Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C Sharps vs Shiloh?? (Read 17498 times)
martin 1940D28
Participating Member

Re: C Sharps vs Shiloh??
Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Doubt you'd go wrong with either one. I have both, and enjoyed them over the years. My Shiloh was built for me in 1983, at the time 'twas one company. Jay

IP Logged

Edward C. Sharps
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 9:39am
Print Post  
I have one of each: a C. Sharps 1875 and an 1874 Shiloh.  The inletting on the Shiloh is superior to the C. Sharps, but both are great rifles. I had the 1875 rebarreled from a 45/70 to a 38/55.  Took about 30 days and the folks there were a pleasure to deal with. Great customer service.

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Just a question: At one time (1990's) one of these companies had the highest number of filings with the state Attorney General for taking payments and deposits and never delivering. It appears that the situation has changed over the decades. My memory isn't that short and I unfortunately hold a grudge. Other than that I agree they both make fine rifles but I am disappointed in the unavailability of the old Schuetzen and Military versions Shiloh had in the past. 

Sorry for the rant,
Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
B, I always felt that holding grudges just increases the load yer already packin'. Plus, if you hold grudges, then the ones you ought to be the most irritated with would be yer own kids- nobody has pissed you off more often. Get over it, you'll be happy you did. Smiley

IP Logged

J.Francis

Reply #19 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Called Flyer,
       Sound advice that Will Rogers or even Abraham Lincoln would have been proud to offer up. Kudos!

IP Logged

29aholic

Reply #20 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 9:30am
Print Post  
One of these days I will get it out enough to justify it. So far I have only shot some factory stuff (for the brass), and some Trail Boss reloads.

Funny story. My TB load is 17gr under a 405gr bullet. I was hoping it fire form the brass enough to be able to seat a bullet by hand but it wasn't. Anyway, I have a friend that has a whole litter of kids from 5 to 16. They all came up to do some shooting at my 4th of July party. Troy is pretty much broke so his guns are mainly cheapies. He brought a Savage 223 rifle to shoot and the kids took turns with it, but weren't impressed. Well I brought the Sharps out with my TB loads to see if the kids wanted to give it a try. All but the littlest one were all over it and each shot a round. I finally convinced the 5 year old to give it a try. I loaded it, cocked it, and set the trigger for him and gave him a little instruction on how to use the sights. You could tell he was a little nervous but he pulled the trigger and got a hit. His eyes got as big as saucers, but he was reluctant to try it again. Well the other kids had another turn and when it came back around to the little guy he decided to give it another go. Well by the time we went through about 50 rounds or so, the little one was right in there with the rest of the kids.
The next day the kids all showed their Dad the fresh bruise on their shoulders which was like a trophy to them. The littlest was proudest of his. Troy told me later I saved him 100's of dollars in fireworks and the kids had the best 4th they've ever had.

CM Brier-If a man says something and there is not a woman around is he still wrong?

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
29aholic, (model As?) Kids are fun, and funny. My eight year-old g'daughter already brags about getting a shiner from a scope on, of all things, an air rifle. Now, she's an enthusiast. Mom, not so much.
Thankya' Mr. Francis- that thought has kept me from sleepless nights for a long time- coupled with the Lord's Prayer. Smiley

IP Logged

29aholic

Reply #22 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Oct 20th, 2016 at 1:36pm:
29aholic, (model As?) Kids are fun, and funny. My eight year-old g'daughter already brags about getting a shiner from a scope on, of all things, an air rifle. Now, she's an enthusiast. Mom, not so much.
Thankya' Mr. Francis- that thought has kept me from sleepless nights for a long time- coupled with the Lord's Prayer. Smiley

Yep as in Model 29 S&W. That's another funny story about this rifle. I was looking for something completely unrelated and it took me to the S&W Forum. I had to join to do anything in the classifieds. I am a nut for Model 29's and one of them was my very first new gun. So, 29aholic.
Anyway, not long after I traded for this rifle I put a WTB for brass on that forum. About 30mins later a guy sent me a PM to send him my address and he would just send me a handful. Turns out they were turned cases. I ended up sending him a set of 41mag dies as he had lost most of his stuff in a flood.

CM Brier-If a man says something and there is not a woman around is he still wrong?

IP Logged

martin 1940D28
Participating Member

Reply #23 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
I have my Shiloh #1 Sporter in 45/70 I bought brand new in 1983 after a several year dream, I have my C. Sharps 45/70 "Boss" with # 2 engraving I bought brand new in about '09 or '10, I have my Shiloh 1863 #3 Sporter in .54 that I bought in 1984. I am fond of them all. Just a point of interest, some 25 years ago We had an original "74 Sharps Business Rifle in .40 1 and 11/16" that was in great, almost exceptional condition that was shy of a few parts. I took the breech block from my '74Shiloh and it functioned perfectly in the original. This was not one of the parts missing. Exactly what was missing I do not remember other than several necessary mechanical parts. We ordered the parts from Shiloh, and with a bit of tweeking here and there,ended up with a perfectly functional '74 Business rifle. The parts then as now, were not inexpensive. C. Sharps parts are just as interchangeable as Shiloh. My own opinion is, stick with C Sharps and Shiloh, not the "shit" forced upon us by importers over the past few decades and you wont go wrong. Remember, this opinion is from my experience. 
Jay Y.

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
29alholic: regarding the 4th of July, you done good!

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Don't have a C Sharpe's or a Shiloh ... instead 2 Pedersoli's with above average fit to finish with Match Grade Barrels!  And with Mother Nature favoring me - have been able to hit 10" circles at 1000yds  Smiley

IP Logged

outsidebear

Reply #26 - Oct 31st, 2016 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
First of all:  I've no dog in this comparison, k'.

I've a Farmingdale 1874 military rile (fitted with both .45 2 1/10 and .50 1 3/4 barrels); a Farmingdale 1874 military carbine .45 2 1/10; and a C. Sharps 1877 J. P. Lower Sporting Rifle .40 2 1/2.  Other than these, Peabody's consume most of my range time...

The below is my 2 cents worth tossed in here, free of charge and worth exactly that!!

Somewhat of a toss-up anymore, or so it seems?
Pros:
1. action cast or billet steel shaped action, both work, I prefer a billet shaped steel action - just personal preference
2. C. Sharps: you can tailor your rifle to your wants, they will work with you in putting together 'your' rifle.
3. C. Sharps - good delivery times, also models on shelf to buy.
4. Shiloh has some finished models available at times. Not sure what their wait time is these days?
Cons: If any?
1. Shiloh, only models offered in their catalog are available.

Other:
1. C. Sharps now uses McGowen barrels (mostly), though others may be available? Call'em.
2.  Shiloh uses their own in house barrels - which do quite well most of the time.

Otherwise, it kinda comes down to a Ford or Dodge situation it seems?  And no, not wanting to get into a whizzin' contest in here either, k'!!

Pedersoli's:  I've seen/handled several and they seem well built overall for the price range (and that is not a put down on them either).  I've talked with several folks over the years and the Pedersoli rifles have been accurate shooting irons. Folks that have them seem to like 'em just fine.  I've a Gemmer 1874 setting in the other room (new/no box/not fired outside of factory) and the fit n' finish is quite good, made in the 1990's. I'd be a happy camper with a Pedersoil fer shooting 'n huntin'.

Budget constraints; nostalgia; reminiscing thoughts from times past; and so forth gonna have their say in a choice also.

Whatever you come up with:  take it out to shoot and/or hunt with it and enjoy your time together . . . seems that's what's gonna count in the long run.

IP Logged

29aholic

Reply #27 - Oct 31st, 2016 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Statesrights wrote on Oct 28th, 2016 at 6:26pm:
29alholic: regarding the 4th of July, you done good!

It was fun. It brought back memories of shooting my first big rifle. My buddy's Dad had rolling block with a Numrich arms buffalo hunter kit on it. The first time I shot it I couldn't even hold up to shoot. I had to rest the barrel on the deck railing and that big ole round just kinda slid me back a little. A few years later and a little bigger I used that rifle as my deer gun that season. Boy was I wore out by the end of the weekend, but it was cool.

FWIW I have heard the guy that owns C. Sharps is wanting to sell out. His kid has no interest in the business at all, and he is wanting to retire.
This was info as of a few years back so it might not be current.

IP Logged

DaleHDeal
Participating Member

Reply #28 - Nov 12th, 2016 at 6:57am
Print Post  
I'm late to this party and can only add what folks with experience with both have already stated.

My wife bought me a rifle in late 2004 early 2005, and it was a CSharps 1885. I just had to have a 1885, but Schoffstol  (spelling?) suggested to her a 1874. I passed on the 1874 and got my 1885. Many times I wished I had gotten the 1874 for no other reason than I didn't have one. My 1885 was ordered as a target rifle with all the goodies. The wood was Xfancy but without the extra finish many expect, so I did it myself and the wood is drop dead gorgeous. This was not a problem because the extra finish was not paid for or part of that deal. Their sights I ordered on the rifle have been in a box since 2005,. Again this was not their problem as I wanted MVA Soule style and bought them myself. The rifle I got was all I could want and has shot so well over the years I will pass it on to my son (who may or may not want to do all the stuff needed to shoot a BPCTR). My 1885 has a Badger barrel and it shoots as well as the "good" reviews say they do. Well over 2500 rounds down the barrel and it looks new using a Hawkeye. Nice as a new Krieger or Bartlien  (and I've got a safe full of those). To finish this long paragraph,  I feel CSharps treated my wife extremely well and I got what I asked for. Whether you like John Schoffstol or not, he personally dealt with my wife.

Now to Shiloh. A shooting friend left a Shiloh no3 40/65 with me for a year as he did not load for the caliber or use black powder. He wanted to know what it would do. Maybe the fit in finish was nicer, but it shot no better than the CSharps, which means it shot fantastic. Oh how I wish I still had it!

I'm now a Hepburn man so I've gone over to the dark side, but if Shiloh can deliver on a liveable schedule, I really love the look of their 1887. I agree that it is really hard to decide as both companies are better than good and I am glad both still make rifles! I wish I was rich!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Nov 12th, 2016 at 7:29am
Print Post  
DaleHDeal wrote on Nov 12th, 2016 at 6:57am:
I'm now a Hepburn man so I've gone over to the dark side........
Always good to read that a fellow shooter has decided only the best is good enough.  Wink Like the roller, the Hepburn certainly is a pleasure to shoot prone with no lever underneath the action. CSharps will make you a very nice Hepburn repro, as will DZ Arms.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint