Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New to me - Martini Cadet in 22 K Hornet (Read 10104 times)
Northtidesix
Participating Member

Re: New to me - Martini Cadet in 22 K Hornet
Reply #15 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
48woody wrote on Jul 15th, 2016 at 8:09pm:
Northtidesix - i have used deft products on other projects. I've had good results if you follow instructions.

I have been using it for about 50 yrs.  You are correct the trick is in following directions. 
I noticed the receiver was a mite 'Proud' on the bottom right corner.  I would put a contrasting piece of Burl or Ebony there as a recoil buffer.  It dresses the stock up and protects the wood grain ends.

IP Logged

48woody
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2016 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Although I would like a vintage long scope, for budget reasons, and intended use I may get a modern scope. Who might make modern rings that would attach to the bases I have( pics earlier in the thread) . I know I could get a rail, but they aren't cheap either and I could put the money into the scope. It has just over 7" spacing but I would look for a scope that has enough tube to be able to do it.

Thanks.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
To begin with, the type of mount that you would need, to fit any standard scope block, would be one to fit 12mm dovetail. If you can find scope rings for the 3200 Redfield scope, you'll have them. The other option, would be to find a metric (Euro) source. The Posa and the Refield 3200 blocks will enterchange.

For a long tube scope, there aren't many options. A 12X Weaver (K12), will give you 3 3/4" behind the rear mount, the older K8 & K10's, will give 3 7/8 - 4" behing the rear mounts. That's about all you can get from scopes at are in the $150 range. The older Weaver 25X (T25) will give you about 5 1/4" but, are above $350, the 3200's are start at $400 and will give you exactly what you want but, so will the Fecker, Lyman, Unertl's for a little more.

This is my 3200 and a article about them.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Does it have to be on the blocks. I have a older scope on this one on top of a weaver base. No problem with loading.
It was a cheap easy fix at the time, but have never changed it. You can always put the original bases back on

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

48woody
Participating Member

Reply #19 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Hello frnkeore, I've looked at the redfield 3200 when I've seen them listed. Your right about these and some of the weavers, almost the cost of some unertls, fecters, etc. I am keeping my eye out for the occassional deal, may get lucky at a GS. too many people are also looking for something to slip by of fleabay.. Been trying to find someone who has used or tried the new leatherwood USMC 8x sniper, but they are as much as a lower priced unertl or fecker.

Faszer -  I'm also considering going the route you did with a rail.I have acces to someone who could drill new holes in a rail to match the ones for my unertl? block(s). I like the mannlicher (sp?) style stock(forearm)

Thanks for all the help everyone. I am about done refinishing the stock and will post some pics. It is dark but looks pretty good in the right light.

IP Logged

243myra

Reply #20 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Another option scope wise could be a fixed power Bausch and Lomb have just replaced the one on my martini k hornet with a Sightron s2 6x. Have sent the b&l away for cleaning and repairs. Will go back on another cadet I have in the pipeline when it returns.

IP Logged

48woody
Participating Member

Reply #21 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Hello 243 myra. I have looked at a few of the B&L Balvar scopes, also. I keep my eyes open so a scope will pop up sometime, still have to finish the stock. I would like to send it out and have a hole drilled at the back of the receiver so it can be cleaned from the breech end, plus have it looked over.

IP Logged

iomskp

Reply #22 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I had a little cadet action and a spare barrel, in the safe about 15 years ago and I gave it to a local gunsmith to put it together in 22K Hornet when I got it hack it was the worst gunsmithing I have ever seen, besides splitting the extractor and brazing it back together ( broke first time ) the chamber is to tight he slabbed the barrel to fit the action the mill skidded along the action and on and on the list goes I still have it to show people and to remind me never to go back to him, I hope yours is much better than mine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint