Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My idea for a new/old SS Rifle: (Read 15585 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: My idea for a new/old SS Rifle:
Reply #15 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:
- In particular, I'd like to see one of the old Stevens designs brought back.

In particular, they, whomever they may be, did in fact bring back the Stevens (Savage Arms) Model No. 30.  Did you not get the memo that was sent around?

Anyway, you can read about the Stevens Favorite Model 30 here:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Wink

Did they, in fact, bring back the Stevens Favorite when the Model No. 30 (and 71) were produced, or were these reproductions just pale shadows of their former incarnations?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Salvo
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
I also specified an 800 or under price, and would like interchangeable barrels.

If it *Looked roughly like* an older Stevens design, that would be nice, but that is far from being the primary criteria.

All of the information is in the original post.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Reminds me of the Ruger No 3- intended to be a lower buck SS. But apparently not good enough sales, so it was discontinued....  Wrong calibers?  or what?
Darn, should have had a better designed ( PG) stock, tho...
The No 3 ,cal 45-70 -recoil was brutal ( so I sold mine)
Love my 375 win and 22 Hornet No 3s...
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Nov 16th, 2015 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
There was a thread on the accurate reloading forum regarding making up new martini actions but in a slightly bigger size but smaller than the 577/450 caliber ones. No costs were mentioned as the poster was trying to get an idea of what kind of market was out there. Haven't heard anything regarding wether this will come out or not. If someone did a larger than cadet size with thicker sidewalls and larger barrel tennon most likely would be someone with a well equipped machine shop done as a one off. Some of the members here have amazed me with their machining skills when they make the complete rifle almost from bar stock. Labor of is what I call it. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 6:15am
Print Post  
You could actually get most done with a small martini action, although the switch barrel would be harder.  But if you don't go too fancy, getting a finished rifle built for 800,- or pretty close seems  feasible.  Which is why new Martini actions won't be there for quite some time - the existing ones are still too 'cheap'...

IP Logged

MG-42
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Interesting conversation. I would love to make a single shot for sale however, with that said there is no money in it for a commercial project. By the time I spend the money for design, tooling, insurance,marketing and all the other costs that go into making a small arm I could not sell it at the 800 range. Nice thought just not possible.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Nov 17th, 2015 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
If it were a get rich quick scheme, I'm sure Meacham would still be making HiWalls.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #22 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Quality is like oats.  If you want quality oats, you got to pay the price.  Now, if you can be satisfied with oats that have been run through the mule, you can get them a hell of a lot cheaper.  Grin

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

57thahc

Reply #23 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 10:37am
Print Post  
IF WISHES WERE HORSES,WE WOULD BEEN BELLY DEEP IN MANURE! Looking for affordable SS,New,tack drivers, plain but with a few extras thrown in, the whole rainbow of calibers,high quality,forged not cast,
be able to be modified,too what ever U want it to BE.
Not jumping down the throat of first questioner! I have been looking for answers,to this question! What will $800.00 buy you now? Any purchases are high in Dollars,but not quality. The SS gun makers have ALL suffered in the last decade,closed doors,limited products,longer wait times. Are we SS shooters at fault,we did not buy in volume what was offered. I personnally discussed with the President of Ballard of Michigan, BOY I WOULD LIKE TO BUY ONE OF THE FINE RIFLES BEING PRODUCED BY YOUR COMPANY.I just wasn't able to spend the $3000.00 for abase model (a fine rifle-worth the price) I bought parts to finish some of my old Ballards,not enough to keep them in business.  Sad My experiences with Ballard of MI. ,Falling Block Works and The Rifle shop of OKLA.
I don't think these folks go south for the winter.CAN CUN etc.almost a labor of love ,but you got to pay the ELECTRIC CO,ins.heat ,OH yes labor. Sad 57thahc my 2 cts

Turned in my M60 for a Martini!

IP Logged

PetahW

Reply #24 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Salvo wrote on Nov 15th, 2015 at 10:47am:

I'd like to see a quality small-frame falling-block rifle that sold for under $800.00 - In particular, I'd like to see one of the old Stevens designs brought back.

IIRC, only the Stevens 44-1/2 was a falling block, the remainder being either tip-ups or swinging blocks (breechblock pivot located ahead of the rear of the chamber).

Neither Frank DeHaas, nor I (FWIW), think that the Stevens swinging block actions are viable for cartridges anywhere near as strong as the .250 Savage, etc.

FWIW, this week, (at a reasonable price) I acquired a very nice NIB Stevens (Savage) Model 71 Favorite from 1971, that looks to be a nice little shooter for my youngest Grandson.

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2015 at 11:02pm by PetahW »  

IP Logged

Salvo
Participating Member

Reply #25 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
I would say that SS rifle makers are busily pricing themselves right out of existence - but I do not believe that greed is the issue here, really it's just some strange reluctance to apply modern manufacturing methods.

Doing it the old tried and true way... Yep, it's going to be mighty expensive.

As far as I can tell, not even Ruger has really explored a modern design that takes advantage of all of the latest manufacturing processes. Some, but not all, and that's what it is going to take.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
A friend of mine bought (used) one of those programmable 5-axis machining centers for about ten cents on the dollar, got it fixed up and programmed it to make an old time single shot rifle action design.  This would never appeal to a mass market, as the extraction was typical of the vintage guns, not up to high intensity modern cartridges, and it would not handle rimless cartridges easily.  There would thus be no economy via quantity production by appealing to the everyday gun buyer.

He found he still had to outsource some EDM work as it would be too cumbersome to set his machine up for cutting the parts.  He had the trigger guards cast, by an outside foundry, as it would, again, take too much programming work and tie up his machine pointlessly for something that could be made more economically by other methods.

Last I saw, he had made maybe 7 or 8 completed actions, in the course of testing out small modifications towards the final design, from which he had made 3 rifles.  He had sold (I think) one of the earliest versions of his design to an importunate correspondent.  He had most of the parts in various unfinished states for maybe five more actions.

He found it impossible to set a price on these actions, which were in the white, needing final polishing and bluing or casehardening.  And, of course, being made into rifles.  Adding up his costs for equipment amortization, fixtures and tooling, programming, designing, research, materials, supplies, subcontracting and "thinking time" was more work for him than actually producing the action, and, more to the point, no fun.

I would say from my occasional visits to his shop that it would be uneconomical to price the actions alone at much under $3K a pop.  I watched him try to make a part once.  He bolted a piece of metal to the machine table, closed the doors and pushed a button.  Liquid sprayed in the compartment, the table lurched back and forth, in and out, the tool head plucked tools off the lazy Susan tool holder and chips flew.  And then it stopped.  Some kind of "bug" in the programming and the part was half done.  I left him in peace and quiet to sort it out.

I don't know how much more "modern" such manufacturing could get, or how much lower the overhead.  The guy is retired on a pension and doesn't need the money (or the hassle).  Maybe when 3-D printers that use molten metal and wood get as cheap as personal computers, we can all make our own.  Otherwise, I don't see it happening.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Most businesses don't last a year. I think one needs to be weaned off a weekly paycheck for a few years to really appreciate the situation.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
A lot of these types of businesses start out as hobby shops.
If they haven't been able to prove that there is a large enough customer base to keep paying ALL the expenses for at least a few years, it will either remain a hobby shop, or disappear.

Simple fact is, our sport is an extremely small segment hobby, and generates primarily a small segment demand for a very few "standardized" products, or a bunch of intermittent one-offs.

If it was economically viable to produce "the product", someone the resources to produce it would likely have recognized the opportunity and already be producing it.
But they aren't, and that should tell us something, shouldn't it?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Nov 23rd, 2015 at 2:00pm:
A lot of these types of businesses start out as hobby shops.
If they haven't been able to prove that there is a large enough customer base to keep paying ALL the expenses for at least a few years, it will either remain a hobby shop, or disappear.

Simple fact is, our sport is an extremely small segment hobby, and generates primarily a small segment demand for a very few "standardized" products, or a bunch of intermittent one-offs.

If it was economically viable to produce "the product", someone the resources to produce it would likely have recognized the opportunity and already be producing it.
But they aren't, and that should tell us something, shouldn't it?

And that is the REAL problem Sad

W/o something like the old Coors Matches, the demand will never return. 

A combination of a large MAJOR sponsor and a promotor of the caliber of John Amber could and would but our beloved rifles, right back in the forefront of shooting. A major math should also be held near a large population center.

ISSA and ASSRA, together are the only ones that can do it. They can still keep there identity in doing so, kind of like the American and National League.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint