Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Winchester low wall question (Read 5135 times)
cdnrokon

Winchester low wall question
Mar 5th, 2016 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
I just picked up a low wall mfg date 1906 and I was looking to make it in to a short range silhouette rifle. It is in 22 lr the barrel is in octagon to round but the stocks are needing to be replaced. I was thinking of ordering new wood for it and maybe looking at a different caliber. I am not up on these low walls your input would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Winchester low wall question
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
All I can offer is that the club range where I shoot runs .22 Rimfire silhouette shoots about four times a year.  The longest range is 100 yards.  This is a popular event here, and I suppose that's true elsewhere.

As for centerfire silhouette, our club doesn't run CF silhouette matches, so I only know that most of the stuff I read about is for cartridges much too powerful for a Low Wall. 

<div class=

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
There is an intermediate rimfire course called .22 Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette.  The .22 Long Rifle cartridges are not loaded with black powder, but the rifles are period single shots, shot off cross sticks for pigs, turkeys and rams, and offhand for chickens.

The animal outlines are somewhat larger than the normal rimfire silhouette targets, but they are shot out to 200 meters for the rams, with proportional distances for the other outlines.

There is a governing body for this game, and they have a web site (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) which might be able to direct you to something local in your area.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I guess that one question to be asked is how much trouble is it to convert the RF to CF, and do you want to undertake that?

If the rifle were mine, I'd keep it as a 22lr.  But then, it is not my rifle, but yours.  What other cartridges are you considering? 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 25-20, 32-20, .357 all would be nice CF rifles on a Low Wall, but there are many more.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 9:21am
Print Post  
I would also keep it in .22LR and do whatever you need to that makes it work well in that caliber for the matches you might want to shoot. 
Check with your local club to see what matches they have, and what rules are on stock configuration, before you choose a stock style to put on it. Some matches require factory style stocks and rifles, while others are somewhat unlimited in the design, and style.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

cdnrokon

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 10:04am
Print Post  
I am thinking the same ,I feel it would be a lot of work converting it to a centerfire small caliber.I will find some nice wood for it and correct butt plate and make it look a lot better than it is now.
I know CPA has wood and buttplates and Treebone but where would i look for drop in parts (spares).
Ballard Rifle Co??

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Ballard parts will fit but they are out of business now so finding them will be difficult if not impossible.  CSharps should be able to supply you with low wall parts that will fit originals.  I would also contact DZarms and MVA although they might only do Highwalls.  Ebay is another good spot, quite a few guys part out low walls on a fairly regular basis.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2016 at 10:10am
Print Post  
You may want to find used wood that matches the patina on your rifle.
Ebay has wood from time to time.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

cdnrokon

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Well i checked with CSharps re parts and they have none that will work with my flat spring 1906 low wall.I was going to rebuild this into a 22 silhouette blaster, but finding spares may be a problem.
It has a 20" octagon to round barrel ,std sights  and it has a non original butt stock.I was going to change out the barrel to a GM 30" and get some new wood and a buttplate and have it all put together.
I was also just offered a stevens model 44 1/2 for 750 CDN and it is complete and in 22 hornet?
Now here is a real delema should i buy the stevens ? and then have a rifle capable of a larger cal like 32/40 and I know CPA will have everything i need to make it a double set trigger ??? I have two other 22 silhouette rifles do i need another ?? I know this is a sickness  Undecided

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Doctor Phil says "Buy the Stevens."

Phil

In fact once you've had a 44 1/2, you may want to sell the Winchester. 

It's trivial to change barrels on the Stevens, it being a takedown design to begin with, and with the addition of a second breechblock/lever/link/extractor assembly you can swap from RF to CF right at the range, in about three minutes, using no other tools than a screwdriver.   The Stevens is also more congenial to tight .22 competition chambers, due to the "rocking" action of the breechblock.   
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2016 at 8:18pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 8:37am
Print Post  
Nice wood, reasonable price.....

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

cdnrokon

Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
I checked them out nice stuff however my rifle has a pistol grip 

Skalkaho wrote on Mar 9th, 2016 at 8:37am:
Nice wood, reasonable price.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint