Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens Armory Model 414 rifle-stock cleaning ? (Read 5335 times)
BillGautsch

Stevens Armory Model 414 rifle-stock cleaning ?
Feb 23rd, 2016 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Greetings to the forum members.  This is my first post.  I have subscribed to The Single Shot Rifle Journal for many years and I am now taking time to work into shooting the single shot rifles I have acquired over time. 

I just "rescued" a modestly cased Armory Model 414 in .22lr from a dealer who was about to "part it out" on the internet. It was an old gentleman's pride and joy with a nice homemade custom wood case for the take down rifle and a Lyman 438 Field scope with better micro adjustable mount.  The tang sight is the Lyman 52a with windage adjustment in the top peep fixture. The original receiver sight is missing.  Through fair wear and tear the rifle is about 85-90% and bore is VG. It has the early plastic butt plate, serial #7134X.  Sling loops are missing from the mounts.  I look forward to a long relationship with this rifle.
My question is for a cleaner recommendation to wipe down the stock to remove any dirt and grime (its minimal) and what to apply to maintain the finish which is in good condition?  Any comments will be appreciated, thank you.

Sincerely,
Bill Gautsch

FWIW:  I reside in the La Crosse, Wisconsin area along the Mississippi River.  Any one near by?

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Re: Stevens Armory Model 414 rifle-stock cleaning ?
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Bill welcome to the madness.

We have put on a schuetzen match here for the last 29 years. We have a 110 shot match in the spring and the fall.  As well as an Issa regional match Father's Day weekend in Eau Claire just a short drive away
Questions sportslube@aol.com

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum.
Agree with Dave.  Murphy's Oil Soap with a soft bristle brush if needed (no steel wool). Buff out with a paste wax.  NO silicon wax or polish. Post some photos in the picture section.

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
I like a little TruOil rubbed in with 0000 steel wool wiped off immediately with a clean cloth or paper towel. Follow up with a coat of Renaissance Wax on both the stock and metal in a day or so. The Smithsonian uses this wax. Good stuff and a little goes a long way.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
I'm with Slumlord on this one.  Using oil on the wood will actually dissolve a thou or three of the existing oil or varnish, allowing embedded grime to be scrubbed away.  The remaining film of clean oil becomes the new finish.

And props to you for keeping a fine old arm away from being broken up!      

<div class=

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
I have a 414 Armory Model and have not thought of it as a "take down rifle". Perhaps this description can be discussed? Thanks ............. and Welcome to the forum to BillGautsch. Enjoy the ride and Good Shooting!

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

BillGautsch

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen your guidance is much appreciated! 

I am not much of a computer wizard, however, I will post pictures of the rifle after clean-up.

Not all Stevens models have threaded barrels.  Some models are a smooth slide-in fit to the receiver and then held by set screw.  I believe I read somewhere a comment referencing the Model 414 to be a takedown system.  For this model the barrel is threaded into the receiver and very nearly stops top dead center with the forearm wood aligning to the receiver sides.  A large set screw in the receiver under the barrel does the final barrel / receiver alignment when tightened into a deep index hole in the barrel.

The barrel diameter is turned down to fit into the receiver a total of 1 9/16".  The first diameter is 0.740" for 5/8."  Then the second barrel diameter is 0.80" However, at the start of that diameter there is a section of threads for 3/8" at 20 TPI.  This is the system of the Model 414 "takedown" rifle, allowing it to fit nicely in the wood case 27" long, 8" wide and 3" high.  Intended or not it is a compact travel box.  The scope is dismounted and contained in the case.

Hope this information is helpful.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Bill

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
I found this on the CMP Forum years ago for cleaning Garand stocks. I've used this on Garands, single shot rifles, lever guns, etc. and it works great. It might not be wise to use this on varnished stocks, although I have and they turned out fine.

Equal parts of Flaxseed oil, denatured alcohol, and turpentine.

It will remove the grime and revitalize the finish on the wood. Wipe/rub on with a soft cotton cloth and remove the excess. Repeat as necessary. 

Flaxseed oil is food grade linseed oil and can be found in health food stores. It's also the best oil for seasoning cast iron.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
For what it's worth, I had a piece of wood that I'd finished as a test, with Minwax Antique Oil Finish, a couple of years ago.  I gave it a good rubdown with Flitz metal polish just to see what happened.  The result was a incredibly slick and shiny finish.  Probably too shiny for the rifle we're discussing but it was interesting.

JS

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 3:36am
Print Post  
RayH wrote on Feb 23rd, 2016 at 9:35pm:
I have a 414 Armory Model and have not thought of it as a "take down rifle". Perhaps this description can be discussed? Thanks ............. and Welcome to the forum to BillGautsch. Enjoy the ride and Good Shooting!

All Model 44 based Stevens rifles can be taken down with very little effort.  Loosen the setscrew under the front of the receiver, open the action to clear the extractor, and the barrel will unscrew by hand, unless somebody glued it in. I have found one like that, and I also have received one that was rebarrelled with an interference-fit thread.  Unnecessary.   

The Model 44 system never had a slip-in barrel.  That was reserved for the "Favorite" boys' rifles.   

<div class=

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Thank you for the explanation of "take down". I had been under the (evidently) mistaken impression that the term was used to describe a firearm (most often a rifle) that might be more readily broken down into two sections for carrying/shipping/storing, etc.  in a short case. 
I guess I'm thinking of some of my old shotguns.

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

blunderbus41

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 10:41am
Print Post  
I love the discussion; I too, have a 414. Just bought the left hand cheekpiece stock from one of our members. that is one of the most fun rifles I have.It is killer on squirrels. Please take some pictures! I will have my daughter teach me how to post pictures. john

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Hi John

Don't tell these people your LH or they will distrust you!! Wink

Don G

IP Logged

blunderbus41

Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Yea Don, But they always love your money! john Grin

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
The 414 is a 44 action which can be taken down as described. If they have not been taken down for a long time, or possibly never, they can be stubborn. I have found a heat gun and a rubber strap wrench to be helpful in those cases. I recommend a coat of anti seize compound on the threads if you take the barrel off. Makes it easier in the future and prevents wear on the threads.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint