Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Scope Choice (Read 13868 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Scope Choice
Reply #30 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Well put

Boats

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Big objectives look out of place on old rifles.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
portside wrote on Nov 23rd, 2015 at 10:31am:
I guess I don't understand why guys invest so much in the old time type single shot rifles and their loading techniques and so on then put the most modern scope they can find on said rifle . Kind of like saying, I am really into primitive camping but, not without cable TV and air conditioning. In other words it sounds like many single shot shooters like the old rifles but, all of that is out the window when winning matches is all they are really interested in!

Dave

That is a good question and of course can be dealt with very easily by rule changes but, I'm sure that it would open a very large can of worms!

I started this sport at a good time (1985) for this issue and I had no preconceived ideas about it other than I wanted to buy and shoot single shots. Had there been scope rules, I would have easily complied with them.

Modern scopes were reasonably priced and external scopes were CHEAP. Most serious competitors used modern scopes in those days and the externals were used by collector/shooters. I didn't want a external, they were to big, to bulking and to fragile looking. I reget my mind set now Sad

A simple rule change for this basic type of scope would be a minimum scope length or a maxium scope, body diameter.

I can't see where there would be a cost factor, I would be very suprized if the people that are using the most modern, large ojective lens scopes, don't have at least one scope of STS quality or better.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #33 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
I guess I don't understand why guys invest so much in the old time type single shot rifles and their loading techniques and so on then put the most modern scope they can find on said rifle . Kind of like saying, I am really into primitive camping but, not without cable TV and air conditioning. In other words it sounds like many single shot shooters like the old rifles but, all of that is out the window when winning matches is all they are really interested in!

Dave

Yup.  Agree.
Try and find a "iron sights only" match.  There are a FEW.  Most folks give in and get the $$ scopes.
[end of rant]

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Nov 24th, 2015 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Major Cat Whisperer
If you like iron sight only matches I invite you to attend the ISSA International Schuetzenfest this coming August at the NRA Whittington Center just outside Raton, NM. Our 4 main programmed matches are half iron sight and half scope (any sight). Plan B might be to attend one of our regional matches which offer the same basic course of fire but fewer shots per match.
We also have Open and Traditional classes for rifles (those classes address the modern vs older external adjustment scope issues). Except for not allowing shooting coats for offhand, our rules are virtually identical to ASSRA rules.
We are finalizing our 2016 match schedule now and I will have it posted on the ISSA web site before the end of the year.
Come, take a look at the ISSA web site: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
From a former lowly 1LT

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Nov 24th, 2015 at 10:04pm
Print Post  

Dave

It is about higher scores.  The BP cartridge matches started more traditional but progressed.  Nobody wants to shoot a 10 pound rifle, 3# trigger, without artificial support, or use a windgage front sight  Cry   12 pound rifles, set triggers, prone crossed sticks and soule sights get better scores  Grin

As for Iron Sight Matches, the ISSA German rifle match is irons only.  If you can see iron sights they are not at a disadvantage to scopes.  We have quite a few guys that shoot irons in some any sight matches at Tacoma. I shot the 100 shot offhand with irons until I was forced to scopes by eye issues.   

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint