Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Nickel Brass (Read 2945 times)
primers

Nickel Brass
Apr 2nd, 2016 at 11:54am
Print Post  
I have a question regarding nickel plated brass. I am new to this sport so please forgive my ignorance... I was hoping to aquire fifty or sixty pieces of 32-40 brass with same head stamp.. I know I can use other head stamped brass and re form,lets just call me stubborn for a better word... At this time I have three boxes of the John Wayne loaded shells, a partial box of Remington loaded shells, and a coupla boxes of,and I cannot think of the manufacture at this time, but it's that stuff they load for the cowboy trade..older... Those are winchester head stamped.. Would it make more sense to try and find a market to sell those?? Then use that money for a down payment on what I would rather have, from the prices I have been seeing for 32-40 head stamped stuff, I am thinking if I brought any of that home my wife would pretty much be over me being able to play with firearms any more.... and I do kinda like her. Hate to see her go over a little brass Smiley

So basically my question, any draw backs to nickel brass? If I do buy some brass-brass on line, does anybody have a room for rent...

As always Thanks for your input...

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Nickel Brass
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
If there's a chance that you would regret it, maybe don't sell what you have. If it's an emergency, the wife would understand. If it's not, be patient, but ready to react when the right deal comes along, after the current interest fizzles out.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
I have had good luck with Nickel Brass but I have only used it for Breech Seating.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Nickle supposedly causes fliers due to the lack of consistent traction to the chamber walls that naked brass has, I don't know for sure if true or not but I've never seen nickel plated match brass.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
When I was shooting a lot of HP Silhouette with a 308 used two loads, one for CPT and a heavy bullet load for Rams. Always loaded the Ram load in Nickle plated to avoid errors during a match.  Switched guns to 7mm08 sized all the 308 brass including Nickle to 7mm and kept the same routine. 

Never saw any advantage or disadvantage to the Nickle. It did wear on the neck, I only neck sized. Sold that rifle and brass to Cat Whisperer and believe he's still using the nickel brass . 

I would not go out of my way to buy Nickle but would not avoid it either.

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Years ago at a gun show I ran across 3 50-piece bags of once fired John Wayne brass for a pretty cheap price. I bought it up cause it was pretty. When I started to shoot I noticed a few things. The first thing was it did not obdurate well, I would have to expand the necks and shoot it 2 or 3 times before it would fully fill the chamber. Second thing was after a short while I started to get hairline cracks at the base of the web on about 1/3 of the cases. All in all they were kind of a P.I.A. I went back to regular 32-40 brass. I kept about 20 good cases for making loading tools (it is pretty) and sold the rest to somebody who was hot for those John Wayne’s. I would sell the boxed ones to collectors as they are starting to get harder to find. What ever you do don’t shoot them the jackets won’t do your bore any good and they are loaded way too hot for anything less than a high wall or Hepburn.

40 Rod

IP Logged

primers

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2016 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Thanks all for your suggestions... I'm thinking ,wait for a coupla gun shows this summer...then if I can't find any brass just pull the bullets on the Ten X loads I have... Ill just use the Nickel stuff and watch for any oddities... I am breach seating so I realize that seal, brass to chamber, is critical ...Thanks all...Randy A.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint