Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic new low walls; play for a one-armed smith :) (Read 1903 times)
bluejeans

new low walls; play for a one-armed smith :)
Mar 14th, 2016 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
after years of dreaming and drooling, the gunshow gods smiled upon me last saturday and i now own not one, but two low wall winchesters.

the story: (skip this paragraph if you don't care.)
two low walls on a table $750 for the pair with a sticky on the stock the one had issues; inquire for details. i was super excited but the vendor wasn't at his table.. i waited for a while but still seeing noone i went to check out some more tables. i checked back several times every 5 minutes or so and when i finally saw he was back (4th or 5th time) there was already an older gentleman ther fondling MY rifles and scratching his chin. grr. we glared amicably at eachother for a minute until we realized that we were each interested in different ones; he wanted only the good rifle and i was more interested in the one that needed work ( extractor needs work, the breach block was improperly converted from centerfire to rimfire and and some rattle. recently relined octagonal 26" barrel in .22 short.) we set about negotiating how much we would each pay for our respective rifles to meet the sellers asking price. the my fellow buyer commented that he wanted the rifle to replace one he already owned that a gunsmith had ruined when rebarreling for him.. he gave a very dire description of its state.. even more interesting. i volunteered to pay the greater half ($400) if he would give me his parts gun; the he copuld have his new LW for $350.  after hmming for a minute, he agreed. we payed up, grabbed our guns and i jumped in his pickup to retrieve the parts gun from his house. i was expecting a box of parts from his description so i was amazed when he pulled out a nice, complete .22 wmr from his safe and handed it to me!

gundata places the serial #156x as 1886 manufacture. completely funtional and very tight. there is a crack, int the front flange (barrel was not turned down enough apushed it out when torquing the new barrel in.) and the reciever has been poorly welded.  supposedly the smith sho put the new barrel on, fired a greased proof load and the grease caused a pressure spike whick cracked the saide of the reciever. the smith welded it up, (wasn't the best welder tho) refinished it and charged extra for his "services". the owner, outraged, didn't trust the repair job and only fired it a couple of times before laying it aside in the safewhere it has sat ever since.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2016 at 4:48pm by bluejeans »  

IP Logged

bluejeans

Re: new low walls; pay for a one-armed smith :)
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 4:27pm
Print Post  

my plan is to put the good RF breach block out of gun #2 into gun #1 which will then make gun #1 complete.  i will grind out and reweld the reciever of gun #2 and either un-fodify or replace the other breack block to a centerfire to make #2 a .38/357, 22 hornet, 22 jet or who knows. i reload and really don't have a use for the 22 short so it might be sold at some point for biulding funds or trade for a CF. it just too nice for me to justify taking it apart to build a CF.

i recently broke me right arm and clavicle so i haven't been able to take apart a singlw screw yet or even get my calipers out for measuring the breachblocks. in a week or two i'll be moving on these and be able to use my lathe again. in the medantine i'm researching and can order parts.

so the ya go... any comments or suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2016 at 4:49pm by bluejeans »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: new low walls; play for a one-armed smith :)
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Did all right there, didn't ya? Even got a free ride in his truck.

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 1:44am
Print Post  
All I got is one measely low wall and you luck into two??. Talk about the blind squirrel finding two nuts. I'm jealouse. 
Well since this your first post with a purchase you did right by posting pics. You do know we love pics. Nice score. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

bluejeans

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
thanks guys, i'm certainly happy with them.
this isn't my first single shot (several contenders and other break actions) but its my first winchester and first FB.

can anyone tell me core about greased loads? i'd never heard of that until now. i've done some searching and all i've found is a couple of references to the military armouries testing with one dry and one greased proof round... the greased giving  greater rear-ward thrust

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint