Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 44 1/2 two stage trigger (Read 5214 times)
wayne w
Ex Member

Stevens 44 1/2 two stage trigger
Dec 27th, 2015 at 1:27am
Print Post  
I have what looks like it is a two stage trigger in a Stevens 44 1/2. Did not drag anything up when looking on the web. Does anybody know for sure what this trigger is?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Thanks

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 1/2 two stage trigger
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 2:31am
Print Post  
I believe that you have the Stevens single-set trigger in your rifle.  The screw through the top of he trigger should adjust the depth of engagement of the secondary sear, and once that is adjusted properly, pushing the trigger forward ought to "set" it to a fairly light pull.

IP Logged

ten-mile

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Yours is the single set trigger.  I have one on my 32-40.  Some say they are problematic but mine works just fine.  They don't seem to be very common.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Great pictures, by the way! Smiley

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Yep, a Stevens single-set trigger... and looks like a couple of the parts were replaced.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

wayne w
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Had a patch job done on the top of the pin hole in the trigger.

left side of trigger

ten-mile or anybody, do you have pictures of a working single set trigger? If this is a single set there must be some parts missing.

Right now the screw in the trigger limits how much the trigger will swing forward on the pin. The front of the screw rests against the front of the opening in the tang for the trigger.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Right now the screw in the trigger limits how much the trigger will swing forward on the pin. The front of the screw rests against the front of the opening in the tang for the trigger.

That's what it does, though the tip of the screw on the Stevens single-sets I've encountered had a radiused nose instead of square as shown in your pics.
As you turn the screw clockwise, the trigger rotates rearward, toward the point of release.
Look closely at the last two pics of your original post, and imagine how the nose of the sear moves as you turn the screw inward.
The spring that mounts forward of the trigger and sear definitely looks home-made.
There were a couple hand-drawings of the Stevens single-set parts posted on this forum a long time ago. Don't know if they can be found using the forum Search feature.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

wayne w
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
I think I found the drawings you are talking about and it does look like the trigger and sear in my 44 1/2.

But unless something is out of spec on my trigger I do not see this working as a set trigger. From the way my trigger works this set up only lets the sear move independent of the trigger when the hammer is cocked. When the trigger is pulled it makes contact with the tail of the sear and from there they move as one solid piece like the standard trigger. I don't see how this would lighten the trigger pull as everything is still rotating around the same pin as the standard trigger.

I can see that if the screw at the top of the trigger was screwed in far enough it could change the amount of sear engagement.
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2015 at 8:40pm by »  

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Yep, those are the drawings.
Problem is, the front spring is wrong in those drawings too.

The front spring as made by Stevens was stiff and cut to form a triangular shaped tip, and imparted an over-center motion to the trigger, which rapidly moved the sear out of the hammer notch.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Seems there was possibly an article written for the Single Shot Journal years ago? At least this post refers to one that was close to being published there:

IP Logged

wayne w
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
OK so it needs a different spring to do anything special.

Took a few more pictures showing the trigger at rest and how far it had to travel to make contact with the sear.

Now to find a picture of the correct spring. Anyone?

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
wayne,

Question arises that, after having made the homemade spring, did a previous owner alter the contact surfaces on the other parts to try to get it to work?

In the first picture shown in your reply #5, do you see some filing marks on the righthand rear flat of the trigger?

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

wayne w
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Yes I see the shiny patch. Looking at the drawings and the 5th photo in the original post they seem to match. So it may be best thing to do is just get the sears touched up and live with it. The trigger pull right now is a bit stiff but it breaks clean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint