Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Re: Sporting rolling block questions (Read 2404 times)
Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Sporting rolling block questions
Nov 6th, 2016 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Would make an attractive wall-hanger, but for a gun that's been restored/refinished, in just about the most undesirable chambering I can imagine, it does not sound like a bargain to me.

Can of course be relined, rebarreled, etc., but that's adding many hundreds of $ to the ticket.

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2016 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
According to Cartridges of the world, the 46 rimfire used a bullet .459 in diameter.  Having been refinished it probably has little collector value so I'd be tempted to convert it to centerfire and rechamber for the 45-70.  I don't think either would be a big deal.  Of course, that is assuming the bore is decent.  I think the 46 extra long used about a 300 grain bullet.  Would make a slick deer rifle.  The asking price might be a little on the high side, but not out of reason.

George
Salmon, Idaho

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2016 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
George Babits wrote on Nov 6th, 2016 at 9:00pm:
According to Cartridges of the world, the 46 rimfire used a bullet .459 in diameter.  Having been refinished it probably has little collector value so I'd be tempted to convert it to centerfire and rechamber for the 45-70. 
George
Salmon, Idaho

Excellent idea, & shouldn't cost too much.   

IP Logged

Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2016 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
George Babits wrote on Nov 6th, 2016 at 9:00pm:
According to Cartridges of the world, the 46 rimfire used a bullet .459 in diameter.  Having been refinished it probably has little collector value so I'd be tempted to convert it to centerfire and rechamber for the 45-70.  I don't think either would be a big deal.  Of course, that is assuming the bore is decent.  I think the 46 extra long used about a 300 grain bullet.  Would make a slick deer rifle.  The asking price might be a little on the high side, but not out of reason.

George
Salmon, Idaho

I'd think this is exactly as good or bad a plan as the bore condition of the gun

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Barrel looks to be re-finished..I'll bet that "F" is really an "E"...for .46 extra-long rimfire ctg.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint