Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Folks Are Too Cheap to Buy an ASSRA Subscription (Read 11648 times)
John Boy
Ex Member

Folks Are Too Cheap to Buy an ASSRA Subscription
Apr 27th, 2016 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
It's  a Shame Too Many Folks Register for the Forum & Are Too Cheap to Buy an ASSRA Subscription!
And their primary purpose is FREE ADVICE or to SELL Their Inventory
* The ASSRA Forum is a Living Encylopedia of dedicate Single Shot Rifle Owners - That Have a Wealth of Detail Data that they share freely when folks register and the 1st posts from their fingers are ... "I Need or What Is or How Do I"
* Then there are the 2nd group - "I Have for Sale" ... who post their wares here because they are unique firearms, not AR 15's ... they too are profiting from the Forum Classifieds yet are not ASSRA Members.
I looked up one new current poster.  He has posted 20 times, all in the Classifieds and a couple of "I Need to Know"  So, Cheap Skate and others like you - write a check for a subscription ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
then post your ASSRA Membership Number as a small token of appreciation for the free information you obtained instead of paying an appraiser for the information ... If You Can Find One!

These folks are too cheap to Thank ASSRA by buying a subscription for the free information they obtain and if they didn't come on the Forum, would still be clueless because there is really no composite external knowledge source respective the single shots they found or was passed down in the family other than the knowledgeable members on the Forum!

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Re: Folks Are Too Cheap to Buy an ASSRA Subscription
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
As I said in my original RIP post, I have been an ASSA annual member since 84. I read and post on the German Gun Collectors forum, but have never joined, think I will do so tonight.
Mike

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
John if this site required a fee to join it I would gladly pay it as their is more shared information here than can generally be found in the Journal that sparks my personal interests and it then it becomes an open living and hopefully productive discussion. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Winters over guys, get outside and get some sun and exercise, or go shoot if you can.  No need to start these complaint threads, they never get anywhere and always end up alienating quite a few people with hard feelings.  They always seem to crop up at the end of winter as cabin fever gets the best of us.

I can think of at least two iterations of this on this board that lost us some very fine posters from the board, and from ASSRA membership.   

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
^^^^^^^

This! Thanks Dave. Always the voice of reason.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It's  a Shame Too Many Folks Register for the Forum & Are Too Cheap to Buy an ASSRA Subscription!
And their primary purpose is FREE ADVICE or to SELL Their Inventory
* The ASSRA Forum is a Living Encylopedia of dedicate Single Shot Rifle Owners - That Have a Wealth of Detail Data that they share freely when folks register and the 1st posts from their fingers are ... "I Need or What Is or How Do I"
* Then there are the 2nd group - "I Have for Sale" ... who post their wares here because they are unique firearms, not AR 15's ... they too are profiting from the Forum Classifieds yet are not ASSRA Members.
I looked up one new current poster.  He has posted 20 times, all in the Classifieds and a couple of "I Need to Know"  So, Cheap Skate and others like you - write a check for a subscription ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
then post your ASSRA Membership Number as a small token of appreciation for the free information you obtained instead of paying an appraiser for the information ... If You Can Find One!

These folks are too cheap to Thank ASSRA by buying a subscription for the free information they obtain and if they didn't come on the Forum, would still be clueless because there is really no composite external knowledge source respective the single shots they found or was passed down in the family other than the knowledgeable members on the Forum!

John Boy,
I remember when I was starting out.
I went to shops, shows and shoots and was fortunate to encounter a few good folks who were willing to give some pointers and guidance to a "clueless" fellow trying to learn.
And you know what? 
They didn't charge me one damn thin dime.
And that was back when a dime was still silver instead of the junk slug it is today.
Those fellows are long gone now, but they knew and demonstrated the best way to help someone get started out, and more importantly, how to pass on a tradition.

If charging for information and advice is now the new grail, a prerequisite for getting into this game, instead of being able to freely pass on a tradition to those less fortunate but wanting to learn, then this game has become rotten to its core, and it truly is time to let it RIP.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
It is just an economic reality. Costs increase. Age diminishes what we can do. However, we can support our interests, and should support them. Those that come after us will never enjoy the firearm freedoms that we enjoyed. Hunter numbers are down. Competitive shooter numbers are down. We need to realize bickering between us, is detrimental. We should work together and support the NRA, ASSRA, our State Associations and our Clubs. Join in and participate and change what we do not like.  Thanks to all who have given their time to run these organizations and matches.  It has permitted me to shoot for 46 years.
Kurt 
NRA Benefactor, MSSA Life member, HP Master ( black rifle) shooter,  HP High Master LR, Smallbore Expert, and lover of single shots.    

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
BP I agree.
Last weekend I was shooting a BPCR match at St. Louis Benchrest Club and a middle aged guy pulled up to shoot, I asked him to shoot with me and use my equipment  and he shot pretty good and had a good time. Our club dropped down to only one Schuetzen match this year because no interest. Young Peale just want to shoot Black rifles.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If charging for information and advice is now the new grail, a prerequisite for getting into this game, instead of being able to freely pass on a tradition to those less fortunate but wanting to learn, then this game has become rotten to its core, and it truly is time to let it RIP.

BP, my point & view is ... If there are forums backed by associations whereby the creators of the forum are willing to provide detailed free information ... say Thanks for helping me by joining the association with your membership to grow it. As associations grow, participation on and off it's forums aids those who are just starting, whether it be a specific shooting sport (collecting and or shooting), casting Pb bullets for those firearms - reloading the rounds specific to the firearms of the sport and shooting the firearms either in competition or for enjoyment

My 'ASSRA' mentor was Swiss Oscar (God rest his soul), Curlew Bay Schützenverein.  Bill spent hours across the kitchen table to me which lead to my involvement in the firearms and our matches at the local club. My 1st Schuetzen match rifle was a H&R 28ga shotgun that ended up to be a tack driving 25-20: Pope palm rest & mid range vernier.  Time progressed, knowledge gained and firearms obtained.  Yes, in the beginning, I too came to the Forum, The One Body of Schuetzen Knowledge and asked questions which were freely responded too by those that have spent years in the Schuetzen sport and collecting ... that maturated my knowledge  

Example ... If it were not for the depth of knowledge from many of the Forum members across the country, I never would have been able to replicate the 1880's obsolete historically correct 9.5x47R bullet for reloads in the fully engraved Gruny Martini Action rifle that now is my prize Schuetzen rifle among the other rifles acquired

My Thanks was multi membership to ASSRA and my hope that others who have benefited from the Forum Knowledge will do the same .. Join ASSRA as a token of Thanks so that the association grows and prospers!
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2016 at 12:35pm by »  

IP Logged

jeffer1942
Senior Forum Member
ASSRA Target Sales

Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I usually do not enter into these discussions as folks are not likely to change their minds.  However, there seems to be a common thread regarding the value of the Forum vs. membership in the ASSRA.  Either you like the ASSRA and the services it provides, which includes the Forum, or you view ASSRA as irrelevant
but take advantage of the Forum to  post, peruse, etc.  For those in the latter camp just know that it costs ASSRA to maintain the Forum, and it is not inexpensive!  What you see as a free service actually comes out of our very tight budget.  I'm sure that many of the non-member posters and "free riders" belong to the NRA and send in their yearly dues without giving it a thought.  If you take advantage of the Forum you should keep in mind that your usage costs the ASSRA.  $40 is not the end of the world if only to keep the Forum running for all to enjoy.  Just my opinion...best wishes to all...
Jeff

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
The ARTCA site experimented with only letting the paid membership get on the site.  That lasted about six months, as I recall, and then they rescinded the requirement.  That was several years ago, and the site, which formerly was at least reasonably active for such a specialty site, is now very seldom visited or posted to.

People are of the idea that the Internet is "free" and nothing is going to disabuse them of that notion.  If a site needs money to continue, the thing to do is to put discreet (and applicable) advertising at top and bottom of the posting threads and charge the companies that advertise.  The Cast Boolits site does this and they have tremendous activity.

I've been a member since the early '80's.  A nice, slick magazine format is all very well, but it may be intimidating to the amateur writers who may have something to say but figure it isn't good enough for such a format.  The older mimeograph newsletters and even the later booklet seemed to have a lot of submissions on a lot of minor or specialty topics.  And of course Shooting and Fishing was one lead article or so with the rest being letters from enthusiasts on the topics they thought needed exposition.  A lot of the threads on this site, properly edited, could be turned into Journal articles as well.

It wouldn't hurt to expand the Forum (and the Journal) to include BPCR and other such single shot enthusiasms.  The concentration is now on Scheutzen, which is very much a specialty, and an expensive one as well.  The offhand sharks I see around here are shooting tricked up AR rifles that cost one-half or one-third of a target grade single shot.  They at least have a chance to see us gong shooters as we use the old style rifles, which may implant a germ of interest.  We need as many venues for the few that ultimately cross over as we can.

And finally (and no doubt I'll get a Fatwa issued on me for this) it might just be sensible for somebody to make up with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named; i.e., Mr. John Campbell, and ask him how he got the Journal into a real magazine format and a going concern, as far as interesting articles went.  It hasn't been the same since he was Editor.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Quote:
One question,   Would it be ethical for a editor have magazines sent to a private vendor to be SOLD to people at gun shows?  Of course all costs going to an assoc with no knowlege what so ever? And none of the  funds  going to the assoc?

A Yes or No will suffice.

Not sure I follow the question? The editor do it on the side without assra involvement? 

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Forty dollars will buy ten scoops of ice cream at Kingston, Wa. That was at least five years ago.

Ten, ten scoops. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
This has been a controversial topic, and has been from the get-go.  even among the BOD.  it seems like ANY changes proposed will anger and alienate a significant portion of the registered site population.    I don't see any painless solutions,  and it seem like the consensus of the BOD feels that rather than aggravate things we will muddle along pretty much as is.

However, MY PERSONAL OPINION  is the we need to rein in the freeloader merchants in the buy and sell sub forum.   bona fide registered participating site members, and dues paying ASSRA members are one thing. (even the ASSRA Journal had paid advertising and paid for "classified" ads---with dues paying member allowed one free ad per year) But folk who only sign up only to peddle the goods for free here that they are also selling on the pay-for gun-peddler sites is something else entirely.

and even there the issue remains of how to handle the administration of sellers fees with our all-volunteer unpaid staff.    its a conundrum.
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2016 at 8:58pm by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
QM,

Have you thought about restricting sales of items on the forum web site to a value of maybe $100 max so members could pass along small things, but then require all sales for major items above that amount to be routed through classified adds (with established seller fees) only in the pages of the Journal?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint