Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sight for a Remington RB No.4 (Read 15877 times)
Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Re: Sight for a Remington RB No.4
Reply #15 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the bad number earlier. I had the Stevens spacing in my head but was sure it was Remington.

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Now I am as confused as Marlinguy.  As a result will take my Lyman tang sight with 1 1/8" c-c spacing off the Remington # 4 and throw it in the trash where it belongs  Angry

Don G

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #17 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jan 21st, 2016 at 4:28pm:
marlinguy wrote on Jan 21st, 2016 at 10:57am:
So can I interpret all this as saying Remington #4 with 1.5" spacing were never done at the factory?

Lyman and Marbles obtained their tang sight base mounting screw spacing dimensions from those dimensions previously established by the rifle manufacturers.
Considering that factory sights were produced in batches, how many Remington factory production tang sights with a 1.5" mounting screw spacing for rollingblocks have you encountered in all your years of looking at Remington single shot rifles?    Wink
Lyman didn't produce a base with 1.5" spacing for use with a #4. Neither did Marbles. Nick Stroebel doesn't mention it in his books. Where is the documentation?

I have no documentation, but I wasn't trying to say they all were one spacing or another. My question was based on my lack of knowledge, not as a challenge to what you posted.
Actually don't own but one #4, and have never owned any others. My Rolling Blocks and Hepburns are the standard 1.9375" spacing, but the little #4 didn't appear to have enough room for that long spacing.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
smoke810 wrote on Jan 21st, 2016 at 6:31pm:
Now I am as confused as Marlinguy.  As a result will take my Lyman tang sight with 1 1/8" c-c spacing off the Remington # 4 and throw it in the trash where it belongs  Angry

Don G

Just put your Lyman tang sight with the 1 1/8" c-c spacing on a Rem #6.      Smiley

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jan 21st, 2016 at 8:18pm:
BP wrote on Jan 21st, 2016 at 4:28pm:
So can I interpret all this as saying Remington #4 with 1.5" spacing were never done at the factory?

Lyman and Marbles obtained their tang sight base mounting screw spacing dimensions from those dimensions previously established by the rifle manufacturers.
Considering that factory sights were produced in batches, how many Remington factory production tang sights with a 1.5" mounting screw spacing for rollingblocks have you encountered in all your years of looking at Remington single shot rifles?    Wink
Lyman didn't produce a base with 1.5" spacing for use with a #4. Neither did Marbles. Nick Stroebel doesn't mention it in his books. Where is the documentation?

I have no documentation, but I wasn't trying to say they all were one spacing or another. My question was based on my lack of knowledge, not as a challenge to what you posted.
Actually don't own but one #4, and have never owned any others. My Rolling Blocks and Hepburns are the standard 1.9375" spacing, but the little #4 didn't appear to have enough room for that long spacing.

Vall,

I never took your questions to be any kind of challange to what I had posted.     Smiley

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 10:13am
Print Post  
BP

Are you suggesting that I go and buy a # 6?  Unfortunately I don't own one.  Just kidding of course, all my rifles are .32 or smaller.  I sold all my big bores.
The little tang sight on the # 4 works quite well in spite of the screw spacing.  Smiley

Don G

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 10:25am
Print Post  
smoke810 wrote on Jan 22nd, 2016 at 10:13am:
BP

Are you suggesting that I go and buy a # 6?  Unfortunately I don't own one.  Just kidding of course, all my rifles are .32 or smaller.  I sold all my big bores.
The little tang sight on the # 4 works quite well in spite of the screw spacing.  Smiley

Don G

Don, the #6 Remington is a .22LR.

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Vall

Yeh, I know it is just wasn't thinking.  I still don't own one.  Never did care for it.  I have only owned one and sold it quickly years ago.

Don G

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #23 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
The #6 is really a very small gun, designed for boys. Never felt it fit an adult well, nor was I ever interested in it. Actually haven't ever been a #4 fan either. Only own one because my friend Bob Evans sold me one he engraved back when he first started engraving, and I wanted something he'd done.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 5:32pm
Print Post  

You actually can mount a tang sight base having the Stevens 1.5" c-c spacing on a Rem #4 using the existing factory supplied front tang screw hole...
BUT your rear tang sight mounting screw would then occupy the factory supplied screw hole that the mainspring screw already occupies.     Grin
Then you'd have to modify the mainspring attachment to the underside of the tang.     Wink

IOwnDoubles may not want to over-complicate his restoration project.    Smiley

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #25 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jan 22nd, 2016 at 5:32pm:

You actually can mount a tang sight base having the Stevens 1.5" c-c spacing on a Rem #4 using the existing factory supplied front tang screw hole...
BUT your rear tang sight mounting screw would then occupy the factory supplied screw hole that the mainspring screw already occupies.     Grin
Then you'd have to modify the mainspring attachment to the underside of the tang.     Wink

IOwnDoubles may not want to over-complicate his restoration project.    Smiley

My #4's rear threaded hole appears to have a shorter screw in the mainspring, so looks like a shorter tang sight screw would fit if cut the right length. The front is through the tang, so no length restriction there. Unfortunately I sold a decent aftermarket vernier tang sight not long before I purchased the #4, so now I have to find another suitable tang sight in nice enough condition to work on this gun. I knew I should have kept that sight! Maybe I'll rob the Stevens H tang sight of my Walnut Hill!! Wink

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
I have an aftermarket tang mounted on my #4 with just one screw. The mainspring screw protrudes a bit through the tang and tightly locates the rear of the base. The one mounting screw secures it extremely solidly.

Yeah, I know it looks a little Harlow, but it works fine, it's simple, and hell, it's just a #4
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2016 at 7:36pm by Rebel »  

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #27 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 10:33am
Print Post  
I've used the one screw method before, and put a drop of Loctite blue on the base of the sight to help it hold, but not permanently attach it. It held well even on larger calibers.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Vall,
What larger calibers did you use on your #4?
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #29 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Jan 23rd, 2016 at 11:31am:
Vall,
What larger calibers did you use on your #4?
Aaron

None, I used single screw attachment tang sights on larger caliber singleshots.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint