Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Storm Jonas Recap for John Boy (Read 3946 times)
John Boy
Ex Member

Storm Jonas Recap for John Boy
Jan 24th, 2016 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Received several PM's and my Thanks of Concern for any damage that I might had due to the storm ... so

Most folks on the forum know that Super Storm Sandy in 2012 hammered our basement with 36" of salt water and I had thousands of $ worth of property destroyed or damaged, including all my long arms and other stuff. Jonas did zero damage to our house and the basement is bone dry  Smiley
A Big Thanks to Mother Nature for us ocean beach dwellers.  Though the surf swells were 16 plus ft - full moon - NE winds at 50+ mph ... the dunes held and there was next to nothing of flooding with a little over a foot of snow along the island.

A different story though for dwellers that border the extensive marsh estuary back bays in South Jersey.  They got HAMMERED with flooding from Atlantic City down to the end of the State at Cape May

As for snow - we got a little over a foot but the news stations have broadcast the snow severity in north Jersey and New York.  A shooting buddy in north Jersey had 3 plus feet of fallen and drifts double that height

So - All is Well and Thanks Mother Nature - this time

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Storm Jonas Recap for John Boy
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Glad you’re all right from this year’s big storm. What amazes me tough is how we buy into catastrophe after catastrophe mentality that the 24 / 365 new cycle spoon-feeds us. For gods sake it’s only a couple of feet of snow. We have seen it before and we will see it again. This idea that just because it didn’t happen within the last few years it’s historic is so idiotic. For gods sake our ancestors lived in waddle huts and managed to live through a snowstorm why can’t you in a nice brick house with all our modern conveniences? If you take the time to prepare a little instead of thinking that you can’t possibly cope than it’s a day or two off not the next life and death moment.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
From what I've heard, this was a pretty good storm, but like 40 Rod says, it not exactly the bombing of Dresden.
The media, weather channel in particular, just scares the pants off everyone.
Oh well, better semper paratus, than unprepared.
Aaron, 

Nice here in La Floreeda.
Burgers on the grill, wish I had some of Joe's square bread.
Please send ice, my drink is getting warm
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2016 at 1:29pm by Rebel »  

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Was listening to the radio while on a road trip. Attention, breaking story! A huge blizzard is forecast for the next few days. Seventy five million people in it's path. 

Had me going there for a second. Couple weeks ago Biggi and I were laughing at another breaking news story about Chicago expecting three inches of snow. 

Oh the humanity of it all! Then we went out and shoveled snow/schnee. Have to shovel snow again today. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 2:23pm
Print Post  

Aaahhhh, making fun with the Bavarian snow witch...

Wink  Grin  Cheesy 

Biggi.  Cool

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Panda loves snow!!

Grisen

IP Logged

EricJ

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 12:07am
Print Post  
I'm a horrible person I think.  All I was thinking with the deer video was, BOOM! hang it in the tree and 7 days later I'm going to be eating some good meals.
Last week today we were -14F and everyone was freaking out locally.  I think the young generation probably doesn't remember the bitter cold and heavy snow we used to get, I'm not that old but I remember playing king of the hill on 40ft piles or higher until we couldn't feel our fingers or toes.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 12:32am
Print Post  
feuerbixler wrote on Jan 24th, 2016 at 2:23pm:

Aaahhhh, making fun with the Bavarian snow witch...

Wink  Grin  Cheesy 

Biggi.  Cool

Give a girl a broom and a camera..................

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 12:34am
Print Post  
Think it was New Years. Was -22 here. 15 now, nice...  Smiley

Joe. 

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Well it looks as if it is going to start hitting us here in Britain within 24 hours. It's unlikely to be snow but very heave rain, just when a large part of the countryside is still draining down after the floods less than a month ago. 

Just what we need, 100 mph gales driving high tides one way when vast amounts of water is trying to drain into the sea. There isn't anywhere in Britain more than 56 miles from the sea. 

I'd also better lay in some food for a few days as I may live high and dry but I need to cross low bridges to get the shops some miles away, and I've learned from experience they get shut down first.  Cry

Good luck to everyone,

Harry

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Jan 24th, 2016 at 11:03am:
Glad you’re all right from this year’s big storm. What amazes me tough is how we buy into catastrophe after catastrophe mentality that the 24 / 365 new cycle spoon-feeds us. For gods sake it’s only a couple of feet of snow. We have seen it before and we will see it again. This idea that just because it didn’t happen within the last few years it’s historic is so idiotic. For gods sake our ancestors lived in waddle huts and managed to live through a snowstorm why can’t you in a nice brick house with all our modern conveniences? If you take the time to prepare a little instead of thinking that you can’t possibly cope than it’s a day or two off not the next life and death moment.

40 Rod

Don't you know that in these modern times, it just has to be called a historic catastrophe in order for local level governments to qualify and obtain that "free" tax-payer provided money from FEMA.
And the D.C. government is requesting aid from FEMA to handle the snow.
Wonder if they can get all the paperwork processed before the snow melts away.

Personally, I like EricJ's outlook on the opportunity for good meals!

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I'm near Newark airport, we got 25" of the white stuff. With temps at/near 40 this week, this mess will soon be a distant memory. but, we still have February and March can be a very tough month as well.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Well it looks as if it is going to start hitting us here in Britain within 24 hours. It's unlikely to be snow but very heave rain, just when a large part of the countryside is still draining down after the floods less than a month ago. 

Just what we need, 100 mph gales driving high tides one way when vast amounts of water is trying to drain into the sea. There isn't anywhere in Britain more than 56 miles from the sea. 

I'd also better lay in some food for a few days as I may live high and dry but I need to cross low bridges to get the shops some miles away, and I've learned from experience they get shut down first.  Cry

Good luck to everyone,

Harry

Harry I think it's the same storm. Inland US got the snow, on the Coast we had very strong wind for two days. 50-60 knots gust even higher.  I watch the offshore buoy's on the National  Buoy Data center, we had 16 foot swells a few miles offshore. Looking at the Western most buoy from the UK you have 13 foot swells and the storm is not even there .

Boats

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
EricJ,

At least about 20 years ago in Maryland, adjacent to  DC, on homeowner's land immediately adjacent to Rock Creek Park, there was a program allowing designated, approved "hunters" to kill deer with crossbows on homeowner's land with permission of homeowner. For a while that was very popular program ------ but, last I knew the program was dying out. Those designated, approved "hunters" got tired of shooting so many "tame" deer. Neither Homeowner or "Hunter" got to eat deer.

There was a big fuss initially about those "hunters". Then homeowners tired of system cause "hunters" would come (on request of landowner), cock and load crossbow, walk into back yard and kill one deer and leave, taking dead deer. Then following summer does would have two more -- NOT a long term winning process for homeowners.

Also, "hunter" selection was supposedly very picky. "Hunter" had to be a real, life Willian Tells and kill deer instantly, on spot with one bolt. No deer allowed to stagger into neighbors' yard, getting it all bloody while dying.

Should you look on map of DC metropolitain area, you will see that Rock Creek Park is a large forested area along creeks. Deer used RCP as sleeping places and ate their meals in homeowners back yards. Slowly, homeowners planted more and more plants that deer did not like. 

Then I moved away and lost touch with folks there.

Grisen

FYI -- Last I new, in DC, it was highly illegal to defend your backyard vegetation from deer by shooting and eating them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint