Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic #9 powder (Read 2900 times)
colo native
Oldtimer

#9 powder
Feb 7th, 2016 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
I have a new # of #9 powder, a friend gave me an older can of #9, the older looks much finer and darker, is it the same, or will it act the same. 
the newer can is made by western powder, the older has no name except accurate name??   
any help out here???

IP Logged

EricJ

Re: #9 powder
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 12:05am
Print Post  
I'd definitely start out low, as AA powders have been made in a few different places over the years.  In 1991 AA was made in Israel, in 1993 it was made by Olin (who knows were that is made) and some was Chinese made powder, Western now owns the rights to AA.  How to read the label is for instance it'll have numbers like 30295 that means it was made on the 302nd day of 1995.  I would start out about 10-15% below the charge you are currently using and work from there.
  I've found powders often change with lot numbers even when the same brand/numbers.

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 1:12am
Print Post  
I stopped using AA#9 quite a few years ago.  Every different lot had something different in the container.  Powders from different lots didn't even look the same - they really didn't shoot the same.

Some lots were great, others terrible.

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:22am
Print Post  
I’m with Jan I stopped when Accurate started getting powders from different eastern European manufacturers. When they became blends of three or more different size granules. The original #9S was an Israeli surplus powder and was good stuff. The first batch after that was pretty good then Accurate went down hill fast. Suggest that don’t mix the two shoot up the #9 and then get some Ramshot Enforcer.

40 Rod

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 10:41am
Print Post  
I've had better luck with #9. My 33 ELCO Max, will only shoot well if fed #9. It doesn't like any other powder, including Enforcer. I started out 3 years ago with a can that I had bought in the early 90's. I had tried several other powders but, once I put #9 in, it "shot".

In scrounging for it, I got one newer can that would carbon foul my rifle. I've marked it and set it aside. All the other #9 that I have, works well, including the stuff that I bought out of Canada.

What is appearing on the shevles now (actually last year in Spokane) is good stuff. I continue using it in my 33 when I shoot it.

That's all that I know about it.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Pentz
Senior Forum Member

Funf und Zwanzig mit den
Hut

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 11:04am
Print Post  
I've been using #9 purchased a year ago in my 32-20 CPA, and it has shot well and cleanly.

ASSRA Member Yoostabe # 11497

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Maybe they have their quality issues behind them. I now have 12 lbs of Enforcer and don't need to look further. if I get desperate I can always buy a can and try it again.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Pentz
Senior Forum Member

Funf und Zwanzig mit den
Hut

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Same here.  12 pounds will give me over 7500 loads.  Should keep me busy for the next 6 or 8 years.

ASSRA Member Yoostabe # 11497

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint