Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Husqvarna 33a (Read 33549 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Husqvarna 33a
Reply #30 - May 31st, 2016 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
I'll let you know how accurate mine is in July. I'll be taking it to the annual long range shoot, and hope to see how it does out to as far as 1000 yds., if I get a good tang sight on it!
I better check the twist on my larger bore and see what it comes out at?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Langel

Reply #31 - May 31st, 2016 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
That's my grail gun!  Beautiful.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
It looks like a bullet .88 - .94 long, will be your best bet. The 1.0 Lg bullet @ 1.3 SG is very marginal. 1.5 - 2.0 SG is a excellent.

1st one is 1.0 Lg

2nd, is .88 Lg

3rd, is .75 Lg

BTW, what retains the BB & hammer pins?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #33 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
I've never had mine apart to determine what held the BB and hammer pins in. I guessed that it might be a setscrew that was accessible after dropping the trigger plate, but not sure. Might have to take a closer look and report back, as I'm curious too!
Here's a nice write up I found years ago about the variations on the Type 33 Husqvarna rifles:

IP Logged

40-65tom

Reply #34 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Look close at the picture of the right side of the receiver. Screw slots when loosened and removed allow the pins to be pushed out.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #35 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
40-65tom wrote on Jun 1st, 2016 at 2:12pm:
Look close at the picture of the right side of the receiver. Screw slots when loosened and removed allow the pins to be pushed out.

Thanks Tom!

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Frank, thanks for running those numbers. My 178 grain is .752, my 202 grain is .826, and Tom's 250 grain is 1.02 if his mold is the same as mine was. I found another site that I think is implying that we can get a "letter" for our rifles for $12. I'll have to contact them to see if this is the case. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #37 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Hopefully their letters have more info than just an approximate date of manufacture. Would be neat to find out more about the history of these guns. I was told that they were never exported by Husqvarna, so any that are in this country were brought in as personal firearms with their owners.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
I took my rifle to the gunsmith to get the tang sight mounted and when the light came through his window just right he noticed something that I had missed. Very very lightly stamped in fine print was HUSQVARNA on the left barrel flat just in front of the action. I had found a photo of one that showed this stamp and a Husqvarna crest on the top of the barrel and a serial number of 47xxx. If they numbered them in sequence there are a lot more of them out there somewhere (maybe hanging over the fireplace in every back country cabin in Sweden.)

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
anyone know how to find one in 6.5MM   ?????  who imports or deals in them?

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #40 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Jun 1st, 2016 at 9:33pm:
anyone know how to find one in 6.5MM   ?????  who imports or deals in them?

As far as I know none are being imported. If you find one in ANY caliber, better grab it and make your 6.5 out of it.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #41 - Jun 1st, 2016 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Jun 1st, 2016 at 7:28pm:
I took my rifle to the gunsmith to get the tang sight mounted and when the light came through his window just right he noticed something that I had missed. Very very lightly stamped in fine print was HUSQVARNA on the left barrel flat just in front of the action. I had found a photo of one that showed this stamp and a Husqvarna crest on the top of the barrel and a serial number of 47xxx. If they numbered them in sequence there are a lot more of them out there somewhere (maybe hanging over the fireplace in every back country cabin in Sweden.)

Mine has the "HUSQVARNA" on the left barrel flat also. Can't remember seeing a crest, but wouldn't surprise me if I missed that too!

IP Logged

40-65tom

Reply #42 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Mine is also stamped HUSQVARNA on the barrel flat and also the crown on top. If any one would like to try my bullet, I can cast some up.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Jun 2nd, 2016 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Congrats to OneAtATime on finding such a nice Husqvarna 33 in an easily loaded caliber!!

From the excellent condition of this one, I would suspect strongly that it was brought into USA by private person, not by an importer such as Simpsons or Tradewinds in Canada. My very best Husqvarnas & Carl Gustavs -- all in nearly new condition -- came in with private buyers. Ditto for a few of my friends.

As for its generally presumed use as a "Fågelgevär" for shooting large grouse (tjäder) out of treetops (in spring while said males were advertizing loudly and with eyes closed to hens), I have yet to see/hear much from Swedish hunter friends about such hunting in recent many decades, although it seems still common practice in German-speaking states and Russia. All I have seen in my occasional browsing of Swedish hunting mags re shooting tjäder is with shotguns and occurs when hunting järpe or örre (two kinds of grouse). 

Grisen

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jun 3rd, 2016 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Tom, thanks for the offer on the bullets. 40 some odd years ago before I had my 366408 mold cut down for a 9.3x72R that I had at the time I cast some bullets and have been lugging them around for years. I just loaded a few in 9.3x74R to see how that would do. It will probably be a while before I get around to trying them in the Husqvarna depending on how my lighter bullets do. Come to think of it I even have a stash of Norma 193 grain soft jacketed and some RWS or DWM ones somewhere also. Grisen, thanks for the additional information. QuestionableMaynard, I think there is a half stock one in 9.3 available in Albuquerque from a private party that was at the Denver Show if you want to rebarrel. He was up in the front third of tables on the north section on the end of the main E-W aisle. Maybe someone who has a show map can put a name on him.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint