Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ballard #3PG is this one? (Read 12364 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Ballard #3PG is this one?
Reply #15 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
I really love Swiss buttplates, and crescent buttplates. But the crescent is more of an aesthetics thing for me. I just like the look of old American rifles with that style buttplate. 
The Swiss buttplate is both aesthetics, and functionality for offhand shooting. I love most single shot rifles, but the more exotic schuetzen rifles have always been my favorite.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
I agree,
I have a sweet tooth and just love the look of a DST, pronged butt,
schuetzen rifle. Strictly built for target, not stalking or hunting.
I can appreciate not being jabbed by prongs, I really like them all, even starting to appreciate military rollers.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jun 6th, 2016 at 9:09pm:
I really love Swiss buttplates, and crescent buttplates. But the crescent is more of an aesthetics thing for me. I just like the look of old American rifles with that style buttplate. 
The Swiss buttplate is both aesthetics, and functionality for offhand shooting. I love most single shot rifles, but the more exotic schuetzen rifles have always been my favorite.

No love for No. 7s?  Or (most) Montanas?  (If not, I have a Pacific to trade.)

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
"I need to make a buying trip to the Old Country."

Dave Crossno has the pattern for the #3PG, he duplicated my #3PG butt stock. He can make you stock no problem. He also has an extensive selection of other Ballard stock patterns.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #19 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 6th, 2016 at 10:00pm:
marlinguy wrote on Jun 6th, 2016 at 9:09pm:

No love for No. 7s?  Or (most) Montanas?  (If not, I have a Pacific to trade.)

Oh I love #7 Ballards, and Montana Ballards too! Can't afford either, but sure love them too! I just tend to enjoy the schuetzen models more. I'm not sure what it would take to get me to let go of my Pacific in .45-70? I really like it. Or a number of other crescent or shotgun buttplate Ballards I own. Loving the schuetzens doesn't stop me from also loving the rest! (a little less!)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
One thing only I dislike about so-called SG plates: that ridiculously inapt terminology, which (probably owing to the contrast with Kentucky rifle design) is unique to this country, I suspect.  What are they called in Britain?  Yes, fowling pieces had broad flat plates, but so did all military muskets, so did the Baker rifle, so did US rifles up until the time of the 1858 rifle-musket, when a slight curve was added to the plate that continued (probably for reasons chiefly of economy) through the trap-door era; but that aberration ended with the Krag.   

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
a rose by any other name....

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

leadhead

Reply #22 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
I have a 3 pg also mine is sn-36516 and I think its just one number off of the one in dutchers book a friend said he would help me post some pictures ,I am trying to figure out how many of these are out there? yours is the only one I have seen other than mine.i hope to get them out within 30 days.

GTalk  
IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Jun 12th, 2016 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I have a buttstock for maybe a 3pg that some one in time filled in the tang of the buttplate and added a Ballard swiss plate. I don't think I will ever use it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint