Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Chickens! (Read 9594 times)
jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Chickens!
Reply #15 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Probably a bit different for every shooter.  I do know that for me, in the last 15 or 20 shots of a 100 shot offhand match, I tend to drop the muzzle just from fatigue!  What works for Brian may not work for everyone.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

CaryT

Reply #16 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Wow! Undecided

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Dec 21st, 2015 at 6:20pm:
My Miller Dehass is an inline striker and it does not fall; however the heavy strike of the hammer on my 1874 Shiloh Sharps drops the shot for me every time.

The Sharps hammer drops 30 degrees below vertical when it hits; resulting in a downward inertia on your rifle.

Also the Sharps hammer spring is heavier than the hammer springs on my CPA Stevens 44 1/2 or 1885 Winchester HighWall.

May be how the shooter shoots; but I believe it is more dependent on the type of rifle being shot.

Back in the 90s when I was shooting a lot of offhand, I could call my shots with pin point accuracy.  If I said 22 @ 4, Ol' Shelton would say 22 @ 4:30 +/- half a bullet diameter  Smiley  I concluded shooting a striker action was 1/2 point a shot advantage over Ballard with a hammer.  For me, it was rigger control and probably a little bit of lock time.  I don't believe mechanics of the rifle affected it any more than that.   

I never practiced enough to get really good and shoot over 220 consistently, this is for fun, not work  Cheesy  I never shot a Sharps with a big heavy hammer, but I did Huh shoot a lot of flintlock and could put 54 caliber round balls through a 2" diameter hole all day long @ 50 yds offhand.  YMMV  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
i think the problem is most of us build a prone gun and try to shoot it off hand.  we should build a lite caliber offhand gun and shoot it prone   art

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint