Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 200 Yard Record? (Read 22682 times)
watchthewind
Oldtimer

200 Yard Record?
Jul 29th, 2016 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Hello,
I am just trying to confirm the 200 yard 10 shot record. Based upon my research it is currently held by Dale Reynolds and measures .655 center to center. Is this correct? What year was this set, 2008?
Thank You,
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 200 Yard Record?
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
For the clubs, around the USA, that are allowed to compete for 10 shot group records, I believe that there are two, 10 shot group records, depending what time of year you shoot. Sounds strange, I know.

The Spring record is 1.435 and the fall record is 1,367 but, I guess I hold the unoffical Fall record of 1.288, shot at a ASSRA Match. Unoffical because I'm not a ASSRA member.

There are smaller 10 shot groups but, they can only be shot at EG.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
I don't believe the Record Scores listed on the ASSRA website are current. Something do with a change in servers not allowing 40_Rod to make any changes on the page. Maybe he'll see this and verify if I'm right or not.

Nice group Frank!

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Don't forget C.W. Rowland's 200 yd. 10 shot record of .722" for black powder, and cast bullets! Wink Fired May 16, 1901!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jul 29th, 2016 at 7:33pm:
Don't forget C.W. Rowland's 200 yd. 10 shot record of .722" for black powder, and cast bullets! Wink Fired May 16, 1901!

Yes, CW's was my initial point of reference. I've also found discussion on Bud Welch's group and then the one fired by Dale Reynolds.
I understand the above were not fired in a match and Bud's has been disqualified. I am by no means discounting the great groups shot is a match, but I'm trying to confirm if Dale's group is the "world" record.
Thanks Guys,
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
That is some really great shooting John!
I'm currently writing a piece discussing single shot rifles, breech seating and cast bullets. In this work I'm trying to accurately report accuracy potential. I address CW's group, but would like to report the smallest group that would be fair to compare to CW's.
Thanks for all of the help guys  Smiley
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
There are TWO sets of records.

ASSRA MATCH RECORDS

Can be shot at any ASSRA affiliated club, through out the USA if, it's it's the right time of the year for that match.

ASSRA NATIONAL MATCH RECORDS

Can ONLY be shot at Beeson Range in EG BUT, if shot there, they ALSO apply to the ASSRA MATCH RECORDS. But, ASSRA NATIONAL MATCH RECORDS can not be set at any other range but, Beeson Range.

It's got to be the right time of the year and at the right range, to set some records.

Anyone still confused?

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the help on this guys. Jan emailed emailed his target and info.....man that's smokin!

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
These ASSRA records have always been a bit confusing at first glance.  Etna Green and then the rest of us plus the names when there is no description with them.  

Just looking at the link John posted.  It looks like I shot a few that will never be listed at TRR and Springfield.  The schuetzenmiesters at the time did not submit them and neither of us were really thinking about records anyway. 

Several 250s in 200 yd cf.  I won the 5 shot group match one year in Springfield.  They alternated back and forth between 5 and 10 shots in spring and fall matches.  I got confused.   Roll Eyes  Not sure mine was a record but probably the first 10 shot target to win a 5 shot group match   Cheesy 

One year at TRR I shot one of my best 100 yd 22 offhand targets, 231 with centers.  Steve Garbe was there and beat me by one center  Undecided  

The point being, all the new shooters should familiarize themselves with the matches and records program.  Point out any target you think might be a record to the schuetzenmiester.  I know am usually too busy on match day to be worring about it.   Shocked

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
bear in mind that ASSRA records have to be shot in open competition in an ASSRA sanctioned match on ASSRA targets.    then there is the matter of group-size-based matches, and score-based matches. 
   I think it is possible that one could shoot the smallest physical group in ASSSRA history, but on say, a Schoyen target,  and while it might be a tiny 250---or even a much lower score based on placement---I don't think it would be recognized as an official "group-size record"  you might get an atta-boy and a write-up in the Journal----but not a record.

If I'm incorrect, Jeff, please straighten me out.

Then there is the possibility of the ISSA and WSU records having different criteria.     so determining a Worlds-Smallest Group-----assuming a single shot rifle with cast lead bullets at 200 yards yadda-yadda-yadda may be problematical.

Hey, what about the Worlds Smallest--yadda-yadda-yadda OFFHAND group?    oops is that center or edge    Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jul 30th, 2016 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Aren't all offhand matchrs leaded edge? 

Twice I had groups going too close to the edge of the 25 ring that should have beat Rowland back in the 90s but I was shooting score so I scooted over a fuzz    Cheesy. One was pictured in the Journal.  8 shots in the lower left 1/4 of the 25 ring and 2 shots at 1 o'clock when I chickened out   Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2016 at 7:40am
Print Post  
If memory serves, Dale shot the .655 10 shot group on a score target.  It is a un-official record.  The group was at the bottom of the 25 ring and did not score a 250.  He wanted to go for the un-official record so he went for it and got it.

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Jul 30th, 2016 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Thanks guys lots of good info! Hitting the road to Raton Smiley
Gab at y'all soon.
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2016 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Not to put down any good shooter's record (ASSRA match or not) But was Jan's group with black powder, as CW Rowland's was? As far as I know, nobody has broken Rowland's record for a black powder group?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2016 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Here is a picture of Rowland's group. Note that it says that he used a machine rest.

I believe that he took at least 2 days to shoot it and as I remember he used either smokeless or  a duplex load.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint