Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Original Creedmoor Rifles (Read 4714 times)
SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Original Creedmoor Rifles
Oct 27th, 2016 at 6:45am
Print Post  
Here are three (3) original Creedmoor rifles. All in 44-100. The history on the two Remingtons is not well known, but the Maynard was owned for a number of years by Neidner, who installed the recoil pad. When a new one put on to replace the crumbling old one there was a note from Neidner under the pad giving the history of his installation of same. At under 10# and in 44-100, a recoil pad is a good thing. Perhaps the folks who brought these rifles to the SE Regional in GA last week will chime in with better info.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Original Creedmoor Rifles
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Wow! Three very nifty Creedmoor rifles! I love the long range rifles, and their 34" barrels! Have two Ballards with 34" half octagon barrels, but only one is the Creedmoor style in .44-100. The other is a special order #4 in .45-70 caliber.
Hope the owners will add info on those guns! 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
The Maynard originally belonged to Edgar Leopold, a noted shooter, experimenter and writer. He worked with Franklin Mann on experiments for Mann's treatise on the bullet's flight. The rifle was shot on the Creedmoor range in at least one Wimbleton match and also shot at Sea Girt. It is an 1882 Maynard in caliber 44/100 Maynard. The barrel and frame have the same serial number.

Frankin Mann bought the rifle after Leopold's death and sold it to Adolf Niedner. Niedner put a recoil pad on the rifle. Michael Petrov in Alaska ended up with the rifle and it was sold by Amoskeag Auction after Petrov's death.
Petrov replaced the recoil pad as it was dry rotted and found a hand written note under the pad that said " this pad installed by Adolf Niedner 1921" That bit of documentation is an important link in this rifle's history. How it got from Niedner to Petrov is a mystery and this is what the owner had to say about it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 10 KB | 57 Downloads )

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 8:40am
Print Post  
My memory isn't what it used to be, but some guns you don't forget.  As I recollect, around 1975 I saw the Creedmoor under discussion and another Niedner-owned-and-modified Maynard on Dick Littlefield's table at an OGCA show.  The second Niedner-Maynard, a Model 16 I think, had its part-octagonal barrel set back from being rechambered if not rerifled, and I'm pretty sure that the Creedmoor still had it's very deteriorated recoil pad.  Dick also claimed that Niedner had installed that pad, but apparently knew nothing else about the rifle's history.

Again assuming I remember correctly, the barrel-modified but otherwise minty and original Maynard was $750 and the Creedmoor was about twice that.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Interesting and to the point letter.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2016 at 8:53am
Print Post  
I have been informed that the note under the butt plate is written in pencil and it says "This rubber butt plate was fitted by A O Neidner Dowagiac Mich July 1921 It was owned by E A Leopold of Norristown Penn"

That it is Neidner's handwriting has been confirmed. This is what positively identifies it as Leopold's rifle.

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 8:03am
Print Post  
I have attached another photo of the Maynard rifle and it's owner at that time. Yes that is Niedner holding the rifle and the other guy is William Crowther. Thought you'd may like seeing it. I believe that the year it was taken was shortly after WWII. Crowther was an interesting man himself, but that's another story

Sendaro

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
It's nice to know that at least part of the history of that Maynard is known/preserved. That photo of A O Neidner holding the rifle is terrific.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint