Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Can't ID my Rolling Block caliber (Read 5641 times)
superc
Ex Member

Can't ID my Rolling Block caliber
May 22nd, 2016 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Hi.  I have a rolling block I recently acquired which is puzzling me.  I bought it for deer hunting in thick brush and I think it will do well as an alternative to my Trapper Winchester 94.  That said, I am having an identification issue.

It is a carbine.   It has (for unknown reasons) been excessively sanitized by someone long, long ago.  There are no visible markings other than a very faint trace showing it once had tang markings.  It is nickled.  The nickeling appears to have been done in the 20th century as in places it wears (such as on the block, I see copper plating underneath and that process combination is WWI era, not 19th century) I have Mr. Layman's book and can tentatively (assuming the rear sight is an original and not an add on) id it as an Argentine '71 (with a bar eztractor)based only on the external appearance.  However...

I did a chamber and bore cast with Cerrosafe.  The bore is .435 with grooves of .433.  

The chamber is that of an unknown to me cartridge.  The chamber walls are straight for a rimmed cartridge.  There is no free bore in front of the chamber edge.  A .43 Spanish will not enter the chamber, too fat.  Of course this also knocks .43 Reformado out of consideration also.

Chamber length: 2.21"
Neck diameter: 0.468"
Base diameter (just forward of rim): 0.476"

The lack of a free bore to me means the actual cartridge is a little shorter than the chamber area as otherwise the bullet would jam against the rifling and the action wouldn't close.

Brass from .45 Colt will not enter the chamber (too fat), but .44 magnum brass will.  I experimentally loaded some 44. Magnum brass with black powder and under a (.435) 44 Henry bullet and it shoots fairly well.  LoL, so too with .442 Webley (with the 435 44 Henry bullet) and 44 Russian, and also 44-40 (however my reading indicates the RB carbines in .44-40 (44 WCF) have a much shorter chamber than my gun does).  I moved on to .444 Marlin brass and immediately ran into the free bore issue.  Using pulled bullets from an original .43 Spanish cartridge (which actually measure .429 with a slight skirt at the base and a weight of 370 grains) on the .444 Marlin brass the rifling engages the bullet about 2mm above the case rim (picture).  Switching back to the pistol bullet (seated deep) allows the round to be chambered and fired with rough extraction due to expansion of the 444 case neck (loaded dimension at the neck is only .451" which means the case has to swell 0.017" for a good fit.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2016 at 9:50am by »  

IP Logged

superc
Ex Member

Re: Can't ID my Rolling Block caliber
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2016 at 8:39am
Print Post  
and fouling.  Hard enough so a cleaning rod is needed to push the case out and the sides of the case are heavily fouled.  Not so much fouling with the shorter cases.

IP Logged

superc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2016 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Here is the 370 grain bullet seated on a 444 Marlin case and we can clearly see where the rifling engages the bullet and prevents the breech block from fully closing without excessive pressure being applied.

IP Logged

superc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2016 at 9:18am
Print Post  
So new .444 Marlin brass is just 56.19mm or 2.21" long and it is just about 2mm too long.   Of course the .444 Marlin was developed maybe 80 years after the gun was made so I doubt that is the original cartridge.

What are my cartridge options?  What rifle do I have?

If European, then I would lean towards the Werndl 11.4x54, but then an 11.4 bullet would be too fat for the bore.  Besides Layman's book doesn't show any RBs leaving the factory chambered for Werndl cartridges (noting Mr. Layman himself indicates there is much not known about what Remington did).  The 11.1 Werndl cartridges seem to have all been bottle necked affairs with base dimensions that seem to exclude them from consideration.  It is understood that Mr. Layman focuses on the military rolling blocks and I am open to the cartriidge being one of the early sales to the civilian market, but the action is an early one as is the barrel's front sight and I can't seem to find anything 'official' pertaining to Remington selling long chambered, straight .43 caliber carbines in the time frame of the action.   .44 Wesson Extra Long is too short while .44 Maynard is too long, so what do I have?

Photo: 370 grain .43 Spanish bullets modified by grinding on a Meplat to reduce penetration and/or increase effectiveness on game, mounted on .444 Marlin brass shortened to 54mm on a compressed load of (by weight) 65 grains of FFF.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2016 at 9:31am by »  

IP Logged

superc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2016 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Where the nickel wears, the copper underneath shows

IP Logged

superc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2016 at 9:42am
Print Post  
The rear sight is of the Argentine carbine configuration.

However, as the gun is lacking any markings and these sights are available for sale I am reluctant to use them as the sole means of identifying the weapon.  Suffice to say that externally it looks like a .43 Spanish carbine in the configuration sold to Argentina in 1871, but the cartridge chamber is totally wrong for that identification.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2016 at 10:04am by »  

IP Logged

superc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2016 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Front sight appears to be appropriate to the action.

IP Logged

superc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2016 at 9:54am
Print Post  
I forgot to mention, whichever dork removed all the marks and proofs, missed the serial #s on the tang below the wood.   The upper and lower tang#s agree.  This is rifle # 605 of that production run.

Boring photo of the receiver's right side.
Smiley
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2016 at 10:00am by »  

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2016 at 10:41am
Print Post  
It may well be that the rifle was previously chambered in 43 Spanish but some bucko lopped off the chamber end of the barrel, rethreaded the breech end, and chambered it to his idea of a cartridge with easy-to-find brass.  If this is the case, I wonder why not full length 444 - perhaps to prevent the chambering of a full-pressure 444.

Of course, you could use shortened and fire-formed 444 brass and neck size with an appropriate insert in a Meacham neck sizing die.  That way, the mouth of the case wouldn't have to obturate so far to seal the chamber and prevent so much blow back.  Oh, and a mold from Accurate Bullet Molds of the proper diameter with a meplat designed in for effectiveness on game.

Looks like a fun hunting rifle if you get it sorted out.

IP Logged

superc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2016 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Thank you for that.  You touched on the one thing I forgot to do.  Measure the barrel length.   

From barrel tip to breech face is exactly 20" which would be proper.  

Last week I saw a cerrosafe cast of a 43 Spanish chamber.  No way is it a match as in the Spanish chamber the bottleneck is quite visible in the casting.  Being at the front end, the narrowing would still be there if the rear had been cut off.  Hiding that narrowing would require adding a sleeve.  There is no sleeve.  Likewise the barrel length is appropriate for an original length barrel.

I do not think it was intentionally chambered for .444 Marlin simply because the width of the chamber is over a full caliber too wide.  .444 Marlin just happens to be the closest fit I can find or think of as a parent base to make loads with.  The chamber is not long enough for a good fit with heavy bullets and just a tad too wide.  

I am open to the concept someone took one of the .32 rimfire carbines, bored it out, changed the block and the hammer, but that still leaves me with the questions of, did Remington even offer 32s in a saddle ring carbine configuration, And  what cartridge did they have in mind when they did this?

Pic: endwise penetration into a hardwood log @ 30 yards using .44 Magnum brass, 36 grains (weight) of FFF and a 200 grain 44 Henry (.435) heeled pistol bullet from the rolling block carbine.  Note evidence of tumbling after entry.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2016 at 1:20pm by »  

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 23rd, 2016 at 11:40am
Print Post  
If somebody cut the barrel breech off and rechambered it, they did a fantastic job of aging the new surface to match the rest of the gun.

Could it be one of the Comblain cartridges?  The specs in the references don't match your chamber very well, but a friend had a Comblain rifle.  He managed to wangle a few reproduction cartridges and fired them.  They were bottlenecks when they went in but came out straight, and after some research he found that the chamber was correct and that's what the cases were supposed to do.  Soldiers fired them and tossed the cases, so it didn't matter.  Don't have a clue what that design was supposed to accomplish, but there it was.  A similar amount of "slop" might be included in the other dimensions as well.

He stopped shooting the gun because he didn't want to "overwork the brass" when reloading it.

There's a Comblain shooter on the Cast Boolits site; if your gun is close, maybe you could compare notes with him.

IP Logged

superc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2016 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Well, I am guilty of an assumption.  I had assumed that because the 43 Spanish chamber casting shows the botleneck I had assumed all bottlenecked cartridge chambers did.  Spain did reload their cartridges, so often that many surviving rounds have blurred headstamps.  So, I assumed.  The idea of a bottle-necked case having a straight chamber hadn't occurred to me.   

Then today, new information came to me.  I was told it was not that the Baby carbines chambered in 44-40 had short chambers, but rather instead that their chambers were shorter than the chambers of 43 Spanish rifles.    So where i was thinking a 44-40 chamber would be not more than 2" (based on an OAL cartridge of 1.92"), actually 'shorter' means anything less than 3".   So I combine your information about your friend's Comblain with straight chamber walls and I did more digging.

The Baby Carbine used a type 1 1/2 frame.  Other military carbines mostly used the type 1 frame.  Mr. Layman's book and other sources merely say the Baby Carbines had a thinner frame than the Type 1.   But he provided no measurements.   Sad 

Today I found this (very valuable info IMO).
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

There's a comparison photo, but I will quote "oldremguy"'s measurements from there below..
"The top rifle is a Sporting Model Creedmoor Musket chambered in 44-90???? The thickness at the front of
the receiver is 1.22", the thickness at the back of the receiver is 1.24". This rifle has a longer bottom tang.

The 2nd rifle from the top is a No.1 Sporting rifle chambered in 32 Long rimfire. The thickness at
the front of the receiver is 1.23" and at the back of the receiver is 1.24". This rifle has the longer bottom tang.

The 3rd rifle from the top is a NYS Model rifle chambered in 50-70. The thickness at the front of
the receiver is 1.32" and at the back of the receiver is 1.36". This rifle does not have the longer bottom tang.
But some of the early made rolling block rifles that were chambered in .58 rimfire or centerfire using Model 1861
and 1863 Springfield musket parts (wood, barrel, barrel bands, buttplate and rear sight) do have a longer bottom tang,
as found on the sporting models.

The 4th from the top is a baby carbine, built on a No. 1-1/2 frame in 44-40 caliber. The thickness at the front of
the receiver is 1.14" and at the back of the receiver is 1.13". This carbine does not have a longer bottom tang."

At last, numbers I can use.  What are my gun's measurements?

IP Logged

superc
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 23rd, 2016 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
So what I seem to have is a Light Baby Carbine (LBC) to which someone has attached the wrong rear sight.  The rear sight should have smaller ears and 600 yard markings, not the 500 yard markings of the Argentina carbine.  

The military version of the LBC was offered in only 2 calibers.  44-40 and 44 rimfire.  Civilian versions were offered in calibers from .22 on up to .44-40.  Civilian versions mostly had octagonal barrels.  Only about 5,000 total were built.  Uruguay ordered about 3,500 in saddle ring carbine configuration and in 44=40.

When I fire 44=40 ammo in the gun the case walls blow out straight and it looks just like one of the fired 44 Magnum cases.  Based on the frame measurements I must conclude this frame and barrel is indeed a 44-40 chambering.  I would of course be a lot happier with that determination if someone out there with an original 'Light Baby Carbine' of known provenance did their own chamber casting and posted the results.

Now as to the question of why Remington cut a .44=40 chamber so deep, I have no idea.  I am thinking the most efficient loading is as I have been doing with cut down .444 Marlin brass, perhaps mostly with the 200 grain pistol bullet.  I will do some chronograph testing when this local rainy spring (26 of the past 30 days have been rainy days) converts to a dry summer.

measurement at a different point
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2016 at 3:55pm by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint