Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Marlin-Ballard #2 Ammo (Read 6566 times)
AlanTP

Marlin-Ballard #2 Ammo
Aug 11th, 2016 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
I have a chance to buy a Marlin-Ballard #2 rifle in 38 caliber rim or center fire. What brass can be made to fit this gun in center fire and what bullet would work (weight wise)?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Marlin-Ballard #2 Ammo
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Frank de Haas says the .38 Long Colt case can be used.  (Probably not easy to find.)  But none of the .38 S&Ws, made for a smaller bore size, .357 vs .375.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
The brass isn't the problem.  .38 Special is easily trimmed to the right length.   The problem is that the .38 rimfire used a heeled bullet, about .355 on the heel, and the full diameter being nominally .375, but if my rifle is any guide, it was more like .380.    A mould for a suitable bullet will be a custom item.   Not as expensive as it might be nowadays, what with so many mould makers using CNC lathes instead of cherries.  Books say the nominal weight was about 150 grains.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2016 at 3:00pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

bisaacson

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Old West bullet moulds has a mould that works just fine in .38 RF or CF. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
My .38 Long Rook Rifle works adequately with .38 Spl. shells loaded flush with Hornady swaged hollow base wad cutters. The loads are the usual light pistol target loads, but they seem to expand the base sufficiently to grip the rifling.  Do not go heavier.

More accuracy can be achieved by cutting the .38 Spl. cases down to .38 Long length, and using the heeled bullet moulds as has been mentioned.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
I have a couple Ballard #2's in .38 Long RF/CF and I use either .38 Long Colt, or .38 Special cases trimmed. I cast with an old Ideal tong tool that has a mold for the heeled bullets a .38 Long uses. I also have used hollow base wadcutters and they work well to bump up and fill the grooves. I even played with some round balls by putting a drop of liquid alox on them, and sitting them at the neck of a charged case overnight to dry. They weren't stellar accuracy past 25 yds., but fun with 3.0 grs. of Bullseye.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
bisaacson wrote on Aug 11th, 2016 at 3:03pm:
Old West bullet moulds has a mould that works just fine in .38 RF or CF. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The forum community comes through again !

<div class=

IP Logged

AlanTP

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks everybody for the help! 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
This cartridge may be marginally OK in a revolver, but I wonder what all these rifles were being used for.  Cartridges of the World describes it as "a good short range small game load, but accuracy was only fair."  Accuracy no better than fair sure seems to me to exclude it as any kind of acceptable small game load, aside from shooting possums in your chicken coop.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 11th, 2016 at 8:57pm:
This cartridge may be marginally OK in a revolver, but I wonder what all these rifles were being used for.  Cartridges of the World describes it as "a good short range small game load, but accuracy was only fair."  Accuracy no better than fair sure seems to me to exclude it as any kind of acceptable small game load, aside from shooting possums in your chicken coop.

The original factory load was about 950 fps, with a 145 grain bullet. More than adequate to take any small game, and deer at close range. I've had plenty of shots across a chronograph that measure in the 1200-1250 fps range with a 150 gr. bullet, and wouldn't hesitate to take deer at 100 yds. with.
As for accuracy, there's a lot of tales that have sprung up from people shooting .38 Long Colt loads in their .38 Long Ballard. The .38 Long in a Ballard is a .375" bullet, while the Colt is a .357" bullet. The Colt bullet rattles down the bore, and gave the .38 Long a bad reputation for accuracy. In a properly loaded, and sized bullet, the accuracy of a Ballard #2 in .38 Long is exceptional! I've got a DST #2 in .38 Long that shoots extremely tight groups.
As for COTW, my copy doesn't mention accuracy of the .38 Long. And for COTW to mention a particular caliber isn't accurate seems almost silly. It really depends on too many variables to make that statement carry any weight.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
The .38 Long Ballard in my collection is all dolled up with ornate Schuetzen wood and a DST, if that means anything.

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Aug 11th, 2016 at 9:50pm:
The .38 Long Ballard in my collection is all dolled up with ornate Schuetzen wood and a DST, if that means anything.   

Means "non gustibus disputandum." Must have been ordered by the same connoisseur who ordered Brett Boyd's #49 Stevens in .32RF.

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 12:09am
Print Post  
38 long outside lubricated (heel bullet) Ideal #4 molds/tools aren't uncommon on e-bay.  The #8 Ideal hollow base 38 Long Inside Lubricated (LIL) tool is uncommon and I use it for my 38XL Remington rolling block with good results.  The heel bullet is a pain in the neck - easy to load, but hard to keep loaded, as the bullet tends to fall out prematurely.  I haven't tried a Lee crimper yet because the hollow base #8 tool/mold works so well.  I guard that tool jealously.   

The army did some studies on the 1892 Colt and its later models and decided that the action was strong enough for the new-fangled 38 Special with smokeless powder and bored out the chambers to accept the special when the pistols were sent back to arsenals and stamped the modified weapons with the later inspector's initial on the left frame in front of the grips but it's easy to tell as the front of the chambers are flush with the rear part of the chambers with no "choke" step.  By about '98, all new ones were Specials.

38 Ballard bores may be a tad bigger than the 38 special bullets and they may bounce bullets back and forth.  I had mine with a truly rotten bore relined to 38 Special.

James

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 10:11am
Print Post  
coljimmy wrote on Aug 12th, 2016 at 12:09am:
The heel bullet is a pain in the neck - easy to load, but hard to keep loaded, as the bullet tends to fall out prematurely. James

In a long discussion on the CAS site of reloading the .32 Long Colt using heel bullets, one person described using low-strength Locktite (red) both to keep the bullet from falling out in tubular magazines, and to improve pressure uniformity.  Reported no problem with adhesive building up in bore.   

Bullets in the earliest .22 Shorts and Longs were not crimped, so the heel must have been a very tight fit in the case if it didn't loosen.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 10:44am
Print Post  
I use Lee liquid alox in both .32 Long and .38 Long to hold them better in the case. The alox adds to the bullet's lubrication, along with holding it in the case mouth.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint