Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Scope Choice (Read 13849 times)
Jubilado

Scope Choice
Nov 14th, 2015 at 10:03am
Print Post  
For Schuetzen benchrest, setting aside consideration for aesthetics and tradition, from a purely functional shootabilty standpoint which is preferred, a modern scope or a Unertl or similar scope with external adjustments?  What power?

My own experience with optics is that there is a large personal, subjective factor, but I'd still like to hear what others think, and learn if there is any trend in preferences.

Paul

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Re: Scope Choice
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 10:10am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Like the 36x for either 100 22 or 200 yd centerfire.  45 for 200 CF.

1/8th min dot in both.

IP Logged

Oldman1950

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Hands down a 2 1/2 Mitchell in 24 or 32 powder. The resolution is second to none. Much better than almost all spotting scopes. With 1/4" external clicks and fine X hairs there is no second guessing to where the rifle is aimed. The only drawback to the Mitchell's is the size of them but off the bench this isn't a problem.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Everyone has their own preferences, but the 1 to 1.17 mm diameter exit pupil on those scopes in the links would give me concern.
Probably OK on a bright day, but low light or targets in the shade might present problems. Think most would prefer a lower magnification or a larger objective.
From a pure function standpoint the modern internal adjust scopes are probably better than the older external adjustment.
Chuck   

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
I have had no problem whatsoever in fog or ealy morning overcast light.
Plenty of light collected to see the printing on the targets.

I sold a 24X 2 1/2 Mitchell after I got my Sightron and Leopold.  Way easier to carry.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
I too am starting to think about suitable scope for benched Scheutzen, .22RF at 100M and CF at 200M. I have some constraints that could/will affect my choice. One is catarakts in both eyes presently and likely operations to remove them in early 2016 (type of replacement lens TBD). Another is retina issues that distort what I see through my present 4X and 6X scopes -- no hope to fix these. A third is offhand shooting by a shaky old guy -- alt solution is to skip offhand entirely.

Currently I am thinking that a Leupold FX3 12X40mm objective scope with Leupold's duplex reticle and target knobs would serve me well, providing more than adequate vision of Schuetzen targets, a reticle that I know I can use (using Leupolds with duplex reticles for almost 40 years and find them excellent for my eyes and all hunting situations), and still a scope I can use offhand.

One of Leupold's variable scopes might be an option, also a used Unertl with reticle that I can actually see on target, all lighting conditions.

Is currently TBD if scope would be mounted over barrel or on set of Steve Earlie's offset mounts. Calibers would be .22RF, std 32-20 & 40-50 in rifles weighing 7,0 to 11,5 lbs.

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Could you please explain about letting in a little more light on cloudy days as I have a 8x32 Signature scope and not sure what you mean. I generally dial this scope back to around 24 power when using. Thanks.

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that.
Had mine for a few years now and it hasn't got that, had to send it back to Burris once as it fogged up really bad. OK since.
When they returned it to me they got my name and address all wrong and after several weeks the NZ Post Office found it in the couldn't deliver bin.

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2015 at 8:01pm by Nero »  

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #8 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
I also have the Burris Signature 8x32 and use it at 32x off the bench.  Dial it back to 20x for offhand.  I set the twilight setting for the most light I could get when I got the scope and have never changed it since.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2015 at 8:49am
Print Post  
The scope I am using on my Benchrest rifles is a Mitchell 2” in 27X most Mitchells marked, as 24s are technically 27s. I shoot mine with a fine crosshair and a 1/8-minute dot. I like the 27 because it has what, to me, is the right power. That is I have enough power to shade my shots around the bull and can still shoot when others have stopped because of mirage. I shoot the Mitchell because I like an outside adjustable scope. I leave the return spring loose and return the scope to battery by hand. 
  If I were going to use a modern scope I would choose the Sightron or the Weaver T series these seem to give the biggest bang for the buck.

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2015 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Fact is internal and external adjustment scopes are built to the same basic design. Just internals adjustment mechanism is very small, and you can't see it. You are dependent on the manufacturers quality control, which means get a good one.

Personally I would rather see what's going on and more important have the chance to check adjustments with my dial indicator. Other factor that I can't prove but believe is shorter the scope harder it is to get good resolution. New short ones do it very well with coatings etc, but old long scopes no coatings at all often out resolve short internal adjustment scopes. One thing for sure Variable hinders resolution

Mitchell is surely the ultimate. I thought long and hard about one before buying my Parsons/Lyman 20x STS many years ago. If I could have found one of Mitchell's smaller scopes built for Small bore prone, was it the 1600 ?, would have bought it. Other Mitchell models too large for Offhand rifles.

But then you asked about Bench Scopes

Boats

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 1:53am
Print Post  
No issues testing the repeatability of an internal adjustment scope - it's jsut you need to shoot a few rounds to do it.  But checking adjustment repeatability is as easy as firing a a few rounds at different adjustmenrt settings, then coming back to the original and seeing if the shots will print in the same place...
Of course, it's too late by then, you have bought it already, so...   But the very same goes for an external adjustment scope too anyway.
For the same price, it probably is quite a bit easier to find a good modern scope.  Of course, the looks department is another issue.  But then again, beautiful  is as beautiful does.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 6:28am
Print Post  
Issue with internals repeatability is they adjust fine, then it hangs up and you shoot  with it out of adjustment not realizing it.

This shows up in Silhouette were you make large elevation changes every 10 shots.  However if shooting bench rest going to the sighter making wind adjustments then back to record target with stuck internal tube same thing off shots. Like 40 Rod said return the external to battery look at the micrometer confirm its right you can pay attention to what's important 

National silhouette championships you only see a couple brands of internal adjustment scopes for good reason.  Most Schuetzen no timed relays re-entry you get a 2nd chance and don't have to have mechanical 100 % reliability . Still frustrating to have off shots blame it on wind or load when it's due to cheap scope.   Top quality not much price difference internal or external. Leupold targets going for near 1000 bucks. Good used Unertl's same.

Boats

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Boats,

Leupold has a bunch of target scopes (at least scopes labeled as target and having micrometer adjustment turrents), ranging from 6X42mm FX3 fixed power and 12X40mm FX3 up through several VX3 models to both fixed and variable models with 30mm tubes, up to 45X40mm etc. fixed magnification 30mm tube scopes. Prices range from about $500 to over $1000.

Question: Do your comments about repeatability of sight settings for Leupold target scopes apply only to 30mm tube fixed scope of 35-45X or to Leupold's entire line of target scopes, or????

I ask because I hope to get into Scheutzen soon but have serious eye and other problems that present a sizable measure of uncertainty about ability to aim precisely enough. Because of this I am reluctant to spend high $$$ for quality and magnification I will not be able to use but, repeatability remains essential. Because of age, I cannot expect even a decade of use.

Leupold does have reticles (duplex) I know my crappy old eyes can use. Presently I am much less certain about my ability to use simple crosshair or dot reticles in Unertl, Lyman, etc. 3/4" external adjustment scopes. I do use a MVA 6X scope with only reticle they ever offered that I can use (and no longered offered -- 4" or 6" aperture duplex).

Thanks,
Grisen

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Look at the Sightron or the Weaver T series a lot more bang for your buck.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint