Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Help on a Shiloh Sharps Model 1874 in 50/90 (Read 18078 times)
Rich_Siegel

Re: Help on a Shiloh Sharps Model 1874 in 50/90
Reply #15 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
The Accurate Powder reloading manual, first edition, lists the following smokeless loads for the 50/90,
440 grain bullet  29.7 to 33 grains of 5744
72 to 80 grains of 4350
76.5 to 85 grains of 3100

You might check their web site for more loads.  I shoot smokeless out of my Shiloh 50/70 and enjoy it.  I've also tried duplex and BP with equal success.   

Rich

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Harry the modern day Creedmoor matches in America would definitely permit that rifle.  The rifle can weigh 15 lbs and DST's are fine.  I wouldn't want to shoot a full 2 day match with a .50-90 though.  But I'm sure it's been done!

Chris.

IP Logged

High Noon
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks Art, Rich & Gunlaker!! 

I really would like to try a few different 600 to 700 grain Creedmoor style cast bullets to see what the rifle likes and then order or buy a mould. I posted in the classifieds too. I've had this rifle for a while and this year I'm going to shoot it and also hunt with it if all goes well. 

Thanks!!! 
High Noon

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 10:50am
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Jan 22nd, 2016 at 6:15pm:
Harry the modern day Creedmoor matches in America would definitely permit that rifle.  The rifle can weigh 15 lbs and DST's are fine.  I wouldn't want to shoot a full 2 day match with a .50-90 though.  But I'm sure it's been done!

Chris.

I think it is a shame that competitions have become degraded over time. The original Creedmoor Competitions called for a rifle weighing no more than 10 lbs., and with a trigger pull of a minimum of 5 lbs., and no dst's.
Why the change in the rules?. To make it easier to shoot perhaps? Hardly in the spirit of the original competition.

Similarly I watched a Cowboy Action competition on YouTube where the competitors used period pistols, rifles and shotguns with loads that produced no perceptible recoil, 44/40 Winchesters with no recoil or muzzle lift, their loads were pipsqueak rounds. Why? Surely it's debasing the sport, in a way it's a form of cheating in my opinion. The opinions of others may however, vary.

Harry.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 11:11am
Print Post  
I'm not sure why the rules are different than those used in the old days, but it's still a very difficult game.  From the impression I get, the old matches were pretty leisurely, whereas the new matches have strict time limits.   Cross sticks and palm rests are another change.

Regardless, it is a pile of fun.

I think that the shooting sports always evolve, even when we try to make them stand still.  From what I can see, the modern single shot bench matches seem to be quite different than they were in the 1800's too.

Chris.

IP Logged

Lumpy Grits
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Shiloh does not recommend 'smokeless' in this caliber rifle.
Call'em to confirm.
LG

Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men

IP Logged

Rich_Siegel

Reply #21 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
According to the owner of Shiloh, their actions are as strong as the Ruger #1.  The Accurate Powder company used a C Sharps to develop their load data so I think there is no problem with smokeless loads.  In fact, Shiloh readily admits that most of their customers just shoot smokeless powders in their rifles.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Lumpy, no manufacturer will recommend anything but black for cartridges that have no SAAMI standard for pressure. For example, the Browning BPCR in 40-65 says black only whereas the 45-70 does not - the 45-70 has a SAAMI standard and the 40-65 does not.

IP Logged

MT Chambers

Reply #23 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Really don't know why Dst is not permitted in comp. I though most orig. Sharps '74s had dst......My C. Sharps '74 in 50/90 likes the Lyman 515142 cast from pure lead and 100 grs. of 1 1/2 fg. Swiss...I would not think of using smokeless in my gun.

IP Logged

Lumpy Grits
Participating Member

Reply #24 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Jan 23rd, 2016 at 5:24pm:
Lumpy, no manufacturer will recommend anything but black for cartridges that have no SAAMI standard for pressure. For example, the Browning BPCR in 40-65 says black only whereas the 45-70 does not - the 45-70 has a SAAMI standard and the 40-65 does not.

Plus the fact, it was never/ever factory loaded with smokeless either..... Wink
LG

Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 1:20am
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Jan 23rd, 2016 at 11:11am:
I'm not sure why the rules are different than those used in the old days, but it's still a very difficult game.  From the impression I get, the old matches were pretty leisurely, whereas the new matches have strict time limits.   Cross sticks and palm rests are another change.

Regardless, it is a pile of fun.

I think that the shooting sports always evolve, even when we try to make them stand still.  From what I can see, the modern single shot bench matches seem to be quite different than they were in the 1800's too.

Chris.

Higher scotes, everybody wants them  Grin 

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #26 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 9:54am
Print Post  
I have to agree with Harry here. The 50-90 case was designed for black powder use it. Using a case the size of a small sewer pipe and putting a dab of smokeless powder in the bottom of the case brings it’s own set of problems.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
The 50/90 can be loaded with nitro to surpass any load that one can produce with black powder. What one gains in SD by using black powder can easily be equalled by velocities that no black powder load can accomplish. Don't think so, change the rules to allow gas checks and smokeless powder in BPCR and see the mass exodus to nitro driven 38/55's.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2016 at 1:52pm by Premod70 »  

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Premod70 wrote on Jan 24th, 2016 at 1:36pm:
The 50/90 can be loaded with nitro to surpass any load that one can produce with black powder. What one gains in SD by using black powder can easily be equalled by velocities that no black powder load can accomplish. Don't think so, change the rules to allow gas checks and smokeless powder in BPCR and see the mass exodus to nitro driven 38/55's.

Premod70,
ASSRA doesn't exist to make modern nitro powders more popular. It exists to shoot single shot falling block and similar actions made between approximately 1865 and WW1. That means in most instances, lead bullets pushed by black powder. Generally speaking gas checks are not allowed because they did not exist during that period and they weren't needed for use with BP. The vast majority of the rounds used were designed as BP rounds only and whilst nitro powders were introduced during the 1890's they were so corrosive to barrels and thus wore them out much faster than BP rounds did. 

Nitro powders didn't have to be used in bulk with some of the larger cartridges they were much more powerful than BP but that caused problems and fillers of various sorts were required to hold the powder charge next to the primer to avoid flashover when the primer ignited more powder than was safe and subsequently raised pressures which, if it didn't blow the rifle up, made accuracy a sometimes thing, and that's no good when target shooting. A certain amount of duplexing took place with target loads, but it was in the main to reduce fouling in the smaller BP calibre sizes and permit target shooters to get off three or four shots before cleaning instead of wiping after every shot.

When it comes to BPCR then it's BLACK POWDER only. That's the name of the game. I doubt if any owner of a 50/90 original BP rifle would want to fire it with a full Nitro Load.

Harry

IP Logged

Rich_Siegel

Reply #29 - Jan 25th, 2016 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Harry,
While you are correct about the sport of BP silhouette shooting only allowing BP and plain based lead bullets , for general shooting, Schuetzen matches and hunting, I respectful disagree with you.  In Schuetzen matches, most shooters use smokeless powder (SP).  The vast majority of people shooting the 45/70, 38/55 and 32/40 use SP.  I also believe a majority of Springfield trapdoors are  shot with factory loads and SP.  In fact, the excellent Schuetzen competitors only use SP.  Complicated loading of BP,(drop tubes, compression, and wads) causes all but the truly dedicated competitive BP shooters to switch to SP.  MY 50/70 does as good or better with SP over BP.  And the Accurate Powder Company has safe, reasonable loads for the 50/90 that duplicate the original cartridge velocity and pressure range.  So, for someone who just wants to shoot his Shiloh 50/90 for fun, or practice for BP competition without the added procedures and mess, SP is the way to go.

Rich

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint