Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Scope Choice (Read 13877 times)
svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Scope Choice
Reply #15 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks 40_rod!

I will keep those in mind. Biggest potential problem is the really small/thin reticles, as well as light transmission/brightness of 20X+ magnifications. Catarakt removal and new lens from both eyes may remove those concerns, but I will not know for some months.

Grisen

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
If you have cataracts, you will probably be amazed.  Most people suffered the deterioration over a period of many years. I went from crystal clear to not being able to tell if the green light was on at traffic signals in a single year. The surgery and implants are fantastic  Smiley

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester,

I am sure hoping to be amazed!! 

My transition has not been so fast as yours. Mostly mine was a series of step-wise degradations in my ability to see sights and targets.

I have been shooting for last 10+ years with what has apparently been catarakts, but other major players are present. Recent I lost the last little place in my right eye where I could more or less clearly, accurately align front sight through tang peep. Even shooting from bench with scope has taken major hits.

IF catarakt operation does not provide enough good eyesight, next option is sighting system that blind biathelon shooters use. That should work for Schuetzen too!! Right??

Grisen

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Eval meeting for catarakt operations is 09 December 2015. Presume operation(s) a month or three later. 

I have not gotten to "legally blind" yet, but, last time I got driver's liscense I had to show up personally. They wanted to know if I could "Walk and talk."  First test was eyes. I was told to put right eye up to machine and they said "" Uh, lets check your left eye." Then it was hearing -- "Please speak clearing into my right ear." Then it was language check -- "Do you speak English?" "Yes, do you speak Swedish or Norwegian?" I did get my driver's renewed.

Getting old can be a whole new bunch of stuff!

Grisen

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
My eyes went rather quick, except the usual degradation of time, and the sum of it all is my shooting went to heck. Worse, the things I love even more were harder to appreciate. Now, my eyes are back to 20/20, the kids are more beautiful than before, and lo!, my scopes are nearly perfect again. Even the cheap ones. 
Get those eyes done, for sure.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
calledflyer,

Thanks for additional report of good results! And perfect scopes again!! Mine now have buggered reticles -- be glad when then have perfect geometrical shapes again.

Grisen

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
"If wishes were horses beggars would ride". Not to slam anyone ...
Speaking of wishes ... if scope manufacturers would publish MTF's (modulation transfer
function) data we would have a quantitative way to evaluate optics.  Swarovski is the
only manufacturer to my knowledge that does, and probably only for binocs. MTF is essentially an evaluation of contrast. If there is no contrast you can't see it. Wink  Actually it defines bandwidth IIUC.
Since few of us have infinite funds to throw at optics the experience of the community
is really appreciated. Tnx. 

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 2:49pm:
Schuetzenmiester,

I am sure hoping to be amazed!! 

My transition has not been so fast as yours. Mostly mine was a series of step-wise degradations in my ability to see sights and targets.

I have been shooting for last 10+ years with what has apparently been catarakts, but other major players are present. Recent I lost the last little place in my right eye where I could more or less clearly, accurately align front sight through tang peep. Even shooting from bench with scope has taken major hits.

IF catarakt operation does not provide enough good eyesight, next option is sighting system that blind biathelon shooters use. That should work for Schuetzen too!! Right??

Grisen

I had early on set cataracts in my mid 40s.  Usually thick, heavy and fast growing.  What most guys experience over 10 to 15 years, I had over and done with in one year.

Not only were the cataracts gone, but I was legally blind if not correctable like Dave was.  Smiley I had a double improvement.  No specs required to find my specs any more  Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Grisen 

Two brands dominate Silhouette Leupold and at less cost new model imported Weaver T series.  You rarely see anything else.  Of course Silhouette is not Schuetzen primary difference is weight limit on Silhoutte rifles rules out some of the new "Name" high dollar scopes. Most big and heavy.

One thing to think about is resolution and low light ability. Formal rifle range daytime match light gathering is not a big issue. I have two old US made Weaver T scopes, known to be one of the best repeaters and parallax adjusters. Not water or fog proof low light not all that good. Makes no difference on the target range.

Used old Weaver Ts are not all that expensive, however most are 40 plus years old repair is not easy.   Used Leupold repair is under warranty free and fast.

Side note my cataract surgery 10 years ago very successful able to shoot iron sights again 

Boats

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Here is my latest scope choice. Redfield 3200 16X for 100 yard shooting.

It's my first 3200 (my Bday present this year from my wife) and I have yet to sight it in. So, any pro's or con's on 3200's? A couple of friends have and like them, that's all I know.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
And what about Unertl Vulture scopes with external adjustments?

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Frank always wanted to try a 3200 keep us posted.

Unertl Vulture ought to be a fine scope. Mount and adjustments same as any other  Unertl.

I don't think the Vulture was made in high power though.

Boats

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
The Vulture was available in 8 or 10X with internal, target or dehorned adjustments. They sold for a skosh less than $100 in 1962. I have a 10X internal on a B78 22-250 and it compliments the rifle nicely.

The 1 1/2" target was $105!

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 12:08am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Nov 22nd, 2015 at 3:13pm:
Here is my latest scope choice. Redfield 3200 16X for 100 yard shooting.

It's my first 3200 (my Bday present this year from my wife) and I have yet to sight it in. So, any pro's or con's on 3200's? A couple of friends have and like them, that's all I know.

Frank

I shot one for years on a Ballard offhand rifle.  No complaints from me.   

IP Logged

portside

Reply #29 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 10:31am
Print Post  
I guess I don't understand why guys invest so much in the old time type single shot rifles and their loading techniques and so on then put the most modern scope they can find on said rifle . Kind of like saying, I am really into primitive camping but, not without cable TV and air conditioning. In other words it sounds like many single shot shooters like the old rifles but, all of that is out the window when winning matches is all they are really interested in!

Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint