Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rate of twist for an H&R Trap Door (Read 2118 times)
4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Rate of twist for an H&R Trap Door
Aug 14th, 2016 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I picked up an H&R LBH Commemorative Trap Door; 22" barrel; 45-70.  I shot some of my Sharps loads through it and it functioned okay, but the recoil was punishing.  Thought I'd try a lighter load (less lead) but wanted to check the rifling twist. I've done this before, but not on a carbine with a 22" barrel. I was running out of barrel length before I could get a good reading. Finally resorted to measuring a half rotation and came up with a 1:22 twist. Has anyone else measured one or possible might know the H&R spec on one of these?  I'm not confident in my measurements.
Mike.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Rate of twist for an H&R Trap Door
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
A 22" twist is listed as the US Government standard for the 45-70 cartridge by many sources. Wouldn't be very surprised if H&R followed the old spec.
In Pat Wolf's books on the 45-70 Springfield, he provides old govt data that shows the 45-70 Carbine load used 55 grains of black powder with the 405gr bullet.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
I use to use the Goverment Carbine load BP mentioned in both my Origional TD Carbine and Cadet TD. H&R Officers model recoil with the 405 was too much. Used a 330 gr Cast Bullet with Unique just sub sonic.  Nice easy shooting load 22 twist worked fine .

Not sure how the H&R Carbine compares to Origional.  It's hard to shoot any Trapdoor from a bench or prone due stock shape.

Boats

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 9:44am
Print Post  
H&R 45-70 Green Mountain Barrels:
1:20 rifling twist
• Bore -  0.450 and 0.456 grooves

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Thanks, JB that's what I was looking for!
Mike.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint