Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C Sharps vs Shiloh?? (Read 17459 times)
29aholic

C Sharps vs Shiloh??
Oct 6th, 2016 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
OK, so I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

I have a fairly old C. Sharps and think the quality is great. The factory told me it has a Badger barrel on it which I have heard is a good thing.
I know the two companies were one at one time. I guess the question is: Which do you think is better (if any) and why?
Thanks

CM Brier-If a man says something and there is not a woman around is he still wrong?

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Re: C Sharps vs Shiloh??
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
At present day I would not rate one rifle over the other, they're both excellent quality rifles and top rate shooters.

IP Logged

MT Chambers

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
I have 2 C. Sharps and both have Badger barrels and are very accurate and trouble free, my vote goes to them. One note though is that Badger is not making those barrels anymore and it may switch the pendulum the other way.

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
I think for the most part the quailty is about the same. The action castings come from the same place. I think that C.Sharps is using Green Mountain barrels these days but don't take that as gospel. Shiloh makes their own. Shiloh may offer more custom features than C Sharps. 
I honestly don't think you would go wrong with either. 
Sam

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
I believe Shiloh uses steel castings from their own foundry for their 1874 actions while C Sharps uses solid steel billets to machine their 1874 actions. 

Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
When I was thinking about a big side hammer long time ago went to both . Shilo was impossible to deal with. Long waits while speculators had plenty of ill suited rifles for sale. Never once answered a letter. At the time most were Crescent butt plates in calibers way too big to be stocked that way.

C Sharps on the other hand was responsive,  answered my letters right away and would make about anything I wanted.

Has Shilo changed ? Will they build a rifle for shooters with a reasonable lead time instead of for dealer-resellers in Quigley configuration 

Boats

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
I don't have a horse in this race as the only Sharps I would have is the Borchardt but have to observe that there is a huge waiting list for Shilohs and you can get a C Sharps quickly so that may mean something. 1870's technology made of modern materials and on modern equipment seems like you can't go far wrong (maybe resale?) as long as it isn't one of those cheapo Italian ones.

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
I've had a C. Sharps (1875) and have a Shiloh (1874).  Both are fine and the workmanship varies from both manufacturers. Price matters!  What upgrades will you ask for?  I have not shot the Shiloh in some years, but the finish is astounding. I don't know if the wood grows out of the metal, but it sure fits. And it's beautiful. I paid for the wood and some extra fitting and finish. Was not short changed. Had I ordered it the way I wanted it from C. Sharps, I would have expected to be equally satisfied. These beautiful rifles have peaked.  I expect you'd do better to watch the used market and find an exceptional firearm at less than new cost.  Between these two manufacturers, there is no wrong choice.

IP Logged

29aholic

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
I  traded for it about 10 years ago.  It was new in the box. The invoice was in the box, 3600. 00.
The closest thing to it they list is a heavy target  (maybe heavy Hartford?) 

CM Brier-If a man says something and there is not a woman around is he still wrong?

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
C.Sharps has many more rifles available than just the 1874 Sharps.

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Yes, Terry,
Love those High Walls
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2016 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
I have a number of each.  Although I prefer the highwall action, if going with an out of the box rifle I'd choose Shiloh over C. Sharps every time for a competition rifle.

I think the good people at Shiloh take more care when chambering their rifles.   My earlier C. Sharps rifles have been hit or miss with respect to chambers.  A couple of them have been cut with overly long and overly fat chambers.   My best shooting C. Sharps rifles have custom chambers.  I like those ones just fine. 

Chris.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2016 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Don't think you can go wrong with either. Before I discovered Hepburns I was pleased with my C. sharps HiWall. Just noticed today that Buffalo Arms sells rifles on consignment. Has several from both companies available. If you get a Sharps you'll want to insure you talk to a long-term Sharps shooter as there are 3-4 parts that are prone to breaking, like the transfer bar, firing pin and a couple of others. With a HiWall, always best to have a spare firing pin.
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2016 at 1:22pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

rr2241tx

Reply #13 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
If you want a specific chamber and be absolutely sure it is true on the bore, get your own reamer and chamber it yourself.  A finish reamer will make several chambers before you wear it out by not having a rougher too.

IP Logged

derrickman

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2016 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
I have a couple of Shilohs. Had one C. Sharps. Quality was excellent on both brands. I have a couple of friends that can afford anything they want & they have both & show no preference towards either one.
I believe either one will shoot better than most of us can hold.
derrickman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint