Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard Arms (Read 13527 times)
Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard Arms
Reply #15 - Feb 6th, 2016 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Hey Froggie, you can get all the high wall parts you need from MVA. I just got a complete double set trigger pistol grip lower tang with all the parts including the Helm lever.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2016 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
"There is a Ballard website ? or is that a different Ballard ?"
So once upon a time there was Ballard Rifle and Cartridge Company, that existed in the land known as Cody, Wyoming. The company was sold to Bill Northrup who moved the company to Michigan and changed the name of the company to Ballard Arms. They made reproduction Ballards and High Walls. They also offered parts for both. The company is now OUT OF BUSINESS, which means no guns and no parts, nada.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2016 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
TWOGUNS wrote on Feb 6th, 2016 at 8:18pm:
There is a Ballard website ? or is that a different Ballard ?

Yeah........ I wonder why the Ballard Arms website is still up. It isn't free, so someone must be paying the annual fee to keep it going. Do wonder why.

In addition to MVA, DZ Arms in OKC also offers any number of 1885 Win parts. 

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 6th, 2016 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Just because no one is paying for it does not mean it is taken down.  I took about 3 years for my business site to go away after I quit paying for it.  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 12:44am
Print Post  
Any one had their hands on the Ballard from Romano? (Their web site is temporarily down.)
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2016 at 11:33am by KWK »  

Karl
IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 9:56am
Print Post  
The Romano Ballard is the 1st model Kentucky Civil War version with a 30" 44/40 barrel and is intended for the N-SSA single shot category of arms. I don't think it is offered in any other variation. At $4000 it is a fairly high priced toy for a limited use. I got to handle one for a short time but I've never shot one. I'm currently restoring an original 1st mod KY Ballard and I'll shoot that one.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #21 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 10:43am
Print Post  
If the Romano Ballard is based on the Kentucky Ballard, then it's most likely a Ball and Williams, or R Ball variation, which would have top and bottom tangs, and not the internal tang/through bolt of the other Ballards. Not sure if any of the parts would interchange with the most popular Marlin Ballard variation?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Yes, the Romano Ballard is a copy of the Ball & Williams Ballard and it has upper and lower tangs. No parts are the same as the Marlin Ballard. I understand the frame and all parts are made from modern steel and aren't like the thin castings of the originals.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 11:41am
Print Post  
If a B&W, then the Romano has the one piece breech. Neat.

As for "high priced toy for a limited use," it seems it will do what people want a rifle to do: shoot paper, steel, or deer. Compared to over $10k for a Hagn or many of the European singles for high power, modern cartridges, I can't say $4000 is "high priced." Yeah, a C. Sharps 1885 for half the price is perhaps a better bargain, but I'm glad he's offering the Ballard, even if I don't need one.

Karl
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #24 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
$4,000 isn't a cheap gun, but considering that's right where Ballard Arms was on theirs just before they closed their doors, it's not out of line for a small production firearm today. What choice does anyone have if they want a Ballard? Not like a number of other copies of other old single shot designs, where there are multiple makers to choose from.

IP Logged

TWOGUNS

Reply #25 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks ,i will refrain from going there now and fantasizing about some of their former rifles,''Another one bites the dust '' whos next ?.22Hepburn wrote on Feb 6th, 2016 at 8:54pm:
"There is a Ballard website ? or is that a different Ballard ?"
So once upon a time there was Ballard Rifle and Cartridge Company, that existed in the land known as Cody, Wyoming. The company was sold to Bill Northrup who moved the company to Michigan and changed the name of the company to Ballard Arms. They made reproduction Ballards and High Walls. They also offered parts for both. The company is now OUT OF BUSINESS, which means no guns and no parts, nada.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 3:55pm:
$4,000 isn't a cheap gun, but considering that's right where Ballard Arms was on theirs just before they closed their doors, it's not out of line for a small production firearm today. What choice does anyone have if they want a Ballard? Not like a number of other copies of other old single shot designs, where there are multiple makers to choose from.

While you can walk out the door with either a C. Sharps Arms 1885 or 1874 or a Shiloh Sharps 1874 or 1877 with sights for just under $3K, it is a very plain-Jane model with very unfancy wood, no checkering, etc. The Cody Ballards were mostly all high-dollar rifles and had fancy wood, checkering and polished barrels, etc. You can easily run the cost of a C. Sharps or Shiloh Sharps rifle up to that level if that's what you want. The two Hepburn suppliers of today, C. Sharps and DZ Arms, both start their Hepburn rifles in the $4K range as they are all very nicely finished with nice wood. 

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
I checked the Ballard Arms website regularly. Before they went belly up , a plain jane #3  (plain wood, no checkering, etc) was $3800.00. Add in shipping and 10% excise tax and you're well over $4k. I believe a fancy 3f, with DST's would run you about $5k.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #28 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
The receipt for my Schoyen style Cody Ballard was for $4600 in 2004. It has an extra heavy #4 weight round Badger barrel, extra grade schuetzen stocks, Schoyen Swiss buttplate, double set triggers, #6 ball and spur lever with filler. Sights were MVA Soule, and Baldwin globe, but not part of the order. They were sent to Cody, and a $30 additional charge to mount them on the gun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint