Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Designing the ideal 28 Traditional rifle (Read 12905 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Designing the ideal 28 Traditional rifle
Reply #15 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 1:20am
Print Post  
don1885 wrote on Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:31pm:
One more question Frank. I have a very nice traditional Ballard with a barrel that has no marks of any kind - obviously somewhat later than the original barrel. It slugs to a 0.294" bore diameter, would it meet the T-28 rules assuming the case and rifle configuration will?

That's a real tough one, Don. It's something I hadn't even considered but, should have thought about, considering that it's a caliber limited class of "Elite" shooting Smiley

In the day that 28 calibers where used in Schuetzen, bore and grooves were not tightly controlled. As a nominal standard, I would say that a .280 bore and a .288 groove would be about maximum. Most people building rifles, will use 7mm barrel, of .276 bore and .284 groove. So, using logic, we could give a +/- .004 tolerance (.284/.288) and and say maximum could be .292 and your only .002 from that is if, your .294 is your groove diameter.

Before I give a diffident answer, I'd like to hear form owners of original 28/30 rifles, what their groove diameters are and I'd also like to hear from the people that have shot their T-28's since this class started.

I just thought to look at the Lyman/Ideal, as cast mold sizes and this is a picture of the listings for 7mm/28 caliber. first colum is mold #, second as cast, thrid number is as cast for a mold marked "U", last number is the nose punch. .290 is the largest as cast mold.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #16 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 8:03am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:22pm:
What twist rate are you going with CW and a great cartridge choice!

JLouis

Don't remember - the #3 was in 7-08 and the Cadet barrel is a 7mm RM barrel - been a while, likely to be faster twist than slower.  I'll note it when I get them back from the shop.   

Looking at the NOE 'Thor' bullet.  about 127 gr.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 8:27am
Print Post  
CW for competition I would go for a heaver bullet if your twist can support it. In my 12 twist I am using a 147gr. Mos., 155gr. Darr Truncated and a 145gr. of my own design and making. I have also shot the 134gr. Hoch as sold by CPA for the 14 twist but I do prefer the extra weight and these are all being shot breech seated.

I hope this might be helpful it is a fun caliber to compete with and I wish you the best.
JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Don you can always shoot and trade information with the non qualifiers, I beleave we out number those that do and we will also be able to provide some additional information that can also be shared with those on this site who might be interested in the 28's.

Frank the cartridge you have listed for Jerry Hartwig and Rich Davis in the T group is now incorrect they are both using the 28-35SS same as myself all cut with the same reamer. Rich's is not the 28-38-50 as you have noted and Jerry's 28-30 has since been re-chambered and is now on a FBW's Model J action.

Please feel free to verify this new information with Jerry and let us know if it changes thier Traditional status to Non Traditional?

JLouis
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2016 at 9:39am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 11:11am
Print Post  
John. a pic of the 28-35SS Brass ?  I found some of my original formings 25-35 original, half fireformed and full blown. Will get a pic later. Pete
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2016 at 3:45pm by Skalkaho »  

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Pete out at the range today and I will get them to you as soon as I get back home.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Here are your pictures Pete.

Non Traditional 28-35SS Case
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

28-35SS Non Traditional / Traditional Rifle 
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Your Clerke has the lever I want!  Mine in 32-40, had A 3 3/8 "Breisen Barrel now turned down to 1.250. John Taylor doing much needed trigger job.Barrel being blued... Looks like the 28-30SS will do the job. Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #23 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Just to show the difference between the two here's a factory 25-35 Winchester on the left, with a 28-35SS on the right. 

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Pete the action is a Model J FBWorks and the lever is the Fix Brothers International lever. The condidtions for today's pratice outing were pretty rough in regards to wind and more importantly mirage but I did manage to shoot two back to back 246's and a two 247, not good at all but fair as the rifle is capable of a allot more but I surely wasn't.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2016 at 9:10pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks Jerry_H my picture was not as clear of what it actually is compared to yours.

Thanks Again!
JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Jerry if the time is right as know you are still working on your Model J 28-35SS non traditional / traditional rifle I am sure this group would enjoy seeing some pictures of it.

JLouis

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #27 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
It's a work in progress. I set my 28-30 Stevens chambered barrel back 1.50" to get rid of the shank as it was too small for the FBW Model J action. The 28-35SS reamer cleaned up what was left of the chamber.

The buttstock still has some final shaping that needs to be done but it's getting closer. The buttstock and forearm are from the same piece of walnut even though they don't look like it. The forearm has more handling and time to oxidize than the buttstock so they should turn out the same eventually. I'll be using Alkanet Root to dye the wood with an oil finish over that. 

I added a horn grip cap because I thought it would look right after checking out vintage Schuetzen rifle pictures. The buttplate is a Barry Darr white bronze casting from an original Zischang buttplate.

I like vintage/traditional looking Schuetzen rifles so I tried my best to capture that look with this rifle. I'm an amateur, at best, when it comes to building rifles, but I sure do have fun trying.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks Jerry for sharing yet another Non Traditional / Traditional 28-35SS, we need more like them to help keep the 28's alive and well!
CW can't wait to see your two 28 rifles when they are finished I am sure they will be classic examples of what will fit your individual tastes traditional or not.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2016 at 10:14am by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Rifle looks good from here Jerry. 

Hoe long is 28-35 case after blowing it out?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint