Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Borchardt in Action (Read 11350 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Borchardt in Action
Reply #15 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 11:03am
Print Post  
rafter3c wrote on Jul 31st, 2016 at 7:11pm:
gunlaker,
With natural ability, commitment and a rifle like the one pictured below one has a darn good start to the top.
Ken

I definitely agree that to be consistently competative you need excellent equipment.  It's definitely the case that some rifles are better than others.  I suspect that the advantage goes to the shooter who is also a master gunsmith Smiley.  And to the shooter with free time to shoot a lot at distance.

There is no doubt in my mind that the BPTR game is expensive and that money helps.  These rifles eat a lot of powder and lead, and travel to far away matches can be expensive.   

But my guess is that if you were to plot long range shooter scores against net wealth you wouldn't find a strong correlation. 

Chris.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Aug 1st, 2016 at 12:39am:
Dave built his business on customer service.  He used to help any shooter that called with a problem or question.  I don't know how he had enough hours in a day to do it all.

He still has excellent customer service.  I've only met him once, but he is a great guy.   

I just wish that the customer account page on his web site wouldn't show me the total I've spent there over the years Smiley.  That information is best forgotten Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Once shot with him at the 2006 world championships in South Africa - very nice guy indeed, except that he wouldn't leave his rifle in the bin for me to pick up - that Borchardt was a real work of art...

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 2nd, 2016 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Back in the good ol days, he, John King and a few other out of state travelers came to most of our  4 LR match series every summer at Tacoma, Chiliwack BC and Douglas Ridge Oregon.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Jul 30th, 2016 at 8:32pm:
I watched Dave shoot about a 6-8" group at 800 yds during the practice day at the World Creedmoor matches in 2008.  I was in the butts right next to his target.  That's why he is the best overall in the country.  The Whittington buffalo is about 1135 yds.

Yes, he is. Dave just won the 2016 Creedmoor Natl match two weekends ago, including a terrific 93 at 1000yd. Believe he is shooting a High Wall of some sort these days, but will have to wait for the equipment list to post to see for sure.

Like Brian Chilson (who won the BPCR scope & .22BPCR scope) and Brad Rice (BPCR irons), there is no 'free lunch'. It is the commitment more than just the rifle or time & money. You have to 'want it' enough to earn it. The winner of the mid-range matches, Mark Schuenke (hope I did no butcher his name too badly) is a younger shooter (~50 - young by my standards  Wink) who works full time. He was also 3rd in the Creedmoor. A dedicated group of 2016 champions.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2016 at 9:11pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Glenn did you shoot the nationals?   

Mark is obviously a very talented shooter.  When I was in Phoenix at the 1000 yard match this spring he placed second overall, shooting a .45-70 with what most would consider to be  silhouette load rather than a long range load.

Chris.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Yes. Did shoot the Raton silhouette matches (.22BPCR & BPCR) and had a great time. The .22BPCR matches have become very competitive and I was strictly 'mid-pack'. Believe there were 120 shooters in both .22BPCR and BPCR (~100 in irons BPCR). Did better in BPCR scope, which is my normal venue. Think when it is all shaken out (final scores are tabulated) I'll be something like 3rd AAA and 17th overall (may be off a couple of places). In irons I was decidedly mid-pack, at best. The winds at Raton were very switchy this year and reading them for us easterners is always a "lesson". The 4-day Eastern BPCR Nationals are at Ridgway, PA next month, so will have a chance to redeem myself. Fingers crossed.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

derrickman

Reply #22 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
The distance to the buffalo is 1123 yards. I've tagged it myself years ago with a 1874 in 45-70. What amazed me was to see a shooter from California hit it several times OFFHAND! Saw it myself but don't recall his name.
derrickman

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
derrickman wrote on Aug 3rd, 2016 at 1:00pm:
The distance to the buffalo is 1123 yards. I've tagged it myself years ago with a 1874 in 45-70. What amazed me was to see a shooter from California hit it several times OFFHAND! Saw it myself but don't recall his name.
derrickman

That doesn't surprise me.  When I started the Tacoma Quigley Match in honor of Tom Seleck and the movie we shot 3 shots offhand at 600 yards. It took a score in the high 20's on the 600 yard high power target to get in the winner's circle.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #24 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
I enjoyed watching the video! Most would be tickled to hit the buffalo at that distance, and hitting the black center is simply amazing to me! Dave is a very good long range shooter! Bet he'd be as good regardless of what he did for a living!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 3rd, 2016 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Shame someone had to down grade it to having money and not the case. I am dead broke but I still shoot fairly well because I am at the range on regular basis practicing and the real key to success as Dave has shown. What was going on behind the scenes and not shown is what makes it truly remarkable that being wind and mirage.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

iomskp

Reply #26 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 8:24am
Print Post  
I met Dave in Brisbane  Australia a few years back I think he top scored with that rifle, seemed like a dam nice fellow.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Aug 3rd, 2016 at 5:43pm:
Shame someone had to down grade it to having money and not the case. I am dead broke but I still shoot fairly well because I am at the range on regular basis practicing and the real key to success as Dave has shown. What was going on behind the scenes and not shown is what makes it truly remarkable that being wind and mirage.

JLouis

Very true.  Tom Matpack was the high individual at Ottawa in 93.  His shooting partner was 2nd highest. It boils down to stock time  Grin

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #28 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
BUMP! Just to bring it up front. This is worth seeing. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint