Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sight for a Remington RB No.4 (Read 15880 times)
IOwnDoubles

Sight for a Remington RB No.4
Jan 18th, 2016 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Is there a peep sight made for a Remington No. 4 rolling block.  I can't see the open sights.  I am trying to restore a No.4 right now.

I am heading to Vegas for the Beinfeld Show.  If I knew what to look for I might get lucky.

If no peep how about a repo or modern scope?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jerry

IP Logged

Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Re: Sight for a Remington RB No.4
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 1:34am
Print Post  
If it has 1.5" screw spacing on the tang, the Marbles sight is probably just the thing. You'll want the "short range" sight, unless you put a taller front sight on (or a globe sight).

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 8:07am
Print Post  
I use a MVA 130 series with a MVA Borchardt base reversed and a single screw like the original. Works well and reasonably priced. If you are interested P.M. me your address and I will email you photos of the sight installed on a #4. Kenn Womack also offers a replica of the original Remington gallery sight for the #4. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

SSS

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Out of curiosity what is a reasonable price for a Lyman tang sight made for a Remington # 4?  I don't have a clue.  You rarely see one on a # 4.

Don G
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2016 at 6:31pm by smoke810 »  

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
If this photos come through it is the #4 with the MVA

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
I bought a proper Lyman tang sight for my No.4 in Nov, 2013 and paid $225 for it.   ... what was I thinking?!

... Joe

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Original period #4 Rolling block tang sights:
Lyman "U" code
Marbles "R3" code

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Joe Do...

That's lookin' right and proper.     Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2016 at 9:36pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2016 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
I removed the tang sight on my # 4 and found it has no marking on the bottom. only on the barrel.  Pat Jan 29  79.  This patent date is consistent with other Lyman sights I have.  By the way the hole spacing is 1 1/8" C-C.  Also the case color under sight is gorgeous.  This is telling me that the sight was probably on the rifle when purchased.

Don G

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2016 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
smoke810 wrote on Jan 19th, 2016 at 6:53pm:
I removed the tang sight on my # 4 and found it has no marking on the bottom. only on the barrel.  Pat Jan 29  79.  This patent date is consistent with other Lyman sights I have.  By the way the hole spacing is 1 1/8" C-C.  Also the case color under sight is gorgeous.  This is telling me that the sight was probably on the rifle when purchased.

Don G

Don,

From your description, your sight with the 1 1/8" C-C spacing may well have been installed on the rifle when purchased, but even the #4 action used the standard Remington tang sight screw spacing of 1 15/16" C-C.
Your shorter C-C spaced sight may have simply been what the seller of the rifle had on hand at the time of sale, and it served its purpose.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

PetahW

Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 10:10am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

My 1902 Remington catalog also shows what Remington called their Gallery or Sporting tang peep sight as an option for .22 & .32 RF rifles - which had a funky curved/humped sight base ahead of the peep sight staff (RH most tang sight, below).

« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2016 at 1:36pm by PetahW »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 10:54am
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jan 19th, 2016 at 7:20pm:

Don,

From your description, your sight with the 1 1/8" C-C spacing may well have been installed on the rifle when purchased, but even the #4 action used the standard Remington tang sight screw spacing of 1 15/16" C-C.
Your shorter C-C spaced sight may have simply been what the seller of the rifle had on hand at the time of sale, and it served its purpose.

I'm a bit confused, which is easy for me! Earlier it was mentioned the standard #4 spacing was 1.5"? My #4 doesn't have a tang sight, but the plug screws are spaced 1.5" also. So what is "standard spacing"?

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2016 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
The Remington factory gallery sight, which mounted with a single screw near the frame/tang junction, was a Remington product.

Lyman produced two basic length component part sight bases used for their tang sights designed for use with the Remington rolling block rifles.

The Lyman tang sights made for the Remington #2, #3, #4, and #5 used a base that had a mounting screw spacing of 1 15/16” center to center. Various joint assemblies (Lyman's term for what some call the upright) having different overall lengths/heights were installed into this particular length base, the base was marked with the specific code for the firearm model application and packaged along with the specific model application mounting screws, and finally sold as a unit item.

Lyman (and Marbles) did not list a tang sight that was specifically coded to fit the Rem #1 or the #1 1/2, but some were drilled and tapped (exactly when this occurred depends on the documentation that the owner is able to provide) and tang sights coded for other specific models were installed on these rifles.

For the Remington #6 rifle, Lyman used a shorter sight base that had a mounting screw spacing of 1 1/8” center to center. This particular base, when combined with other various joint assemblies that were never designed to be used for Remington rifles, was used for tang sights (and packaged with the appropriate mounting screws) for rifles made by other rifle manufacturers.
You could have someone install the tang sight coded for the #6 on a #4 and it would do the job, so to speak, but the joint assembly that was originally installed by Lyman into this short base was not designed for use with the Remington #4 rifle.

The basic length component part tang sight base with the 1.5" center to center screw spacing was referenced by Lyman as the “Stevens” base, and the various joint assemblies that were originally installed by Lyman into this base were not designed for use with Remington rifles.

And as we all know, someone with a drill and appropriate taps can install sights.
And years have passed and sights have been torn apart and reassembled using parts from other sights to product many non-factory component combinations.
Have fun.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2016 at 6:58pm by BP »  

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #13 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 10:57am
Print Post  
So can I interpret all this as saying Remington #4 with 1.5" spacing were never done at the factory?

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jan 21st, 2016 at 10:57am:
So can I interpret all this as saying Remington #4 with 1.5" spacing were never done at the factory?

Lyman and Marbles obtained their tang sight base mounting screw spacing dimensions from those dimensions previously established by the rifle manufacturers.
Considering that factory sights were produced in batches, how many Remington factory production tang sights with a 1.5" mounting screw spacing for rollingblocks have you encountered in all your years of looking at Remington single shot rifles?    Wink
Lyman didn't produce a base with 1.5" spacing for use with a #4. Neither did Marbles. Nick Stroebel doesn't mention it in his books. Where is the documentation?
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2016 at 4:35pm by BP »  

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint