Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Designing the ideal 28 Traditional rifle (Read 12884 times)
JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Re: Designing the ideal 28 Traditional rifle
Reply #30 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 12:33am
Print Post  
My fire-formed cases measure 1.941 to 1.945 depending on how many times they've been fired. 

I haven't shot mine much, just two offhand AS matches. JLouis will have a better answer for the actual length after fire-forming.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 3:00am
Print Post  
How did you make the chamber?  25-35 reamer followed by a .28 throat reamer? Customer reamer?

John, How long is your brass?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Nice guys. Am casting more bullets today for the 28-30W, have to start shooting it more. Nice job on rifle Jerry.Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #33 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 11:02am
Print Post  
The chamber is cut with a custom reamer I have. 

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 11:34am
Print Post  
What velocities are getting accurate results?  Are there any leading issues?  What lead mix is the bullets?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Bob my brass is cut and trimmed to a length of 1.958. I have not shot it over a chrongraph as of yet as I have not found the need. I am not one who is stuck on the need for speed but on the ultimate in accuracy with minimal rifle movement on the bags. 1600fps. plus should be very easy to achieve and I beleave I have been there on several occassions during load development outings but the results I was looking for were not.
16-1 alloy is what I prefer for a spitzer bullet to minimize nose slump and I am currently trying 20-1 for the sake of possible increased accurracy and possibly better bullet land and groove engagement. Leading for me has not been an issue not even little flakes when I pushed it real hard. I have not seen any pressure signs on the primers but the cases start getting a little sticky at around 13grs. of 300MP but still extract with no problem. I have gone up to 13.4grs but accuracy falls way off and my rifle seems to shoot the best in the 12.0 to 12.3 range depending on the Temp. for the day. I personaly have not seen an increase in wind drift compared to the 32-40 or 33-47 with either the 147gr. Mos or the 155gr. Darr Truncated bullets. All in all it is an extremly comfortable and pleasurable cartridge to shoot off the bench and no wads to retain the powder are required that typicaly get blown of the bench and I just use a single case. My lube is 75% Javelina Schuetzen Lube and 25% Dell59C and I refer to it as being JJ250. The 59C creates quite a bit more shrinkage to the JSL and makes it easier to remove the lube cakes from the pan lubing pan. 

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions?

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks, John.  What is the formula for  Dell59C?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Bob it is made up of Synaceti, Lead Sterate, Ivory Soap Beads, Pure Bees Wax, Castrol Oil and Lanolin or you can purchase it from Willis Gregory / Singleshot on this site. The first two ingrediants are extremly hard to come by. Prior to Charlie Dells passing both he and Willis have provided enough of those two ingrediants to last me a lifetime. It is the lube that I used for about 12 of the 16 years of my competitve shooting. It is a great lube especialy when used in a Dell lube pump of which Willis also makes or used to? You can pan lube with it but it is not as user friendly as the JSL when doing so and the JSL is being sold by my close friend and I also like to support his endeavor. One would also be hard pressed in my book to find a better lube than the JSL and it is being used by the majority of our group. 

JLouis

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
John, My 33-47 is a little bit lube critical. I pan lube.  It would take a custom die to pump lube my tapered bullet.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Bob if you send a couple of bullets to Willis if he still offers the service the die will not bleed lube and a real pleasure to use. Prior to my wrist injury I would just Lube enough bullets the night before while watching TV  that I thought would get me through a Match. If I came up a few short I would simply Lube a few more during a break. I used to be very fond of freshly lubed bullets but I really don't think it was all that critical in the long run. If one was using a good lube to start out with? 

JLouis

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 12:09am
Print Post  
I can get premium accuracy, just need to make the bullets a year in advance. Javelina works well if the string isn't too long. 

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Bob you can pan lube with the 59C that is what it was made for. It just takes longer for the lube to melt / higher melting tempeture and the bullets are harder to push out of the cake if you wait to long / a harder lube. I have used it when the puddles are frozen over and when its 105 so it might be worth giving a try in your 33-47.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Pete it is nice to see we re-sparked your intrest in the 28 below are some 200yd. practice targets all of which I would consider to very competitive using 300MP my powder of choice that you might possibly want to try. To date I have only shot two each 250's in pratice to no fault of the rifle that are not included below as they are hanging on another wall in the shop. I also hope this encourages others to not over look the 28's competitive capabilities when thinking of building a new rifle they are also a real Hoot to shoot.

L-R starting at the top: 249,249,249,248,249,249,249.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2016 at 12:32pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Nice targets and  consistency John, but you seem to be stuck in a rut  Grin

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
That Rut my friend is hard for me to over come. I have yet to shoot a 250 in competition over the past 16+ years, close on numerous occasions but no Cigar. I have accumulated 16 in practice maybe I should have saved those for a match? My mode of practice is different than most I like to shoot when the conditions are rough same as is quite typical in a match. If doing load development its when the sun comes up just enough to see the targets and dead. That is the time when most like to do thier practice and then suffer in a match when the conditions typicaly go real sour shortly after it starts.

The targets posted are those that typicaly have different data on them for referance and its mostly just a small change in the seating depth or the bullet with the rest basicaly remaining the same. For a typical practice outing like last Thursdays with heavy mirage and never ending wind changes the scores were only 246,247,246,246 I think I have that order right? buy they are the perfect conditions to practice in for me.

JLouis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint