Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Front sight for Peabody (Read 1788 times)
Fazer

Front sight for Peabody
Aug 6th, 2016 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
I have a Peabody Creedmoor 44/100 that is missing it's sights. It has provisions for a tang and butt sigh. I think I have that solved. I'll get the nephew to make up a base and use a tang post from one of the sights I have here.

The front sight is only half there. I will probably be best off drifting out whats there and starting afresh. I have looked for Peabody sight s, but not to be found. 

Here's some pictures of the front sight, or what is there. Any suggestions.   Thanks

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John in PA
Oldtimer

Re: Front sight for Peabody
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2016 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
I can supply good photos of some originals, and can supply some measurements of one or two that I have.  AFAIK no one has ever reproduced the P-M spirit level wind gauge front sights in any quantity.  The original sight supposedly was imported from Britain (?), and is similar to those used on some of the Rigby and other long range Brit muzzleloaders.

John Wells
Hollidaysburg, PA
Peabody and Peabody-Martini's Wanted!

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2016 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that John, it would be much appreciated. I sent a PM with information.

Thanks

IP Logged

ssrifles
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2016 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
fazer
  i have seen for years many peabody martini's without front sights.i tried for several years to get some made,even tried to myself but a couple of years ago i was finally able to get several made by a master machinist.i still have a few left. they were not cheap to get done but they are exact replica's.i don't seem to have any luck posting pictures here.if you will send me your email i will get you some pictures.they were made with an extra aperture also.the man that made them said he would never never ever never make any more they were the hardest thing he has done.i get 1100.00 each shipped.i am not making but a few bucks each,i needed several myself and have sold half of what i had made within a week of getting them.i have never listed them for sale just word of mouth,but i want to see these old guns with original equipment not repop junk.they also have the spirit level and providence tool company logo on the front of the base.
                   tony <><
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2016 at 8:36pm by ssrifles »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint