Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Perersoli Sharps saddle ring carbine (Read 3078 times)
George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Perersoli Sharps saddle ring carbine
Nov 15th, 2016 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Yesterday at one of our pawn /sporting goods stores there was a Perersoli Sharps saddle ring carbine.  Anybody have any experience with one of these carbines.  I didn't look at the caliber, but guess it is 45-70.   Price was certainly affordable at $900 or so if I remember right.

George

IP Logged

Brian

Re: Perersoli Sharps saddle ring carbine
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2016 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Yes I do, several years back purchased one Navy Arms stamped Pedersoli and am very happy with it. Bore is normal size, internal parts are finished very well (better than one of my Shiloh's ) it is 45/70 shoots good, have taken sveral deer with it and it has the later 2 piece transfer bar / firing pin. The only thing I don't like is the high half cock notch compared to Shiloh.

Brian

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2016 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Thanks Brian,

I will have to take a closer look at it.  Mostly I prefer the originals, or Shiloh, but this one is priced low enough that if my horse rolls over it I won't cry too much.  I haven't been able to find where Pedersoli is still making the carbines anymore.   

George

IP Logged

Brian

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
I prefer the originals as well, I made my longest shot ever on a deer w/my original 50 70 sharps carbine--about 12 feet (had to move my foot out of the way to make the shot)

Brian

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
No concern with any of the Pedersoli rifles.  All have match quality barrels equal to the C Sharps - Higgenbotham and Shilohs

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
I wonder if their barrels have always been that way, or just the later production ones?  I have a Pedersoli "Mortimer" flintlock and the quality is very good.  I have no idea when it was made though.

I took another look at the carbine this morning.  It is 45-70.  The rifling looks pretty shallow to me, but I haven't looked at many Pedersoli cartridge rifles.  Is there anyplace I can look up the serial number (SH47xx) to see about when it was made?

George

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Look at the proof mark ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
OK, next time I stop there I'll see waht the proof mark is.  Hopefully I can see it without pulling the forarm.  They might frown on that.

One other thing I notices is that the breech block drops a good bit lower than any Sharps I have worked with.  Something like 1/4 inch or so below the lowest part of the chamber.  Is this pretty standard for the Pedersoly's?

George

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint