Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Scope Choice for a Bench Rifle (Read 7628 times)
Dales
Senior Forum Member

Scope Choice for a Bench Rifle
Oct 7th, 2016 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
I am working on a new bench rifle for next year using a Borchardt action and would like a more traditional scope than the Weaver 36x I use now. I am looking at a Unertl BV20 or a Bausch & Lomb Balvar 6-24 . I have a Fecker 20x but am not happy with it on 200yd targets   

Any thoughts on the quality of the Unertl or Bausch  Lomb ?
Or any other scopes with 20x or more power and good clear optics ?

Thanks 
Dale Stadler

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Re: Scope Choice for a Bench Rifle
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Are you building for looks or performance? Best performance for the dollar is Weaver T-36. Leupold 45X45 Competition provides more light and magnification with its 30mm tube which can be very important at 200 yards when there is no direct sunlight on the target. Optics on the Nightforce Competition scopes are a sight to behold. If $$$ is no object ............ you haven't lived until you've experienced the March 80X (variable) with 34mm tube.
More "Traditional" ............ I am very happy with my Lyman STS 20X, bumped to 24X. It lacks the illumination of the bigger tube, but provides a surprisingly clear image at 100 - 200 in most daylight situations. Don't hesitate to borrow from fellow shooters before buying. Most are more than willing to help a new build become successful. (Just one man's opinion.)

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Even tho I have and like Unertls, I would Definitely consider a LYMAN  SuperTargetSpot or even the Targetspot
They were all made with THEN state of the art Bausch and Lomb lenses, and have very good micrometer wind and elevation adjustments
I am very happy with mine. And they run cheaper than Unertls.
Just a matter of finding ones that are in vg to exlt condition.

Of course, recent internal adjusting scopes probably have
better lenses than the B&Ls in the STS and TSs. 
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
I was hoping for a traditional look on this rifle . I want a scope that looks good on this rifle . But want the best optics I can have while staying traditional as possible. Working on a Zischang clone ; with a Zischang style stock and double set triggers .

I have a Miller actioned 32RKS with a 36x scope that shoots great but I need a project this winter so am going for a traditional looking rifle.

Never having used either scope just looking for input on which would be the best choice .

Dales

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Just a comment;  the Unertl BV20 is a great scope BUT  .  .   .  . . .    it was designed for bolt action rifles with a short tube and a short eye relief.  On most scoped single shots we use barrel-mounted scope bases and we use either longer tubed scopes that reach back over the action or modern scopes with a longer eye relief. 
     A BV-20 CAN be adapted by using an adapter with new blocks on its upper side which clamps to the traditional blocks and extends back farther over the action moving the scope back to a usable difference.  This does raise the scope up a bit higher over the center of the bore.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
I'll second the Lyman STS in 20X. It's all the scope I need out to 200 yards and the optics are very good. I prefer the way a Lyman STS looks on a vintage rifle compared to a Unertl. Just my personal opinion, they're both excellent scopes.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Just another suggestion. Redfield 3200 24x. I have one I mounted on a H&R model 12 22rf and tried it out at 100 yds. Suprised me when I actually got decent 2" groups considering that was the first time I shot a 22rf at 100 yds. This is an externally adjusted scope just like your 36x weaver. Frank

IP Logged

Myers
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 11:31am
Print Post  
My scope choice for a traditional benchrest is the Unertl Programmer. Large tube for a bright sight picture. A little big and heavy but for benchrest I will take all the weight I can get for shooting free recoil.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 6:06am
Print Post  
My best target scopes don't have the best optics. Paper target shot daytime on a rifle range does not need the light ability a hunting scope does.

It does need perfect repeatability and parallax adjustment. Precise adjustment more important than good glass.

I have owned most of the externals and truith is not a lot of difference one to the other. Lyman STS or Unertl target is hard to improve on. Glass on either is very good, side by side comparison not as good as a new Leupold or Weaver . Repeatability better than either new scope. 

Thing about a external is you can test the scope mount for slop in adjustment with a indicator . Internal scope you won't see problems except with bullet impact. 

2nd QMaynards comment on BVs. I had a Balvar years ago, wonderful optics, a real complicated mount adjustment mechanism.  Friend on this forum owns it now and is pleased with it. He can fix anything and likes complication. Stick with Lyman or Unertl is my advice

Boats
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2016 at 6:15am by boats »  

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 8:59am
Print Post  
For Benchrest it’s hard to beat a Mitchell. The 2” and 2 ½” both are capable of startling clarity. For a modern scope my first choice would be a weaver in 24 or 36 my second choice would be a Sightron in the same powers.

40 Rod

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
I have Lyman STS, Litscherts and Feckers in 15 - 25X. My favorites are the 20X STS.

For 200 yards, you need 20 - 25X but, my 15X Litscherts had proven extremely usefull, it got me a 1.288 10 shot group. I could make out the 30 cal holes but, if mirage where heavy, it might have been a problem.

The 25X STS reduces the FOV to much for me, I once cross fired @ 100 yards, on the target next to me, because of that.

I'm curious as to why you don't like the Fecker. Can you tell us? 

If the optics are clean, they should be every bit as good as a STS.

Bottom line, I guess, if you want the largest FOV and can both afford and find a 36X Programer, that's what to get.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
There is nothing wrong with the Fecker and I also have a Litschert 20x that seems to have better optics .
I just want more power than 20x; I have been using 36x Weavers on my 32RKS , 25WCF and 22L and just like the higher power . It appears that a Unertl Programmer would be the best option except for the prices I see them going for .

Thanks Dales

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
They made a 30X STS and I believe that you can have a STS boosted to 30X, also.

My issue with the 25X STS was, after BSing the rifle, the muzzle had moved to the next target. It was a CBA match and they have much taller targets and I was shooting on the lower bulls (sigther). The target number was at the top and I couldn't see it in the FOV @ 100. At 200, it isn't a issue.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Sure am happy with my 20X STS.  No complaints at all. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Chris
IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
The problem I have seen with using any more than 20X in a Lyman STS is that on cloudy or heavy overcast days the target can look a little "dark". At least it was through the 30X STS I had for a while.

Like I said my Lyman 20X STS is more than up to the task for shooting at 200 yards. I can see my .25 caliber bullet holes with no problem and seldom use my spotting scope during the match, unless the mirage is running hard. Then it's difficult to find them no matter what scope you're looking through.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint