Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Back Stop and Bulllet Trap Designs (Read 3128 times)
n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Back Stop and Bulllet Trap Designs
Feb 18th, 2016 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Any suggestions will be helpful.  My basic idea is to use Railroad Ties to frame out a sand-pile.  This I hope will take care of the safety factor but I need a better way of re-claiming the lead than digging thru the pile.  Any suggestions on low tech traps.
Thanks!

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Re: Back Stop and Bulllet Trap Designs
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
The indoor ranges use ground up tires like at the playground

GTalk  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
I spent a lot of time studying this issue and nearly 100 cases I found online where ranges were accused to bullet loss.  

Sand is the worst material you can use for bullet retention and has a very high ricochet potential.  The backstop needs to be as vertical (preferably less than 10 degrees off)  and solid as practical. Sounds like a mechanical trap is what you need to reclaim.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 12:03am
Print Post  
I think one needs to consider what type of round is being fired and the distance.  My trap, currently at 50 ft, is based on 2x4 walls with chip board on both sides (think bullet catching out house) with road base fill in the walls.  Then I have two lawyers of angled steel plate (more resistant to puncturing) and the front is covered with heavy conveyor belting.  The lead ends up in the bottom of the house if it makes it through.   I normally fire just 22lr but the belting will stop 38 special rounds and the 45 ACP doesn't make even a dent on the steel.  The 22 rounds can just get stuck...not so good.  They sort of fuse together.   

I covered the house in some left over steel barn siding.  I need to paint a half moon on the front Wink

I shot some low power 22 ammo and the bullets bounced back.  It may be overkill with the heavy belting. 

Dave

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Rubber tires filled with dirt for a back stop bounce bullets all over the place. Everything form pistol to 550 gr lead 45.  Bullet containment isn't easy  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 12:33am
Print Post  
Double Dittos on the ground-up tire mulch.   This year I made one of a 55 gallon drum laid down for the back yard.   Half full of mulch, then a layer of heavy conveyor belting, then more mulch.  So far nothing has penetrated as far as the belting.  Face of the drum is Coroplast sheet.  Paper targets attach with push-pins.  This is set on a steep hill, so if I miss, the hill catches the bullet.  (I haven't missed it yet.... Cool  )

Bullets do not fragment.  Indeed some bullets could be reloaded and fired again.  

I bought seven bags of the mulch.  Only needed five.

<div class=

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 3:18am
Print Post  
How fine is the mulch?

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 3:35am
Print Post  
Pieces about the size of the first joint of your thumb.  Plus or minus.  

BTW It's not really ground-up tires.  There's no bits of wire in it.

<div class=

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 6:29am
Print Post  
Our clubs indoor range uses a slanted steel plate that deflects bullets downward into ground tire mulch . It's special stuff no wire. We shovel it out separate the mulch from bullets and re-use it. Exactly how I don't know it's a work party job I avoid. Angle is the key and limiting type of bullets used. Some can ruin any backstop.

We used to use sand. Ground tires much easier I am told. 

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint