Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 12L14 Barrel Steel (Read 13907 times)
argie1891
Senior Forum Member

Re: 12L14 Barrel Steel
Reply #15 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 1:11am
Print Post  
thanks I must need glasses as I looked in the past and couldn't find square but you sure are correct I don't know how I missed it. I use speedy most of the time when I order with shipping what it is I try to buy local but there is not much choice, and most of the time they don't know one steel from another they call it steel and that is all they know

if you think you have it figured out  then you just dont understand

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 4:43am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jan 15th, 2016 at 11:05am:
Was shooting my .22 Stevens with a 12L14 barrel yesterday. Dang it shoots good! New RKS barrel.  

Yep, send me all them soft barrels. 

Joe.

Joe, You may get more replies, and possibly barrels  if you offered to pay the postage on them.  Roll Eyes

Harry

IP Logged

Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
I have encountered more made-up "engineering" expertise in the firearms field than anywhere else.

While the ultimate tensile strength is lower, 12L14 has the same 60k+psi yield strength as 4130/4140.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
A 4140 HT barrel, such as Douglas would make, will have a Hardness of about RC34 and a yield strength of 142,000 psi

Not to mention that that I doubt if you'd be able to blow it up at any temp.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #19 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
westerner wrote on Jan 15th, 2016 at 11:05am:
Was shooting my .22 Stevens with a 12L14 barrel yesterday. Dang it shoots good! New RKS barrel.  

Yep, send me all them soft barrels. 

Joe.

Joe, You may get more replies, and possibly barrels  if you offered to pay the postage on them.  Roll Eyes

Harry

Consideration upon inspection. After all I would be doing a service.   Roll Eyes

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 7:35pm
Print Post  

From a discussion on, American Long Rifles Forums, Dated July 2010

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

To quote LaSalle:
. . .The impact energy, as measured by the Charpy test, is given as a function of the test temperature . At low temperatures, the impact energy was found to be very low, less than 5 ft-lb (6.8 Joules), and the transition temperature . . . higher than 70°F (21.1°C)   
Translation: this steel, as do  others, becomes brittle from cold.  “Cold” to 12L14   is room temperature.

It should be understood that LA-LED® has low impact properties with wide scatter as measured by the Charpy test, and users should be aware of this fact. . . if impact or shock loading is anticipated, particularly at low ambient temperatures (i.e., an American’s idea of room temperature, or below) this aspect of design and material selection should be considered . . . 

LA-LED is LaSalle's trade name for 12L14.

I can also look up the barrel failures that I read about in the 80's in my Muzzle Blast magazines.

I have no issues about using 12L14 for 22rf but, if I had one of these barrels in CF, I would for sure send it to Joe Smiley

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #21 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
I might consider paying partial postage on some barrels such as, RKS, Zischang, Sharps Ballard Pope Ron Long Darr Bresien Schoyer Peterson Neidner... etc etc, As long as they're the dangerous soft barrels.

I'm doing the best I can the wear out my almost new RKS 12L14 barrel. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Marlene wrote on Jan 17th, 2016 at 3:45pm:
I have encountered more made-up "engineering" expertise in the firearms field than anywhere else.

While the ultimate tensile strength is lower, 12L14 has the same 60k+psi yield strength as 4130/4140.

I think you are taking the 4130/40 numbers from the steel in the annealed state.

From a completely different venue I have recently learned that some steels can display different yield and tensile depending on whether the stress is applied parallel to the direction of rolling, or across it.  I'm wondering if the 1134 and "L" steels fall in this category.  If so, the hoop strength of a barrel might be compromised.   

Still looking for a link to that "metallurgist letter".

<div class=

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #23 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Jan 17th, 2016 at 7:35pm:

From a discussion on, American Long Rifles Forums, Dated July 2010

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

To quote LaSalle:
. . .The impact energy, as measured by the Charpy test, is given as a function of the test temperature . At low temperatures, the impact energy was found to be very low, less than 5 ft-lb (6.8 Joules), and the transition temperature . . . higher than 70°F (21.1°C)   
Translation: this steel, as do  others, becomes brittle from cold.  “Cold” to 12L14   is room temperature.

It should be understood that LA-LED® has low impact properties with wide scatter as measured by the Charpy test, and users should be aware of this fact. . . if impact or shock loading is anticipated, particularly at low ambient temperatures (i.e., an American’s idea of room temperature, or below) this aspect of design and material selection should be considered . . . 

LA-LED is LaSalle's trade name for 12L14.

I can also look up the barrel failures that I read about in the 80's in my Muzzle Blast magazines.

I have no issues about using 12L14 for 22rf but, if I had one of these barrels in CF, I would for sure send it to Joe Smiley

Frank

I was hoping someone would bring up the effects of repetitive hammering and impact resistance.

In the cannon world, mild steel (as 1018) revolutionized the world of artillery in the 1870's.  It could handle it, where cast could not.

The Charpy test is one that I look to determine suitability for ballistic use.

One clue that 12L14 is marginal (ok for .22 rim fires) is the very feature that machinists love it.  The chip rolls easily and cracks allowing easy smooth removal of the stock.  It is that feature that makes it risky for high-pressure use.  Over time and repetition it hardens and cracks.  The first indication of failure is often catastrophic.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #24 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 9:33am
Print Post  
Don't mix those old soft steel barrels with modern leaded or sulfurized steels they are not the same thing. Pope Zischang and Schoyen didn’t leaded steels. Screw machine steels are made to have a short chip and do not have the hoop strength that the older soft steels had they are both softer and more brittle than other steels. A few of the screw machine steel barrels have come apart over the years because of minute fractures that grew over time. Shooting in cold weather can start or acerbate the fracturing. I have a heavy barreled .32 Ballard that i suspect is made from screw machine steel. I shoot it occasionally but never in cold weather. I know why some of the barrel makers used it. It gave a very short chip and a good finish that unfortunately doesn’t mean it has good strength properties.

40 Rod

IP Logged

argie1891
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
I am not an expert but I think the correct answer is to use rifle as it was intended by the manufacturer. if it was made for black powder cartridge shooting then use it for that purpose. by that I mean that pressure level not that black powder is the only powder usable it. that said there are a lot of 22 rim fire barrels that have been and are still being used for cartridges like the 22 hornet, 218 bee etc. and I haven't heard of any problem with them. sometime I think we have a tendency to spend more time worrying about the things we have no control over and not enough time at the range shooting these nice old rifles. for me it is easy as I don't like more recoil than necessary I shoot low pressure loads. I just need enough power to get to the target and  go through both sides a sheet of paper

if you think you have it figured out  then you just dont understand

IP Logged

Rick4070
Participating Member

Reply #26 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
When I worked for Jim Wisner quite a few years ago, we got a letter from Pacific Steel, in Portland advising gunsmiths, barrel makers, etc. NOT to use 1144 Stress Proof for barrels, as they were getting reports of catastrophic failures in centerfire rifle barrels
IIRC, it had to do to the sulfur content.

I know one of Jims barrels he was making, tapered octagon, integral quarter rib,integral front sight, integral barrel swivel  band, etc. went into the scrap barrel because the blank was made out of 1144.

Perhaps Pacific Steel still has info on that particular steel.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Rick4070 wrote on Jan 18th, 2016 at 4:28pm:
When I worked for Jim Wisner quite a few years ago, we got a letter from Pacific Steel, in Portland advising gunsmiths, barrel makers, etc. NOT to use 1144 Stress Proof for barrels, as they were getting reports of catastrophic failures in centerfire rifle barrels
IIRC, it had to do to the sulfur content.

I know one of Jims barrels he was making, tapered octagon, integral quarter rib,integral front sight, integral barrel swivel  band, etc. went into the scrap barrel because the blank was made out of 1144.

Perhaps Pacific Steel still has info on that particular steel.

Did that have some tie in with reported instances of barrel splitting problems that had occurred when the muzzles of the barrels were being magnaported?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Rick4070
Participating Member

Reply #28 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I don't recall Magnaporting being mentioned by the steel company, just to discontinue the use for barrels.

We used it for the three position safeties Wisner use to make, and never had any problems with it.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
How long ago was that? 

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3