Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My idea for a new/old SS Rifle: (Read 15587 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: My idea for a new/old SS Rifle:
Reply #30 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Nov 23rd, 2015 at 2:19pm:

W/o something like the old Coors Matches, the demand will never return. 

A combination of a large MAJOR sponsor and a promotor of the caliber of John Amber could and would but our beloved rifles, right back in the forefront of shooting. A major math should also be held near a large population center.

ISSA and ASSRA, together are the only ones that can do it. They can still keep there identity in doing so, kind of like the American and National League.

Frank

Even with a major sponsor, waning disposable income in the middle class is a formidable obstacle.   

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Most people can still pop $3000, it's only $430 in dog dollars Smiley

I haven't seen a lack of RV type vechicles or cars being sold. Just one quad would leave $ to spare for a SS.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Salvo I understand what you are saying.  But to be honest I'm glad that single shot rifles are the domain of craftsmen.  If modern mass manufacturing techniques were used then likely manufacturing would be done in a modern place like China as it would likely be the easiest way to keep costs down.

I am more than happy to buy stuff from CPA, Shiloh, C. Sharps, and various custom gunsmiths.  I think the craftsmanship of these rifles is at least half of what attracts me to them.  If they were built by the guys that mass manufacture bolt guns then they'd have no soul Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Nov 23rd, 2015 at 7:22pm:
Most people can still pop $3000, it's only $430 in dog dollars Smiley

I haven't seen a lack of RV type vechicles or cars being sold. Just one quad would leave $ to spare for a SS.

Frank

Yeah, but they don't seem to be coming to the matches and the attendance at Raton has never recovered from the 2008 Great Recession  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Nov 24th, 2015 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
People can still do what they want to do. Make it desirable to come to (as in the days of Coors) and you'll have more in attendance than there are benches for 2 relays.

It still need to be near a population center, maybe make Raton and EG qualifing matches.

If gas prices stay low into next Aug, I'll even be able to make it to both Spokane and Raton and that's really saying something on my income.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Nov 30th, 2015 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Salvo wrote on Nov 15th, 2015 at 10:47am:
I'd like to see a quality small-frame falling-block rifle that sold for under $800.00 - In particular, I'd like to see one of the old Stevens designs brought back.

Something that would handle rim-fires, and center-fire rifle cartridges up to maybe 250 Savage or so, plus most pistol cartridges. - I would particularly like to see 5.7x28 as an available chambering.

More difficult to achieve than the above but still do-able would be something like the above, but with interchangeable barrels. To do this, the extractor mechanism would have to be part of the barrel, as it is with the T/C single-shots.

Does this sound like it may be possible? 

The current Winchester low-walls currently marketed only for rim-fires are nice - but they are over-priced to the point of being ludicrous.

Single-shot aficionados need a break!   Cry

In Campbell's Volume II Single-Shot book, there's an interesting tidbit found on the beginning page (p239) of Chapter 9 about the manufacture of the single-shot rifle...

Edwin Pugsley of the Winchester Repeating Arms Company is quoted as having said "In manufacturing an arm, it is necessary to set up and run several thousand at one time. In the early days, when we had only a few models, we seldom considered setting up for less than a run of 10,000 guns."

Based on the above, once you've got all your ideas consolidated into a finalized design, and have also obtained firm commitments to purchase 9,999 other identical rifles along with the one rifle you want, you could approach a large manufacturer to discuss the possibility of a great big group-buy.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Nov 30th, 2015 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
frnkeore
You raise an interesting point about a suitable range located near a population center. Do you have a suggestion about such a range?
Several years ago, I spent a considerable amount of time unsuccessfully trying to find a suitable range near a population center more or less centrally located in the U.S. 
The geographical center of the contiguous 48 states is located about two miles west north west of Lebanon, Kansas. The population centers within 200 miles (more or less) are Kansas City, MO and Denver, CO.
A discussion about a range suitable for a joint ASSRA/ISSA match would certainly make for an interesting new thread on this board.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2015 at 9:34am by RSW »  

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Randy,
I'm opening a thread under General Discusions.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint