hind end.

IP Logged

sharps4590

Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
I didn't take the action all the way down however, you're both right!!!  Holy Cow! That thing looks better on the inside than a lot of what is sold today over the counter does on the outside.

I've been collecting, shooting and working up brass and data for several old German and Austrian rifles over the last....7-10 years I suppose....and that kind of work is something I've rather come to expect.  However, I think this old Haenel is a step above even them, and that's saying something.

IP Logged

sharps4590

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 7:46am
Print Post  
One and LR, thanks to both of you for your help.  I took the rifle all the way down yesterday and it was surprisingly clean as a whistle inside.  I had considered and it had been suggested I try large pistol primers.  Them being shorter than large rifle I wondered if perhaps they would be too short and even less of a firing pin impact be delivered.  Yesterday I did load one cartridge with a large pistol primer and the difference in impact was significant.  The LP primer looked much more as it should rather than the tiny dent on LR primers.  After examining the internals and finding nothing wrong there and seeing the difference between LR and LP impact I believe it is a main spring strength issue.  It's obvious it isn't a firing pin or dirt issue.  I loaded 10 rounds with LP primers but won't get to check them for any difference in accuracy for a couple days.

Thanks again to both of you.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
you might watch your primer seating depth.  The H/A I acquired started misfiring and got progressively worse even with softer primers. It turned out there was a hairline crack in the bend of the misprint   Steve Durren replaced it for me and now it ignites all primers much better.     Im not sure if the Germans of the original had the variations in primers we do.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

sharps4590

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2016 at 6:48am
Print Post  
hairline crack in the misprint?  I assume that was supposed to be mainspring?  I didn't see anything in mine but I did not put it under a magnifying glass.  Thanks for the suggestion about primer seating depth, it is something I am always conscious of.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2016 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
In the "misprint" how delightfully ironic a "ought-to co-wrecked" error.

I may be wrong but I think I recall problem with some pistol primer being slightly "shorter" than equal diameter rifle primers-----but that was some years back---don't remember which cartridge I was working with at that time

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2016 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Yes, large pistol primers are shorter than large rifle primers but it hasn't been a problem in my old rifles where the ease of ignition trumps all.

IP Logged

cmargs

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2016 at 9:28am
Print Post  
New mainsprings can be made from smith&wesson leaf mainsprings. barely grind off hooks and fashion spacer to fit in the opposite end to fit the small radius to hold it. I have made some. cmargs.

IP Logged

sharps4590

Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Thanks again to all of you.  cmarg, that is good to know and I will file that information for hopefully unneeded future use.

I did shoot the pistol primer loaded rounds and there was no difference in accuracy from them to LR primed rounds.  For the time being it appears my problem is solved!!!  Now to "practice, practice, practice" with the fine old rifle, which I have been able to do about every day the last couple weeks.  Groups and scores are improving, albeit slowly.... Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint