Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ASSRA 501C financial report (Read 7793 times)
Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

ASSRA 501C financial report
Apr 30th, 2016 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Much has been posted about the demise of the association and its financial woes. I would like the association treasurer to post a complete financial report so that some idea of the hole we are in large or small can be determined.
I also wonder if the Beeson range is open to the general public on a fee basis when the association is not conducting matches? Or does it sit fallow?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: ASSRA 501C financial report
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
It would also be nice to know how much land they now own surrounding their range bought or currently being paid for by the membership as well as thier current net worth now that you have opened that can of worms Tom. I helped pay for an extremely small portion of it knowing full well that I would never be able to use it so I am surely not complaing and have no right to do so but I am still curious to know. Being a past long term member I was never sent a financial report during those years but I never bothered to ask for one either so that might be on me?

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Has the financial report ever been published in the Journal?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Louis I just want a look in the can. I seem to recall many years ago a request for this information led to the treasurer resigning?
The association also bought the house across the road that I believe belonged to Mr. Beeson and now rents it out.

IP Logged

Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
BP yes they are public documents.No I have never seen one published in the forty years I have been a member.  Do 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Corporations Have to Make their Financial Statements Available to the Public?

Yes. Nonprofit corporations must submit their financial statements, which include the salaries of directors, officers and key employees to the IRS on Form 990 as mentioned above. Both the IRS and the nonprofit corporation are required to disclose the information they provide on Form 990 to the public. This means that nonprofits must make their records available for public inspection during regular business hours at their principal office.

In addition, a number of websites make these financial statements available including GuideStar and the Foundation Center. Finally, you can request a Form 990 from a specific nonprofit corporation by writing to the IRS, including the name of the organization and the tax year you wish to review:

Commissioner of Internal Revenue
Attn: Freedom of Information Reading Room
1111 Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20224

- See more at: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Is the ISSRA a 501C3? If so donations are tax deductible if you itemize.

IP Logged

Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
Slumlord44, ASSRA has become 501c3.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #7 - May 1st, 2016 at 8:54am
Print Post  
For anyone who is interested the minutes of the 2015 General Membership meeting is in the Journal on page 14. I publish the minutes to that meeting every year when the Secretary sends them to me. In it there is the treasurer’s report. At the meeting the Treasurer presents copies of the spreadsheet so that they can be passed around to the general membership. 
To my knowledge we are not a 501c3 yet the paperwork is still in the system and given the current state of the IRS I have no idea when the paperwork will be processed and approved. WE wait and hope.

40 Rod

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 1st, 2016 at 8:55am
Print Post  
There some confusion or out of date information here:    First the ASSRA no longer owns the surrounding land it once did. We do still own a small portion of land that is adjacent to the range which was part of the original Beeson range/land purchase.
  The house and some associated acreage it purchased was not the Beeson house, but a house directly across the street owned by Dale (?) Kassner, an ASSRA member & good friend ( and maybe brother-in-law??) of Jim Beeson. Beeson's home and its associated land which is not adjacent to the range was sold by his estate some time ago. 
They were purchased in order to safeguard the range from probable residential development and potential nuisance anti-shooting lawsuits.  Subsequently Indiana enacted laws protecting "grandfathered" properties/businesses etc. from that kind of harassment. it was then determined that they were no longer needed, and they were sold. 
  This all took place before I came onto the BOD so I cannot speak to the particulars of the BD discussions involved in the purchase or sale.  It all took place under the leadership of several "administrations" back from the current one.

The ASSRA was established under Illinois law as founded, under some sort of Illinois non-profit educational provision.   The ASSRA is in the process of acquiring Federal 501-c-3 non-profit status.   The membership will be notified as soon as the designation is granted.  I assume it will also be posted here.

The ASSRA is a private membership organization.   I know that the various annual reports and statements are made available to all concerned members who choose to attend the annual business meeting of the membership. 
  I do not know if that information is made available to non-members.  I personally don't see why it should be since it IS a private membership organization.

I am fully cognizant that there are grudges if not animosity resulting from that promotional increase in ASSRA membership to a much wider geographically distributed group.  There is a long unpleasant history involving that attempt and compounding rumors and speculation about it are rife.  Since most of the parties involved are dead and gone and even the remaining official documentation is incomplete. it is even difficult for the current BOD to figure out what was all involved. I feel we need to move on and not dwell on past errors and mistakes and grudges.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2016 at 6:46pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 1st, 2016 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Sorry Tom I missed one of your questions.   The Range is open to ASSRA members at all times it is not in use for a match. If a member is passing through and wants to stop and spent a day or two--or more camping and shooting he/she can contact the closest BOD member who is default "range manager". 
The range is not fenced or gated but for liability reasons it is clearly posted as a private range for members only.   Patrolling law enforcement keeps an eye on it as do some local residents.  A number of local residents have joined the ASSRA in order to use the range during off times, but safety and range requirements are clearly explained to them and abuses would result in revocation of membership/shooting privilege.

It is currently used once a year by a local NFP for an annual 1 or 2-day fund-raising turkey shoot in exchange for one of their members mowing and grooming the range prior to the ASSRA's matches.
  Occasionally other groups have asked to use or rent it but to date none have been able to provide documentation of liability or ability to properly safeguard the facilities.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2016 at 6:49pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 1st, 2016 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on May 1st, 2016 at 8:54am:
For anyone who is interested the minutes of the 2015 General Membership meeting is in the Journal on page 14. I publish the minutes to that meeting every year when the Secretary sends them to me. In it there is the treasurer’s report. At the meeting the Treasurer presents copies of the spreadsheet so that they can be passed around to the general membership. 

40 Rod

Yes, but that does not really indicate how much the short fall in revenue is.  How much more needs to be made to stop depleting reserves?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 1st, 2016 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Short and sweet,  Take in more funds than shelling out.  Finding better costs on printing the SSRJ is a step.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 1st, 2016 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
That would definitely do it, but it still does not indicate the level of increased support required nor does it indicate the pragmatic realities of achieving the goal. Sort of like the National Schuetzenfest threads, is it a reasonable expectation?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #13 - May 1st, 2016 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
From what I understand another 100 members puts us in a place where we are not dribbling out money.

40 Rod

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 1st, 2016 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
How about a direct question and a direct answer? 

How much money does the ASSRA have under it's control?

I think accurate answers and accurate numbers to these type questions would entice new members also.

Especially since there has been mismanagement in the past. It would show that the current managers are striving to make sure that never happens again.

Thank you,

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint