Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Designing the ideal 28 Traditional rifle (Read 12861 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Designing the ideal 28 Traditional rifle
Apr 26th, 2016 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
What is the consensus on the optimum twist, bullet length and weight, chamber and throat, powder and load for a 32-20 / 25-20 case reformed to 28-20?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Designing the ideal 28 Traditional rifle
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Bob,
The barrel that I have to use, is a 11 twist Krieger barrel blank, 27" long.

I had a reamer made for the 25/20ss case but, you can use the neck and throat area of it for a 25/20 Win. to get a remear made. Or if you like, you can run a 25/20 Win reamer in your barrel, using a 7mm pilot and I'll do the neck and throat for you.

We can talk about it at Spokane.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Bob I don't know but I thought I should mention this as you are talking about a small case. When I built my 28 I used the the 357 Max case straight tapered to 28. The problem I had was I could not push the bullet fast enough to achieve the best accuracy as the pressure would exceed that need and the cases would not extract. The last time I shot it in a match I went through eleven cases some had to be extracted with the help of cleaning rod as they would swell at the web. Every case change would provide a different bullet location on the target so any hopes of placing went right out the gate. I played with it for about a year trying to get it work and it was the most frustrating and unsuccefull endeaver I have ever taken with absoulutly no signs of a means for success. Thus I re-chambered it to 28-35 and have I not encountered any signs of pressure and I have taken it well beyond 13grs. of 300MP with either a 147 or 155 gr. bullet but they both seem to like it a tad over 12gs. allot better than being pushed hard. In the Max case I could just barely get beyond 10grs. and not quite enough even for the 147gr. bullet. To try to go to a lighter / shorter bullet would have defeated the entire purpose of the rifle and that being to win matches and to be extremely competitve with the 32's and 33's of which it is now. Barrel is a 12 Twist DouglasXX and I beleave I can shoot a bullet a tad heaver than the 155gr. but it gets to a point when recoil and torque out weigh the extra weight as the gun is quite a bit calmer in the bags.

I know this was not what you were looking for but I thought it might save you time, money and frustration down the road or at least give you something to think about while you are still trying decide what it is you that you might want not knowing the intended purpose of the rifle. I also strongly beleave a case taking large rifle primers would also be a better choice based on my experiance with Max case. I actually bored out the primer pockets out to LRP on a few cases and all though using that case was a total flop I felt they did show an improvement.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Should we have a "Gentlemens" 28 Caliber BR Match one evening  at Spokane? 200 yds  20 shots? You can see what we have Bob, your welcome the shoot my gun also.Something to ponder. Dave said we could shoot the  200 yd X-Stix 30 shot Match to see how we shot against there match on the 16th also. .......Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Thanks Frank.

Thanks John, certainly good to consider.  Not looking to reinvent the wheel. How are they getting the 32-20 to work?  It should hold nearly the same powder charge as the 28-20?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Pete now you are talking about having way to much fun and I only wish I could join you with my 28. Unfortunatly its beyond my driving limits these days and about a 17hr. trip from here give or take. Tommy's match was one that was at the top of my priority list to attend and I should have done it long ago not knowing poor health was headed my way. I love to shoot and one won't find a shortage of being able to do so at Tommys thats for sure.

Looking forward to the results!

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Bob if you are talking about the 32-20 CPA Jack Hughes would be your best source on its short comings all though it does shoot extremely well. If memory serves me right he would by 500 new cases each year due to case loss and case preperation. At one time and not to far back it was extremely popular with our group of competitors and now you don't even see a single one on the line. All but one that doesn't get used any longer, a record setting keep sake have all been re-chambered to 32-40 and the competitor with the keep sake also shoots a 32-40 as well that being Jack Hughes. What is also interesting is the 32 Miller Short used to rule the line here as well at one time and now you are lucky to see one of them show up.

JLouis

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
the pressure would exceed that need and the cases would not extract.

John, your problem wasn't pressure, it was that the case head area was not cut to the proper size (diameter). A lot of the Miller Short have the same trouble, because of the same thing.

I run my 33 ELCO Max, 240 gr bullet, pretty hot and have even pierced a primer or two at even higher velocitys w/o case sticking.

I've shot the whole 8 day Spokane match with one case and then some other matches w/o any sticking. After a few hundred rounds, they will get a little tight but, still extract ok.

I agree that the 25/20 Win case is a weak one but, in a strong action, like a HW the cases will last a long time. Elaine has only had one case seperation in over two years, running a 183 gr bullet in her HW at 1450 fps, using 10.2 gr #9.

I also make 32/20 out of 357 Mag cases but, I haven't need to use them in hers. I gave some to a guy back East and he has had a lot better case life in a LW but, LW's stretch and I wouldn't recommend a LW for a high pressure 28 cal.

I offered some of my 357/32/20 cases to Jan to try but, he said that he'll never shoot it again.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Pete,that would be interesting if they get enough 28s. I don't shoot iron sights any more so I doubt if I shoot the BP match  Cry  Good thing I shot tons of it when I could still see  Grin

John, I'll have to check on the 32-20 a little more I guess.  Their is a fellow here shooting one in CBA.  He seems to be happy.  32 Millers and RKS seem to be the ones to beat here.  Chuck Bordman's Hoch was so good you didn't even have to know how to shoot to win with it  Cheesy

What case is your 33  ELCO, Frank?

I'm thinking of having it done on a CPA action.  Is it good for the high pressure short cases?  28-35 is always an option  Shocked

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Frank you would need to take that up with Barry Darr, it was a joint project, my rifle, his reamer, his dies, his throating, his knowledge of which you are more than welcome to challenge against your own. We went out to the range twice a week without exception not counting matches and ran it through his ballistics system several times and I do beleave he new exactly what he was doing all though I know you think I might not have. It had nothing to do with what you stated my friend, no rock was left unturned or possibilities over looked as you have once again assumed. It simply just did not pan out as we had both hoped for while having extremely high exspectations of success.

It is good to hear your 33ELCO is working out for you and I wish you the best with it as you move forward.

I have helped remove three case seperations while a friend and top competitor was trying to shoot one practice target right next to me with his CPA chambered in 32-20CPA and two more before he got through his second one. I do believe the CPA to be a strong action yet it did not seem to help with the case lose issues. That rifle is now a 32-40 and has been for quite some time now and understanably so. Who knows maybe those small capacity cases just don't agree with Modesto for some unknown reasons? Either way one looks at it the facts are still the facts and they will remain the same as no one can go back in time to change any of it nor will unfounded assumptions on anyones part.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
The case design is extremly interesting on Pete's rifle but it wouldn't be right in my book for me to copy it. I have thought about putting a new 28 barrel on my CPA and have considered a shortend 32-40 straight tapered to 28 or something along those lines that takes a LR primer. It would just be for the sake of curiosity to see which case is better the bottleneck or the straight tapered and the possibility of it being just a tad better than what I currently have.

JLouis

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #11 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
I'll offer my UN-informed opinion with my reasons.

I'm doing a 7mm in both a Martini Cadet and a Ruger #3.  (Would have started with a "traditional" caliber if I'd known of one being available at the time.)  One for off-hand, the other for bench.

So I chose the 30-30 as the basic brass to start with (free in abundance once-fired on the ground at the range).  Had Pacific make a reamer for the 7mm International Rimmed.   Both at the 'smith now; will report how they work late this summer.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
I think Joe Weist  did a great job on the 28-30 Weist( gotta give him credit) I think it is very Traditional in looks and using the 25-35 parent case. I am glad I can shoot his gun , and hope at least that it is exceptable as A 28 Caliber . Thankyou Joe.... everytime I bring this gun out I think of you. Pete

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
What twist rate are you going with CW and a great cartridge choice!

JLouis

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
One more question Frank. I have a very nice traditional Ballard with a barrel that has no marks of any kind - obviously somewhat later than the original barrel. It slugs to a 0.294" bore diameter, would it meet the T-28 rules assuming the case and rifle configuration will?

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint