Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) RUger #1 SS .223 varmint (Read 8221 times)
BudHyett
Senior Forum Member

Re: RUger #1 SS .223 varmint
Reply #15 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 11:58am
Print Post  
I talked to the Ruger salesman at the NRA Annual Meeting in Louisville about production of the #1. In summary, Ruger is producing four models and calibers each year to satisfy the Ruger Collector Association and no more. 

If the caliber and model you want is not there, you will have to wait until next year and see if that model and caliber is offered. The salesman was apologetic, but that is the way it is. I have several in varmnt calibers and love shooting them.

The price is now above $1000.00 because of the limited supply. The last one I bought was five years ago for $740.00 and that was a good buy then.

Country boy from Illinois living in the magical Pacific Northwest
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Aug 8th, 2016 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Also, understand that all No.1 rifles are sold through Lipsey's, as the distributor. They were great to work with to get my barrel replaced. Planning an elk/deer/antelope hunt for 2018, so will be asking them for a 1B model in .280Rem for that summer.  Wink

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
After ~100rds thru the rifle (break-in/sighting-zero rounds and then a 40-shot off-hand match) a couple of additional comments. 

Still find it to be accurate from the bench. However, the very heavy trigger (5.5# on mine) makes it impossible (for me) to shoot it accurately off-hand. So, off to the smith it goes for the needed trigger work. Anything less than 2# will be good and close to 1# will be great.

The hammer-forged barrel (believe modern Rugers use a hammer-forged/mandrel for their barrels) seems to be well finished on the bore. It cleans up easily with very little copper fouling, which is a good indicator of a well finished bore. 

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint