Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Chickens! (Read 9604 times)
JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Chickens!
Dec 12th, 2015 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
We had an informal 22 rf silhouette (some Frenchman must have come up with that spelling, I had to look it up!) shoot today.  I was using my new CPA and MVA B5 scope.  I missed the first ram at 200 yds then cleaned up on rest of the rams, the pigs, and the turkeys.  Then came the chickens.  I hit one out of the five.  Has any one else developed as strong a dislike as I have for those damn yardbirds?

JS

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Re: Chickens!
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2015 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Chickens are tough!

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 7:26am
Print Post  
Chickens are what separate the men from the boys in silhouette shooting in both .22BPCR & BPCR. Here is a regulation .22BPCR chicken, which is shot off-hand at 50m. Brian Chilson, one of two folks in all the years of BPCR competition who has shot a "clean" 40/40, holds the record for the most chickens at 11 (he has also hit 10, which was his previous record) and numerous other BPCR records and national championships and is arguably the best 'chicken shooter' of all time. Brian earns it as he is practicing and dry-firing at chickens all the time (Brian once told me he shoots ~22,000rds a season - about half .22LR & half BP). Practice makes perfect. Want to beat Brian? Better practice like he does

As Dave mentions and Brian also states, we tend to drop the muzzle when we pull the trigger in off-hand (in our off-hand match yesterday I must have hit the rail 5 times in 40 shots). BrianC centers up on the back edge of the chicken. Seems to work for him.
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2015 at 5:16pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
I would like to have a inverted post for silhouette.  I think it would allow for a much better sight picture in that I could define a break from the top of the animal and the post above it's back.  When I try to hold a post on the feet, it often blends in with the stand.
I think this would work better than an aperture sight.  The only one I'm not sure of is the turkey.

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
     I have experimented with an upside-down post at BPCS, and find that it is seriously counter-intuitive.    After 60 years of holding the post UNDER the target, it is hard to get the hand-eye coordination to work to put the post on TOP of the target.   It is easy to think it might be better than under, because of interference of the sight picture by the rail, but it is going to take a lot of work to get comfortable with the unfamiliar sight picture.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
In the .22 or big bore BPCR Silhouette game, the match is won and lost on the chicken line since you should expect that you must clean all the other targets. The recipe for chicken success is practice and more practice. I've watched Brian Chilson shoot them many times, he is a chicken shooting machine - incredible focus, concentration and technique. He's one of the very few shooters who can miss an animal off the sticks and make up for it on the chickens.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Dave - check me on this (Dave is on the .22BPCR board), but I think the record for .22BPCR chickens is 9. Standing there looking through aperture sights at 50m those suckers are pretty small (that's why I shoot a scope Wink).

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 5:10pm
Print Post  

Chickens make the match that's for sure.

Dave at Distant Thunder will make any front sight insert you want. But like Chris said it's hard to change from something you have been looking at for years.

Two camps on front sights Aperture and Post. I struggle to get good sharp front sight focus with small Post and bead. Aperture is much easier to see, had Jim make one up for me large enough to get the whole animal in. But proof on paper targets I shoot smaller groups with the post and bead. It's just more precise. Problem with it if my eye goes fuzzy from looking too long misses over the critters back due to the indistinct top, throw the shot up because I am aiming with the sharp body not the fuzzy part

So go with larger groups and a percentage of edge misses or smaller groups with misses over the back when the front gets fuzzy. Who knows. Be easier if we were younger. I am sticking with the post and bead because I am mostly shooting Lever Silhouette were aperture is not allowed.  It's near impossible to train your mind to pull the trigger with one sight picture one gun and another with a different gun

Boats

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 12:45am
Print Post  
It is easier when you are young  Grin  I shot small bore silhouettes exclusively with an aperture back in the day.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Don't tell BrianC. Along with winning the iron-sight nationals (as a Sr) he was 2nd in scope and set at least two new nat'l records in 2015. On top of it all he is the first one to help at matches and always has time to answer our stupid questions. Go Brian.

GTalk  
IP Logged

sharps
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 11:56am
Print Post  
have had some luck using a horizontal split post for offhand targets that aren't round, also lee shaver use to make  'animal specific'? frt sight inserts for silhoullete shooting,  good luck

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Dec 14th, 2015 at 8:47am:
Don't tell BrianC. Along with winning the iron-sight nationals (as a Sr) he was 2nd in scope and set at least two new nat'l records in 2015. On top of it all he is the first one to help at matches and always has time to answer our stupid questions. Go Brian.

I have never met him, but it sounds like he was blessed with permanent eye sight  Grin  and one of those rare really nice world class champions.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

CaryT

Reply #12 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
I have shot next to Brian at Nationals and everyone here is right, he is a stand up Guy and always willing to help me when I asked questions. Much can be learned from watching him. 
He also is the first to congratulate you when you have taken his thunder.

It is no secret, "good" practice and lots of it are the 'secret', but that's no secret.   
Since my retirement I have spent more time on the 100yd 22 chicken  range (I'm lucky, it's in my back 'forty') and I have improved my shooting to the point I win a few matches now and again.  I do not shoot as many rounds as Brian, but I probably shoot between 2k, 3k rounds of 22  a year at chickens and 500+ rounds of BPCR.  It has made a difference.
I would say I average 1500+ rounds of BPCR a year and another 5k rounds of 22.  Besides being fun,,,,it makes ya better.

They say silhouette matches are won at the chicken line and lost at the turkey line.  True statement I believe, so get good at both of these and you will see the results.

The silhouette game is not an easy one.  You must be more then proficient at 2 types of shooting, (prone and offhand) and both require good techniques and lots of practice.   
Having a good spotter is paramount and having a gun/load that will shoot 1moa helps.   

So, Shoot straight and get out and practice!
Cary   Wink

IP Logged

ALPHAWOLF45

Reply #13 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 5:59pm
Print Post  

As Dave mentions and Brian also states, we tend to drop the muzzle when we pull the trigger in off-hand (in our off-hand match yesterday I must have hit the rail 5 times in 40 shots). BrianC centers up on the back edge of the chicken. Seems to work for him. [/quote]

I have to comment on this.. We do not drop the muzzle when we pull the trigger. The muzzle is driven downwards when the hammer strikes the frame. Certainly the sights should be aligned for a high shot so that it still hits when/if muzzle drops ...I dryfire thousands of shots every week and watch the sights every time the hammer drops....It don't happen every time but often enough to take it into consideration when finding your zeros.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
ALPHAWOLF45 wrote on Dec 21st, 2015 at 5:59pm:

As Dave mentions and Brian also states, we tend to drop the muzzle when we pull the trigger in off-hand (in our off-hand match yesterday I must have hit the rail 5 times in 40 shots). BrianC centers up on the back edge of the chicken. Seems to work for him.

ALPHAWOLF45 wrote on Dec 21st, 2015 at 5:59pm:
I have to comment on this.. We do not drop the muzzle when we pull the trigger. The muzzle is driven downwards when the hammer strikes the frame. Certainly the sights should be aligned for a high shot so that it still hits when/if muzzle drops ...I dryfire thousands of shots every week and watch the sights every time the hammer drops....It don't happen every time but often enough to take it into consideration when finding your zeros.

Well.... considering how many local, state, regional & national match wins & records BrianC owns and how many you have, I'll stick with what BrianC says. Wink

Now that I've given it more thought (answered too quickly) I'll ask Brian and see what he thinks about the hammer fall effect. He did change from an 1874 to a High Wall around the turn-of-the-century and I know he did so based partially on lock-time, but don't recall his mentioning the effect of hammer fall. Be interesting to get his take. Makes me wonder how many of the consistently good chicken shooters shoot an 1874?
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2015 at 7:33am by SSShooter »  

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint