Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) most poppular alloy mix (Read 10461 times)
Mick B
Oldtimer

Re: most poppular alloy mix
Reply #15 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the reply's , the reason for my initial post was because Russ Weber advised me in an email not to use a harder alloy than 25-1 in his breech seater which I had posted back to him as it was defective. I guess he thought I may have tried to load a really hard bullet, actually it was 20-1 mix.
Mike.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #16 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
My Weber seater seats some 20-1 bullets nicely.  Ron Long bullets seat easy. Paul Jones, no. Long bullet with almost no taper, very tough. can see the seater distorting when seating. 

Joe 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 11:29am:
I have used 20:1 with my Weber seater for over fifteen years.

Tried 25:1 for two years and my scores went down.

When I went back to 20:1 my scores went back up.

Use 20:1 for both Schuetzen (Paul Jones bullet) and BPCR shooting. I have no problem breech seating them.

Just finished making up a 820 pound batch of 20:1 yesterday.

Verl Sigman 30:1.
Russ Weber  30:1.
Chuck Blender 25:1.
Earl Hines 25:1.
Duanne Jenner  25:1.
Jim Luke 25:1.
Dean Miller 25:1.
Gerald Miller 25:1.
Gary Nelson 25:1.
Jack Odor 25:1.
Dave Purcell  25:1.
Tommy Mason 22:1.
Tom Bodnar 22:1.
Clark Ehlers 20:1.
Steve Garbe 20:1.
Lowell Hamilton 20:1.
Rick McHale 20:1.
Dave Patterson 20:1.
Colleen Pipke. 20:1.
Ron Smith 20:1.
Bob Tyler 20:1.

Use 30:1 in my Stevens Pope for offhand because 20:1 is quite a bit harder to BS.  the 20 shoots a little better so I use it on the bench.  Somewhere, I read that Pope suggested 15:1. I never tried it because I'm afraid the bullet base will deform BS it.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 7:27am
Print Post  
I might give 25-1 a try, if it works as good or better then it's a win, win result as it's cheaper to make with tin at A$35 a kilo here.
Mike.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #19 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Dave
Lead / Tin Alloys will soften over time

Alloys that contain antimony will harden 

40 Rod

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Quote:
If tin is added to plumbers lead to produce an alloy with a BHN of 14 to 15, heat-treating will produce a maximum hardness approximating BHN 22 that will recede to 18 or so within four or five weeks.

Dave,
Plumbers lead here in the US, is as close to pure lead as you'll find, for non-certified lead.

It's what I look for at metal yards. I've never bought new, certified lead but, buy plumbers lead, lead sheet and lead pipe for my casting.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Some years back I bought 1200 lbs of Gov certified lead, left over stuff to be used for radiation containment room.  Purest stuff you can get.  Nice stuff.
And only use pure tin and alloy a 25-1 alloy.

Just to see if there was a difference i ran some 30-1 and it shot in the same group.
I highly doubt the rifles know what is going through it, unless you tell them  shhhhh.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
The advantage of  a richer tin alloy is it helps to reduce the nose slump that is quite typical for the lead and tin bullets we shoot. The rifle might not know the differance but the Target surely well and to what degree is dependant on the bullet you are using. If a FN it is not as critical as for a long unsupported nose Spitzer that would more easily slump off center and can use the additional strength.

I am actually quite surprised that more competitiors are not using 1-18 and 1-16 or at least taking the time to give a try? I do know there are some who are not willing to pay for the extra cost of the Tin and would rather leave possibly something better on the target laying on the table.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
In my 38/56 I'm using a 20-1 mix, as the bullet is a Paul Jones tapered spitzer I thought there was a possibility that the nose was slumping and causing a loss of accuracy. Suspecting this I cast up a batch of bullets using Lyman #2 alloy which is supposed to have a hardness of 15 bn.
On the target there was no discernible difference in accuracy so my slumping theory was shot.  I intend to try 25-1 in a future batch of bullets using a more blunt nosed bullet from a Lyman mould that I have to see how that performs.
Mike.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
This is from my 40-65 BPCR rifle so may not apply that much to schuetzen distances. I ran a carefully controlled 300 yard test that ended with 15 shots each using certified 30 to1, 25 to 1 and 20 to 1. The 25 to 1 was much more accurate than the 30 to 1 and the 20 to 1 was somewhat more accurate than the 25 to 1. After going to a long nosed Paul Jones microgroove I started noticing some variable results at 500 meters. Taking Dan Theodore's suggestion I switched to 16 to 1 to control nose slump and all was well. Also the 16 to 1 has a higher shear resistance and in a fast twist barrel can show less slippage.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Oneatatime thank you for your valued input it is nice to see that to someone has an understanding of nose slump. Most believe the bullet they seat comes out the barrel exactly the same as when it went in and nothing could be further from the truth. It goes through physical changes just by bumping up to fill the grooves while also shortening in length during the process as one example.

Mike B I tested alloys containing antimony in varying degrees for a year and non of them would provide the same consistent good results on the target as the 16-1. There is just something about adding antimony to a breach seated bullet that just does not quite work out for the better and I have no clue why? All I do know is I gave it my best shot and the time and effort to make work as I had high hopes of finding that magical combination.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Oneatatime I just re-read your post and I missed the slippage portion the first time around and what an interesting comment. I myself have not given much thought of a tin and alloy bullet stripping the grooves but I fully understand the entire concept of it happening. Most of our lead and tin bullets are spinning around 70,000 RPM's and our bullets have to survive tremendous various stresses as well as physical changes prior leaving the bore with most being unknown to a new cast bullet shooter. I am still amazed at how well these bullets can be made to shoot as well as they actually do given the time and energy to get them there.

JLouis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint