Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New to me - Martini Cadet in 22 K Hornet (Read 10096 times)
48woody
Participating Member

New to me - Martini Cadet in 22 K Hornet
Jun 23rd, 2016 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Hello, I'm new here. A couple weeks ago I was at my LGS and saw this Martini. It just sucked me in and I bought it, not knowing anything about Martini's. The only single shot I have is a Ruger No 1 in 45-70 (I love it). The Martini had been converted from .310 to 357 mag, at some time. Then later someone lined the barrel and converted it to 22 K Hornet. It is the original barrel (same no's as receiver). I like the walnut stock, though it is a little darker than my liking. A PO had done a not so great job of finishing it so I am in the process of stripping the wood to re-finish. A name, Lou Williamson is stamped on the barrel with the date 7-28-75. Don't know if he converted to 357 or the current 22 K Hornet. Maybe someone could give me a idea what the other numbers and symbols mean. I haven't shot it yet. Also could someone give me a name of a good smith who works on Martini's. I might like to have some work done later. I would like the rifle checked over, maybe the rear of the receiver drilled so it could be cleaned from the breach, and depending on the accuracy, a new barrel. I think the scope bases were for a scope similar to the Unertyl. Since the holes for these don't appear to match any of the bases I have on other guns, is there a rail system that can attach to these so I could mount a scope, or possibly rings that will work on these. They are narrow.

Thanks for any info. I am just starting to do searches here. Lots to look at, and learn.

Woody
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2016 at 7:39pm by 48woody »  

IP Logged

48woody
Participating Member

Re: New to me - Martini Cadet in 22 K Hornet
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
A few more pics

IP Logged

MT Chambers

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Beautiful gun, great caliber, that stock just begs for a refinish in hand rubbed tung oil.

IP Logged

48woody
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Hello MT Chambers;
Thats probably what I'll finish it in. I have done a couple stocks that way. I don't really care for the shiny, high gloss look. I do like the look of old, hand rubbed, oil finish, like fine, old wood raised panels.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Lou Williamson was a fairly well known gunsmith in Ft. Worth, Texas in about that period.
Don't remember the name of the shop where he worked, which was also well known.
Chuck
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2016 at 10:51am by Chuckster »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 11:05am
Print Post  
I agree, that stock set will look fantastic, once you refinish it. That was a great find.

I make a adaptor to mount a Weaver base on scope blocks. It's item #3.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

48woody
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Hello Frank; That is the idea I am looking for. i will probably use a modern scope. would like an older fecker, unertl or the sort, but they are more than I can do right now. I'll PM you when I can get one and  give you whatever info you need, or send you the blocks for the correct spacing of holes, plus distance between the sets...

I found a Lou Williamson, gunsmith at Williamson gunsmiths, in Hurst, Tx. He would be about the right age.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2016 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
For the stock, buy 2 containers of OSMO Polyx Hard Wax Oil .125L  ... you'll like it
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Sunflower oil, Soybean oil, Thissle oil, Carnauba wax, candelilla wax

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2016 at 9:00am
Print Post  
to me those scope mounts look like Redfield Posi-loc ring bases.  if yu contact Steve Earle he mfgs and sells a very wide range of scope bases I'm sure he wi;; have bases to fit the drilled and tapped holes in your barrel. 

If I am correct, and they are Redfield Posi-loc bases you might consider finding one of those scopes.  They are a older style but very good varmint target scope that show up frequently on the trading page.  that would fit given the type and age of the conversion.
(I have several that I use on my "non-traditions-class" singleshots.  However they made 2 versions, one in a long tube and a shorter version designed for post actions rifles that has a very short eye-relief that requires a cantilever base to make them work on single shots than can present problems loading rounds with martini style actions.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

48woody
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2016 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the infor about the oil wax and the mounts. here are a few pics of the mounts. this is the rear one. The front is the same but shorter

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 8:52am
Print Post  
That sure looks like the Redfield mount to me,  a nice old 2400 scope would look good and probably what the original owner built it up for.

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 11:25am
Print Post  
They look like Unertl Posa-Mount bases to me.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jul 3rd, 2016 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Laurie,  Am I confusing the two systems?-----entirely possible. Roll Eyes Doesn't one have a coned face in the back of the recess in both the mount and the sight/s ring/base?

IP Logged

Northtidesix
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
You got lucky Woody.  I have rescued 10-15 Cadets from the parts bin in the past couple of years.  None had any wood when I got the receivers, and several had multiple scope base holes drilled in the left side of the receiver receiver.
The lumber on yours is beautiful.  It will look great when you get it reshaped and finished.   
The attached is a Perch Belly .32/40 Winchester.  The finish is a semi gloss deft ploy urethane.  Makes for a very tough weather resistant finish with a soft luster.  It is difficult to use and requires a lots of coats/sand downs to fill.

IP Logged

48woody
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Northtidesix - i have used deft products on other projects. I've had good results if you follow instructions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint