Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Can someone explain to me ....... (Read 10787 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Can someone explain to me .......
Reply #30 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Bob I think that cas cutting with BP could happen, but it's also avoidable too.  My experience is only with breech seated bore diameter paper patched bullets, which are probably somewhat comparable.  I have definitely gas cut a few bullets in one rifle, but it does not seem to be  problem in most rifles.  I think the only way to know is to recover some bullets.  The gas cutting is easy to see when it happens.  You can see the deformations around the land edge impressions on the bullet.

Chris.

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Quote:

I thought that the false muzzle was bored to the groove diameter of the barrel to align the bullet. I don't see the advantage of having it rifled.

The FM is rifled to allow the bullet to be perfectly aligned and engraved to match the transition into the barrel. 

After rifling the FM is removed and taper reamed to groove dia. at the muzzle end and to bore dia. at the barrel end (pinned end) then slightly belled to accept the typically larger bullet base band. There are other alignment issues to be addressed in the starter attachment also. 

End result - same bullet positioning as breach seating from the other end but fin-less.

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #32 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Bob, I think the powder charge upsets the bullet into the grooves before any gas or flames reach the base of the bullet. I use cork wads and soft bullets like 60-1. Just enough tin to make the bullets easy to cast.

The old worn out barrels you saw, corrosive primers?  Early smokeless powders were known to ruin perfect barrels in just a few shots.  Ned Roberts.

In my experiments with straight BP, cleaning between shots is mandatory. Groove diameter bullets work excellent in a clean barrel and just as accurate as my ring of light duplex loads. Straight bullets work good too, in a clean barrel.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Feb 6th, 2016 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Whilst I do realize that this might be a little off the subject but as fins to the base of the bullet was mentioned this might be relevant.
Years ago when I was into pistol and air rifle competitions I remember reading an article either by Anschutz or Walther who found that on testing for accuracy that any slight nicks or other to the base of the skirt of an air rifle pellet affected accuracy whereas it didn't matter if it occurred at the nose.
I also used to wonder if the not very smooth base of cast bullets for my pistols also had the same effect.
I don't cast bullets anymore but have experimented with jacketed bullets mainly when using R/F jackets to get the firing pin mark out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint