Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What to do with this early low wall? (Read 9463 times)
chawk

What to do with this early low wall?
Jul 5th, 2016 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
I just got my hands on an early low wall and I am not sure what to do with it.  It is a standard early low wall except it has the very early ballard/farrow swiss buttplate and It appears as if the lever has been nickled at some point.  

The metal is in acceptable condition and the bore has been relined to 22lr.  The buttstock is in rough shape.  I think it could be fixed but that might start me down the path to a full restoration.  

Maybe I take a spare set trigger assembly I have and install it and replace the buttstock and buttplate with an original, add a scope and shoot it like that.

Maybe I sell everything except the action and turn it into the offhand rifle that I have been wanting. #2 barrel, scope, set trigger, nice wood, etc...

I just want to know what your guys thoughts are on this rifle and what direction you would go with it.  I've only had it in my hands for a few hours now and given that it is 95+ degrees and 95% humidity I wont be shooting it for at least a few days.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2016 at 3:51pm by chawk »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: What to do with this early low wall?
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Well, I'd shoot it before I made any changes at all. Then, if it shoots well enough the buttstock would be replaced, still with that lovely plate. If the trigger is decent, and many are, I'd call it good after a sight of choice. I like it.
Clean it, lube it, and shoot it first, I think. What serial range is it, if you don't mind saying?

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Serial is in the 19k range, which should put it around 1888.  I wasn't sure if I was going to like it but the more I hold it the more I love this buttplate.   I have lots of options and they all seem like good options to me.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2017 at 4:20pm by chawk »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
chawk wrote on Jul 5th, 2016 at 3:25pm:
I think it could be fixed but that might start me down the path to a full restoration...

That path I've been down so many times my head aches to think about it.  Problem is, any part you "upgrade," such as the buttstock, makes the old parts around it look even worse.  If you could find an old, but relatively unabused, buttstock to replace the battered one, the contrast between it and the metal would not be so great. But if you like that buttplate so much you have a stock built to fit it, then refinishing all the metal seems the only commensurate thing to do--and you probably know it won't be cheap.

There's something to be said for leaving it as is a relic of hard times and a rough life--hard to beat that bolt through the wrist for character.  Some brass tacks applied to the buttstock, and it could pass for an Indian gun you picked up out West.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
I agree with either leaving it alone, or doing it all up the way you want. If the barrel shoots well, I'd leave it on the action, and after fitting new wood, I'd simply refinish barrel and action with proper rust bluing, and case colored receiver.
Might want to pull the buttstock off, and see if the left lower tang has an "SB" stamped in it. Both of my 1885's with Swiss Buttplates had the SB stamp on the lower tangs.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
I like it just the way it is. If it were mine, I'd just leave it alone and have fun shooting it.  Cool

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
The complication to adding the "spare set trigger" you have is that you will need to have the hammer slit and equipped with a fly.  If it is a DST, you will also need to change the fly as well.  Undecided

While the stock as it is offends the eye, it might work ok anyway... I would leave it alone unless I were going to go all out for a rebuild, then I would have a new buttstock cut with the proper inletting for that great old small Swiss butt plate.  If I were starting the project from scratch right now, I would be inclined to go with a "Special Sporter" type stock (pistol grip and cheek piece) and go on to set up the hammer and sear to use whatever SST you have at hand.  A new 22 cal barrel equivalent to #2 weight with a 10X Lyman Jr Targetspot, and I'd be ready to take on the world!  Roll Eyes

Yes, I'm the Walter Mitty of single shots!

Froggie

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
I have a working single set trigger in another barrelled action so while I wouldn't need to buy any parts there would still need to be some gunsmithing by someone who know more than me (which would be just about anyone).

My first thought was to sell everything and use the action as a base for special sporter just like you describe but I've never had anything custom made before and it is just so darn expensive.  I'm terrified I would spend 3-4k on a build with a scope and I wouldn't love it.  3-4k buys a lot of original 1885.

It has sat here next to me since I have gotten it.  I keep inspecting it, looking down the perfect bore and examining the busted wood, waiting for some divine solution to present itself.  I might be waiting for a while...

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
chawk wrote on Jul 6th, 2016 at 7:22pm:
...I'm terrified I would spend 3-4k on a build with a scope and I wouldn't love it.  3-4k buys a lot of original 1885.

It does indeed; but I doubt the needed work would exceed 2 Gs; not that 2 Gs is small change to me!  ((Though I get the impression it is to quite a few on this board.)   

Best not to let that "perfect bore" sway your judgment too much, as a perfect relined bore is a very different thing from a perfect original bore. 

Might be instructive to get an estimate from Doug Turnbull of what a new stock set & complete refinish would run, because his charge would probably be the high water mark.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
CPA does not charge a lot for stock sets with nice wood. Low Wall I built up used CPA wood.

But like you say refurbish if complete cost more than a  nice original rifle.

Boats

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I took the buttstock off and it does NOT have a SB stamped on the lower tang.  In fact there are no marking on the inside of the lower tang.  Also, I noticed that on the buttstock where the top tang enters there are the numbers 2256 stamped into the wood.  These do not correlate to the serial number.  I cannot find anything about numbers stamped in the top of the buttstock in Campbell's book or in any other research I have done.

I don't know what any of this means but I am putting it down for posterity.

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2016 at 8:42am by chawk »  

IP Logged

podufa

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Did you take the butt plate off? It may have that number on it also.
I have an early high wall with a small Swiss plate I will see if it has a number in the same place.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 9:19am
Print Post  
chawk wrote on Jul 7th, 2016 at 8:34am:
I took the buttstock off and it does NOT have a SB stamped on the lower tang.  In fact there are no marking on the inside of the lower tang.  Also, I noticed that on the buttstock where the top tang enters there are the numbers 2256 stamped into the wood.  These do not correlate to the serial number.  I cannot find anything about numbers stamped in the top of the buttstock in Campbell's book or in any other research I have done.

I don't know what any of this means but I am putting it down for posterity.

I don't know what it means either, but Winchester stocks were never ordinarily marked with the gun's serial number, or any other number--mighty convenient if a stock must be replaced.   

Would be interesting to find out if the Cody Museum records note anything unusual about this gun, such as being returned to the factory for repair or modification; however, the odds for that are too small to justify Cody's exorbitant charge for this service, which used to be FREE when the records were in New Haven.

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 9:31am
Print Post  
not a S/N its an assembly number special order and high grade guns got then if the stock came on that gun those numbers should also be stamped in the side of the tang. ken

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #14 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 9:48am
Print Post  
There are no markings under the buttplate but while taking the buttplate off one of the screws broke!  I'm sure those more experienced than me have seen this before but I have never seen a screw break where this one did.  I was using the right screwdriver and the head isn't "buggered" in any way, the steel just broke.  I will not be putting that screw back in because I wouldn't be able to get it back out.

Maybe this buttstock didn't come with this gun?  Maybe that nickle lever is aftermarket, or from another gun?  Given the shape of the buttstock and the relined barrel it doesn't really matter but I do like a good archeological dig.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint