Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Book on Steven's Rifles (Read 8875 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Book on Steven's Rifles
Reply #15 - May 26th, 2016 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
I do not but it sure does sound like it might be interesting based on the description.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 26th, 2016 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Stevens put out several "practical" publications, the best known likely being [i]Guns and Gunning[i], edited by Daniel C. Beard of Boy Scouts fame.  This book is likely another such.  The come-on warns that it is an imperfect copy; and as "Printers" in the title is almost surely really "Pointers", I'd be afraid that that warning should not be taken lightly!  I'd try hunting for an original copy through ABE Books or one of the other internet collectible book resources.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - May 26th, 2016 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 26th, 2016 at 6:14pm:
I do not but it sure does sound like it might be interesting based on the description.

JLouis

Based on the incredibly stupid typo and ridiculous cover photo (was that fortress attacked or defended using Stevens rifles???), it looks more like a bad joke to me.  Since at the bottom is printed "From Old Catalog," the implication is that the contents are reproduced from a Stevens catalog.  (But not #51-54--I checked.)

A work not mentioned is Cope's Stevens Pistols & Pocket Rifles, which begins with a reasonably good overview of who Stevens was and how he began his business.  But of course it doesn't compare with Grant's books.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - May 26th, 2016 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
I also have a signed copy of Strong's book. Bought it from him personally at the Belleville Illinois Gunshow in 1993. Nice gentleman as I recall. It is mostly reprints from old catalogs and other literature. First Stevens book I bought as I recall. It has the only printed material I have found on the Stevens Bisley Model. It was copied from an English sales brochure as I recall. While far from  complete, it is all Stevens. Even shows the Stevens Automobile.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint