Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C Sharps vs Shiloh?? (Read 17503 times)
chawk

Re: C Sharps vs Shiloh??
Reply #30 - Nov 12th, 2016 at 7:34am
Print Post  
I'm going to throw my opinion in here but before I do I want everyone to know that I am not insulting anybody's gun.  I'm just voicing my opinion based on my limited experience.

I've owned a C.Sharps 1875 and handled a few 1874's and 1885's from them.  I was always disappointed.  Basically I think they are ugly.  The wood seems to be at least a grade or two below everyone else's wood and they put a very dull finish on it that makes it look even worse.  The flats on their octagon barrels all have rounded edges, maybe even by design.  The inletting on my '75 was mediocre.  I could go on but you get the point.  Notice I didn't say anything about how they worked, shot, etc...  Obviously I am not an expert and this is based on a small sample size but that is my experience and my opinion.

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Nov 13th, 2016 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Well ..The fit and finish on my Shiloh is "PERFECT" the Wood
the case color. WoW !! I ran over 4000 rounds through it. It
looks Now as it did when I got it!!!Test of Time .....she's a good one ! What I saw when I was shopping in the early 90s  The Shiloh was the right choice!!!   

Ol Deuce

Do The Best With What You Got !!!

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Nov 13th, 2016 at 11:37am
Print Post  
That's interesting chawk.   I would say that on all but one of my C. Sharps rifles, the inletting is as good as my Shilohs.  I agree with you on the wood, and the rounded octagon "flats".  i do like the way mine look, but most of mine have extra fancy wood.

I've always had good dealings with the people at C. Sharps, although the customer service at Shiloh is on an entirely different level.  In my experience, the only company that does as well on customer service is CPA.

To me the deciding factor is accuracy.  My Shiloh Sharps rifles will out-shoot my out of the box C. Sharps rifles.   

Chris.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Nov 13th, 2016 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Chuck Virgin shot the 2nd highest individual score at the DCRA BP Longrange match in Ottawa in 93 with a C Sharps 45-70. The Wind Man's, Tom Matpack, wind reading ability was a significant part of that accomplishment.  Tom shot the highest individual score.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Nov 13th, 2016 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Brian Chilson, our many, many, many time national BPCR champion (this year with scope, for instance) and holder of many, if not most, records (13 chickens, anyone?) shoots a C. Sharps. He performs about the same in ,22BPCR (think he won irons this year) and also shoots a C. Sharps there, as well. And, he holds the nat'l record for 800/900/1000yd with his C. Sharps, as well. Brian once told me that he puts about 11,000 rounds down the barrel of his BPCR rifle and the same down the barrel of his .22 rifle each year. He seems to be pretty happy with C. Sharps as he has been shooting them for ~20yr. Can't ask much more of your rifles.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint